PDA

View Full Version : Warrior gear question

Ontarin
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Boots of Heartfelt Repentance - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47201)

vs.

Kyzoc's Ground Stompers - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40743)

For ulduar hard mode tanking (10man). Idk whether to go with eh expertise and stam, or avoidance. Because im already running a *%@#ton of expertise. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is there really anything worth buying with conquest besides the runed orbs for the belt? I already have the chest, and a pretty good helmet (10freya one.)

New question, gloves from badges worth it? I know tier is better, but i can't seem to win a roll on anything to save my life.

Griff
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Boots of heartfelt repentance win. More dodge, more stam (with an epic gem of course) and expertise.

Insahnity
08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
if you need the stats that are on Kyzoc's, go for it, it is an ilvl 213 vs the ilvl 200. Just because you can squeeze out a bit of extra stam, doesn't mean you ignore the other stats you are getting out of it. I would only take Heartfelt Repentance if I need an extra gem slot to specifically gem for, such as expertise (which you have already said you don't need) or +hit.

Look at it this way, assuming you gem with an epic gem (thereby increasing the value of heartfelt repentance, as it is budgeted for blue gems), and you stick in a dodge/stam gem (10 dodge and 15+6 stam)

The socketed boots have
39 less armor
34 less strength
3 less defense
34 less parry
29 more expertise you don't need
16 more dodge
9 more stam

or if you socket with a 30 stam thereby losing stamina socket bonus
39 less armor
34 less strength
3 less defense
34 less parry
29 more expertise you don't need
6 more dodge
18 more stam

To me, the loss in threat and mitigation to gain 9 stam (or even 18 stam) is just not worth it. Might as well run in icebane boots with 2 stam gems, if you are stam crazy.

Ontarin
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Alright, now i'm wondering about the badge gear. The t8.5 helm doesn't look that good (shield block rating /facepalm). And, while i have t7 gloves (bad bad bad bad bad), i don't know whether to wait for something better, such as t8 glvoes from freya or such, or buy the badge ones (which don't look fantastic.) Nothing else looks that good, I have the quest to get the neck from 25maly. And the runed orbs for the belt im going to buy, so i can use emblems for other things. Any suggestions on a tanking purchase?

Insahnity
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Although its popularity has gone down in recent years, Thotbott is pretty decent for doing item searches. For example, if you want a helm,
Search Armor with the following constraints
Head slot
Plate
Epic quality
level 80-<blank>
Item level 219 (219 is U10, you can bump up to 226 as T8.5 is 226)
Stat -> from dropdown box select defense, and set value to greater than 1

Search!

you will see a list of helms from U10 all the way to T9ish stuff. Some of it will be pally DK, but the list is small enough to parse. Then you can explore each item to see where it drops, etc. It also have mouseover to see what stats are in it, and discard those with SBV or whatever.

Having said that, there is only one ilvl226 tank plate helm with no SBV, helm of the faceless, drops of general in U25. That is your only competitor to tier helm. Otherwise you are dropping down to ilvl219, U10 Freya tank helm or something from HToC. The Freya one is better since it gives slightly more armor and defense, and has dodge and expertise over the HToC's Parry and Hit, but the HToC has a blue gem instead of Freya's yellow slot, giving it a stam edge. The HToC to me is best suited for a Dk/paladin.

For gloves, nose to the grindstone, keep at VOA25 and OS25. Between those and your raiding, something will drop.

For belt, although you could buy the runed orbs for the superior crafted belt, the badge belt is actually not too bad.

Finally for the love of all that is tankable, FREAKING ARMORY LINK! :D

Muffin Man
08-07-2009, 01:23 PM
To me, the loss in threat and mitigation to gain 9 stam (or even 18 stam) is just not worth it. Might as well run in icebane boots with 2 stam gems, if you are stam crazy.

Unless you're at the hard cap (56 expertise or so). I'm pretty sure the expertise beats the loss in strength threat wise.

For the record what is too much expertise?

Also the t8.5 helm and chest are a little mediocre but I don't believe there's a good tanking chest in Ulduar anyways (haven't seen one in 10 man anyways) and you really grab them for the 4 piece bonus, which will help for hard modes.

The conquest tank gear is kind of meh to me. I suppose the belt is a good compliment to the crafted one (one has hit, one has more avoidance). So if you have the emblems go nuts. The gloves are pretty similar to the T8 ones minus set bonus. The legs are again similar to the T8 ones which isn't that great to begin with.

veneretio
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
If you've got a lot of Expertise already then Kyzoc's Ground Stompers - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40743) are the better piece in every way.

Ontarin
08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodscalp&n=Ontarin)

Armory link, sorry, used to the WoW forums. Anyways, I'm pretty sure ill stick with kyzoc's. T8.5 chest wasn't super great, but it was a big upgrade for me. Neither is the t8.5 helm, but i may buy it to go for the 4pc bonus. BUT I CAN'T GET ANY OTHER T8. Also, i only raid uld 10 really. I am guildless, and i don't think that will change anytime soon.

Ontarin
08-08-2009, 11:07 AM
up for great justice