PDA

View Full Version : How to go about forming a new guild in 3.2

Bigtime
08-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey guys,

I've been raiding with a casual guild for a couple of months now, clearing Naxx 25 each week and gearing up considerably in a short space of time. There are some problems in the guild, however, and I've decided to do something I've wanted to do for a long time - form my own guild.

However, where I'm a little indecisive is how to go about entering raiding with a newly formed guild now that the Emblems system has changed so radically. It seems fairly obsolete farming Naxx for gear when superior gear is so readily available from vendors.

I'm basically torn between three ideas:

1. Split our raiding time 50/50 with a) working on Glory of the Raider achievements in 10 and 25 man Naxx and b) tackling the early Ulduar bosses.

2. Just running Ulduar and skipping Naxx entirely.

3. Running Ulduar and working on the Coliseum bosses as they are released, as any other guild that has been raiding since WotLK launch would.

I'm leaning towards 3, although I'm not really sure how feasible this idea is. The last thing I want to do is round up a bunch of scrubs who have farmed heroics for a week and got mostly iLevel 226 Emblem gear, but have never raided in their lives... but at the same time, I know that there are lots of great players who haven't raided (I was one of them until recently) and I'd like to give them a chance, since it's unlikely that experienced raiders will see much appeal in a start-up guild.

Any ideas?

Bulk
08-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Cant hurt to try, right? Roll on up to Ulduar, beat on some bosses and see where you are. If you wipe all night on Razorscale then I'm afraid its back to naxx for you. IMO if you have naxx 25 on farm then you should be able to do ulduar up to and including the keepers, so just move to ulduar full time and start learning those bosses.

You could also try the first boss of the coliseum which imho isn't any harder than the siege of ulduar bosses (razorscale, ignis etc) and well worth the badges/loot.

holyjebus
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
i agree, take 10 players have a stab at 10m uld for one week then at the end of that period talk to your guild and see if you as a group are ready for it and take the step into progression. bulk has a point, if your framing 25 naxx, by following the boss guides and resources found here with a lil reasearch you can go far. also take into consideration that your new members will be looking at you for answers dont be scared to make desicions but its always a good idea to keep close and understand what they want from the game.

Penlowe
08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I've decided to do something I've wanted to do for a long time - form my own guild.

However, where I'm a little indecisive is how to go about entering raiding with a newly formed guild

This is a little like saying "my wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, in September. But I can't decide where he should go to college...". There is a whole lot of stuff that comes between birth & college, not all of it plannable or foreseen. Even if you have known all ten people since kindergarten, forming a new guild takes some set up time and getting comfortable.
Glossing over writing loot rules, conduct rules and raiding requirements because 'you already know everybody' is a very common mistake in starting a new guild with old friends. It doesn't pop up right away, but somewhere around Christmas when you have recruited more people it will.

Now, if you have done your homework, read every post stickied in the Blizz Guild Relations forum, written till your fingers hurt, have potential officers lined up, Vent & a website ready, and are now down to brass tacks, my apologies, but you didn't mention it so I can only assume you haven't.

Prexie
08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Agreed with the above poster.

Foundation is everything when forming a guild. What raids to schedule is the last thing to decide and is really dependent on who you get.

-Form a goal for the guild
-Make your expectations clear and concise (guild charter)
-Make forums/website
-establish loot system that coincides with your goals and expectations

You have a long process ahead.

Sedgewick
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I think they key item that you need to focus on is creating a list of expectations, then sticking to it like a rock. No, players won't rain down upon your guild in the first week, but if you have exceptional goals and a stable game plan, you'll soon find others who think along your lines.

Being GM, you will be the solid rock that your members lean and depend upon. It is up to you to make decisions and lead towards success. Stick to your guns, keep walking forward, and make friends along the way. You'll be raiding in no time.

Guild leadership is not an easy task, but it can be a rewarding one if done correctly.

-Sedge

Meldwyn
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Sedge,

Just spent some time on your website... Great stuff! (found it because of your signature). I have it book marked as well now. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, give fresh ideas, and provide solid advice for guild leaders and followers alike. If only more folks would just research things WoW would be a totally different community.

Meldwyn

P.S. I would love to know how you summoned your entire raid to Gubushi (sp?) arena?

Sedgewick
08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Thank you sir.

There's plenty of class/spec/etc write-ups, but not many for guild leadership. It seems there was a need for a stable resource, and it's something that I've wanted to do, so I jumped on it. In the near future, we'll have a forum released as well and all that jazz.

I appreciate your compliments, I do what I can.

-Sedge

**Oh, and it took a handful of warlocks and too many people in on the plan. Divide the summon list, and have clickers assigned so you get people there asap before word starts spreading in /gchat. Once there, disband raid and it's a ffa before they try to hearth. ; )

Sorry OP if this has taken from your post/question, please respond to the ideas presented so we can fine tune our suggestions.