PDA

View Full Version : Returning to WoW and looking for info

psinister
08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Preample:
========
Please forgive me. Wall o' text below. I have so many ideas and questions floating in my head. The content below was the quickest and easiest way (for me) put it to electronic paper and get it in front of the proper group of eyeballs. I know I have lots of reading up to do and I'm asking a lot. Your candid responses are greatly appreciated.

Scenario:
========
I've been out of the game since like October/ November 2008 due to lots of family, work, and other RL issues. Things are a bit more settled now.

I was one of the maintanks of my guild. I pushed hard to gear fast in TBC, but made it 80 after all the other well geared did (PC died and couldn't fix it fast enuff).

So, I'm looking to jump back into wow. I have several toons, but my warrior I miss the most, and for him I'm most concerned. I'm concerned because I don't know the "real" state of the class and game, and a new patch is rolling in. I have no idea what the social arena will be like on my server when I log in. I'm unguilded and behind many others in character progression and knowledge.

My warrior was in blue/epic crafted and dungeon items. I don't remember doing WotLK heroics and I've never been to Naxxramas. You won't find him on wowarmory so, you will have to look him up on wowhead profiler (no giggling please):

Profiles - World of Warcraft (http://profiler.wowhead.com/?profiles)

- US Realms
- Turalyon Server
- Psinister

What I need to know:
===================
1) Where do we suck at and where do we excel?... in terms of specific fights, running heroics, gearing up for raids, tanking/dps performance in raids, specifics in class mechanics, etc.

2) Is there a list of ranking the difficulty of each heroic instance... hardest to easiest? or... is there a guide that says "do [X] heroics until you have [Y] gear/stats then run them all."

3) What stats/gear are must haves to tank heroics successfully, without causing healer heart attack?
(I use to farm heroics in TBC, marathon style, with the exception of H shattered halls and was progressing thru T5 and a got to pug a bit of Black Temple. I was constantly asked to run heroics cuz I did well when compared to pallies.)

4) What gear/stats are must haves for tanking all of Naxx without causing healer heart attack or telling the dps to back off or wait (assuming dps are similar geared in the must haves to run naxx).

5) I'm sure there are guides for gearing up for Naxx and the other WotLK raids. Can someone post some links? Gracias... Gracias... Gracias.

6) What is/was the raid progression in WotLK as compared to TBC? For me in TBC it was hit 70, gear for and run Kara. After that it was Kara --> Gruul --> Mag --> SSC --> TK --> ZA --> BT --> Sunwell in that order.
(I never ran sunwell, only farmed the trash at the very beginning of the instance. I've only pugged BT a few times so I never really got to know that place well.)

7) What is the general opinion of warriors as PvE dps and tank, coming from the *other* classes?...
[] good
[] bad
[] meh
[] horrible
[] terrible
[] they are awesome
[] dime a dozen
[] "don't need 'em and we don't bring 'em"
[] "You!... Warrior!... tank nao! Please?! /puppy eyes"
[] "look a warrior... lol... reroll foo"
[] "a skilled warrior tank?!... /wet undergarments"
[] Warriors are OP plain and simple
[] other and/or mixed

8) Is there is list of ranking the difficulty of the 10 and 25 man raids... hardest to easiest?

9) What stats/stamina = this warrior is well geared for heroics and raids

10) Tanking rotation and theory crafting info. Pass me some links please.
Gracias... Gracias... Gracias.

11) What do you experienced tanks hate the most and love the most about playing a warrior in WotLK?

12) Same question for #11 but for dps warriors?

13) DPS warriors... go go TG with 2x 2h, or 2h + 1h, or 2x 1h, or go go Arms? I'm talking for PvE raiding.

14) Anyone have links to strats / vids for heroics? I'm pretty sure there are some for raids. I remember tank spot having a vid of the first WotLK dungeon.

15) Advice for addons...

16) Links to guides and advice for:
- pallies (tank/dps/healer)
- druid (tank/kitty dps/healer)
- DK (tank/dps)

I have one of each but only my warrior is 80. The other toons are 70-72 I think.

Thanks in advance. Gracias. Thanks. Gracias.

Symcity
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I actually see more warriors as dps these days more than anything else. They tend to do well in pve and pvp.

Griff
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
1) Where do we suck at and where do we excel?... in terms of specific fights, running heroics, gearing up for raids, tanking/dps performance in raids, specifics in class mechanics, etc.

We do fine as main tanks, sub-par as offtanks due to the way rage works, but if you tanked in BC, you know how it is. We have less cooldowns than our DK brethern, but warriors can tank anything in the game. There are definitely some fights that are a little easier for non-warrior tanks and some that are better.

2) Is there a list of ranking the difficulty of each heroic instance... hardest to easiest? or... is there a guide that says "do [X] heroics until you have [Y] gear/stats then run them all."

If you did progression raiding as a tank in BC, naxx 10/25 should be a faceroll. No CC, just gather trash and AoE it to death. Bosses don't hit that hard and fight mechanics are entry level stuff. Sartharion in Obsidian Sanctum is a total faceroll if you don't fiddle with the hard modes and Eye of Eternity (Malygos) will be the toughest of the entry level raids and I'd suggest that you work up an entry level epic threat set before you attempt to tank it as a war due to the mechanics of the encounter.

Ulduar 10 is pretty easy too, not a face roll, but not a wipeathon for most groups - Ulduar 25 is more challenging with a few tricky encounters but its definitely not a sunwell, or even a BT.

3) What stats/gear are must haves to tank heroics successfully, without causing healer heart attack?

Heroics are generally pretty easy. H-Halls of Lightning and H-Old Kingdom are probably the two hardest. I'd want a defense rating of 535 and 21-24k health before I started heroics. Crafted blues will give you all the defense and stam that you need.

4) What gear/stats are must haves for tanking all of Naxx without causing healer heart attack or telling the dps to back off or wait (assuming dps are similar geared in the must haves to run naxx).

Again, naxx, particularly 10 man, is pretty easy. I'd shoot for 540 defense and ~25k health unbuffed.

5) I'm sure there are guides for gearing up for Naxx and the other WotLK raids. Can someone post some links? Gracias... Gracias... Gracias.

Gear guides can be found in this forum - look at the stickies.

6) What is/was the raid progression in WotLK as compared to TBC? For me in TBC it was hit 70, gear for and run Kara. After that it was Kara --> Gruul --> Mag --> SSC --> TK --> ZA --> BT --> Sunwell in that order.
(I never ran sunwell, only farmed the trash at the very beginning of the instance. I've only pugged BT a few times so I never really got to know that place well.)

I'd want to run some heroics and brush up on my skills - tanking as a warrior has changed alot since BC. Heroic throw, shockwave, vigilance and imrpoved charge give us a lot of mobility and some AoE tanking capabilities.

As I said before, Naxx and OS are facerolls and can be contemptuously dispatched by experienced players in short order. Eye of Eternity is a little more challenging due to a higher requirement for individual performance but would still equate to t4.

Ulduar's next up and would fit well into the same place that Tempest Keep did in BC.

7) What is the general opinion of warriors as PvE dps and tank, coming from the *other* classes?...

There are other classes? A good tank is a good tank and if you do your job, you'll always be able to find a group, regardless of class. Warriors are fun to tank on and we can get the job done. They can and have tanked everything in the game but we're not the dominant tank we once were. Warrior DPS isn't at the top of the charts, but well-played warriors can produce some solid numbers and provide some key raid buffs/debuffs.

8) Is there is list of ranking the difficulty of the 10 and 25 man raids... hardest to easiest?

You kind of have a habit of asking the same questions but with different wording.

9) What stats/stamina = this warrior is well geared for heroics and raids

Armory down but I answered this question already. Depends on the raid - well geared ulduar tanks are rolling with ~33-36k health hit capped, expertise soft capped while ~28-29k is good for Snaxx. Heroics, 535 defense and enough health to keep your healers from wanting to cut themselves in frustration.

10) Tanking rotation and theory crafting info. Pass me some links please.

No more rotations, instead, we now use priority trees depending on cooldown procs.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/41426-ideal-warrior-single-target-threat-rotation.html

11) What do you experienced tanks hate the most and love the most about playing a warrior in WotLK?

Tanking, mobility and trash tanking are more funner on a warrior. Offtanking, spotty rage generation in some fights and sub-par dps as a tank are non-good.

12) Same question for #11 but for dps warriors?

No clue, don't dps much.

13) DPS warriors... go go TG with 2x 2h, or 2h + 1h, or 2x 1h, or go go Arms? I'm talking for PvE raiding.

Arms is the new hotness for dps but I know little about such things.

14) Anyone have links to strats / vids for heroics? I'm pretty sure there are some for raids. I remember tank spot having a vid of the first WotLK dungeon.

15) Advice for addons...

Don't need alot. I like to run Omen, pitbull or xperl, dominos for toolbars and some sort of taunt warning/aggro warning addon.

16) Links to guides and advice for:
- pallies (tank/dps/healer)
- druid (tank/kitty dps/healer)
- DK (tank/dps)

Google is your friend.

psinister
08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info Griff.

Doormat
08-12-2009, 01:19 AM
I'll agree completely with griff and add the following:

I like off-tanking I think it gives me a lot more freedom to use some abilities I dont normally get to use like intervene.

DPSing: Until you are ulduar geared you will likely find arms to have higher raid dps. I use arms as an off spec because I have a mix of heroic gear and naxx gear.

The one thing I hate is any sort of wave fight. The issue is that as warriors, our primary aoe threat moves are shockwave (20 sec cooldown, can be talented down to 15) and Thunderclap (6 sec cooldown). In a fight where waves are coming at you rather quickly, it can be tough to generate threat on all of them. I avoid these fights at all costs and always opt for a different option (I tank thorim gauntlet for my 10 man raid and not the arena for this reason).

psinister
08-13-2009, 06:29 AM
I did 10man Naxx for the first time yesterday and I see what you mean Doormat about wave fights. What I don't like is blizzard gives the warrior class these great abilities (t-clap, shockwave, etc) and then designs encounters that negate them. I chose JC/Blacksmithing instead of engineering so I don't have bombs and gadgets to help compensate for a lack of a built-in ability. I'm sure there are ways to handle wave/gauntlet encounters without engineering and without depending on other classes to assist.

I was off tanking and we had a guildie DK to main tank. It worked out ok. No wipes. I got 4 tanking pieces and 2 dps pieces so no complaints from me.

Are there tanks out there solo tanking Naxx by now?

Vorla
08-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Naxx has several fights that require two (or more) tanks because of mechanics (All of Military quarter, Thaddius) and because of stacking damage (Gluth, Patch) but a lot of the encounters are doable with just one (all of Arachnid quarter, Grobbulus, Saphiron, Kel'Thuzad (although hard), especially once people start overgearing the content. Naxx-10 is supposed to be hard in 187 blues and random green stuff but is a faceroll when everyone has an average ilvl of above 220 (and is well easy at the 200-213 mark as well).