PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Thorim (Hard Mode)

Ciderhelm
08-03-2009, 06:31 AM
qk7naVKc3kU

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Ciderhelm
08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Donor download is available now.

Mr.Winkle
08-03-2009, 08:33 AM
In the video Lore states that you have to clear the gauntlet in 2 mins to activate hard mode, yet from my 10man runs it would appear Sif leaves at 3mins (according to DBM at least).

Is this a difference between 10 and 25?

Magnuss
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Just something you might want to consider for future movies. While I know we all use some complex UIs and they give us various amounts of useful information, it is pretty hard to see anything that other players or even the tank is doing through Lore's UI. Since this fight is huge on position and execution, having something a little more clear and distinct could go a long way in people seeing how the actual raid is assigned.

Turelliax
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
nice ty

Xercxes
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Are there not going to be any transcriptions of this fight. I might be jumping the gun on this but I am just wanting to make sure about this.

Lore
08-03-2009, 11:28 AM
In the video Lore states that you have to clear the gauntlet in 2 mins to activate hard mode, yet from my 10man runs it would appear Sif leaves at 3mins (according to DBM at least).

I believe I misspoke on the video

Lore
08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Just something you might want to consider for future movies. While I know we all use some complex UIs and they give us various amounts of useful information, it is pretty hard to see anything that other players or even the tank is doing through Lore's UI. Since this fight is huge on position and execution, having something a little more clear and distinct could go a long way in people seeing how the actual raid is assigned.

This is much much easier said than done. Keep in mind that we're filming these as part of our actual raids -- I tried calling Thorim for a one-on-one video shoot, but he didn't pick up his phone and hasn't been returning my messages ;).

All of the addons on my screen (with the exception of EventHorizon, which I'll be getting rid of) are there because I use them. I try to keep my UI as clean as possible, but there's simply a lot of information I need to be available in an instant in order to do my job properly. I could, in theory, slim everything down to a "just the mob's HP and my action bars" setup, but I imagine you'd see a lot less videos coming from me if that were the case ;)

In addition, I'm not sure you'd really be able to see much more even if I ALT-Z'd the whole thing. It's a very hectic fight, and even I'm not completely certain what it looks like from the perspective of, say, a Mage for example, even after several nights of progression attempts.

Del
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
In the video you said that the haste aura is raid wide. I was under the impression that it was party wide. Can anyone confirm?

Murava
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
In the video you said that the haste aura is raid wide. I was under the impression that it was party wide. Can anyone confirm?

I would think it is raid wide because everyone in the raid will get the achievement if only 1 is mind controlled. Considering that you must have the buff on you the moment he dies in order to get the achievement, it would lead me to believe it is not just the party gaining the buff.

ttocs
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Used to be group-only, was patched to be raid-wide.

Gnurken
08-04-2009, 04:37 AM

It's 3 minutes in both 10 and 25man, although by the time the Thorim speech is complete and casting time of "opening" the gate you are down to about 2min 43sec left.

The checkpoint timers I use (from DBMs timer) is
* Pulling the first miniboss at about 1:50 left, it should die in 30sec
* Pulling the 2nd miniboss at about 1:05 left on timer.
* Hunter runs away towards Thorim at 30sec left (we still down in the stairs by then) and a few sec later I run after the hunter, using Intervene to catch up,
* Pulling Thorim at 6-7sec left on timer. Either with just charge or hunter shoots and I charge and jump down.

in 10mans it's significantly easier and gauntlet is usualy done in less than 2 minutes.

Having troubles meeting these times in 25man means you need to transfer more people into gauntlet. We use 1 tank, 2 healers and 7 or 8 dps:ers.

As Lore says, find the balance for your raid, people still need to survive and keep numbers of adds in the arena down so they are not swarmed.

Valasca
08-05-2009, 02:30 AM
I was wondering how many tanks you use in the arena. My guild uses only one tank but that leads to random people getting aggro from time to time including the priests leading to a death. Our tanks in the tunnel say they can't do it without 2.

Anu
08-05-2009, 06:58 AM
We in The Untouchables on Runetotem have been useing 2-3 raids getting this fight as down as possible.

In the tunnel I'm usually the tank that does this, we take a rogue to kill the healer mob while I take on the 1st melee mob.. once this is at 40% ish I move to the 2nd and get a threat lead on it before it's nuked to bits. This is ofc repeated for the 2nd group and then it's on to the 1st mini boss.

On the stairs I make sure the 2 caster/healer mobs are dead and 1 of the 2 melee mobs are dead (can't remember there names :P ) then I run for the 2nd mini boss with about 1 min 10 ish left on the hard mode timer. We have usually about 10 secs left of the timer bt the time thorim engaged.

I've found that it's not really hard to beat the timer, BUT you dps have to be on the ball or it's failure all the way.

We also use 2 tanks in the arena to control the adds with one priest to mind control a mob.

We have done this mod several times but sometimes it get's really messy. It's mostly about positions and cooldown management as when thorim get's to about 8 buffs he starts to hit a little hard.

Altho I was chained last week for 44k :D

Interesting fight indeed.

Gorio
08-06-2009, 04:06 AM
It is mentioned in the video that it is recommended to get at least 1 piece frost resist gear to reduce frost damage. Is there any preference of which one is better to invest on (like chestpiece, belt or boots) ?

Anu
08-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I've tried it with frost kit and without .. I usually go with the avoidence boost as he eventually hits like a truck.

If your defence stats etc are up to it just pick the one with the highest frost value. Afterall there are only 3 pieces anyways :)

Gnarg
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
As a tank you should never wear frost resist on thorim, the frost damage is insignificant compared to his insane melee damage.

For a caster just take the item where you lose least stats, likely belt or boots.

Kazeyonoma
08-12-2009, 11:07 PM
ugh

bugged arena mobs wiped us several times tonight, mobs running from arena into gauntlet required us having a holy paladin drop consecrate by the door, and then we were having close to double the arena mobs jumping down. Blizzard recognizes this as a bug but no hotfix as of Wednesday Night yet.

ltsurge117
08-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Hey Lore, just wondering what that cool-down add-on you have is called. (above you chat frame) looked it up in you UI section in the forums but I didn't see it there.

Mookey
08-19-2009, 04:55 AM
ugh

bugged arena mobs wiped us several times tonight, mobs running from arena into gauntlet required us having a holy paladin drop consecrate by the door, and then we were having close to double the arena mobs jumping down. Blizzard recognizes this as a bug but no hotfix as of Wednesday Night yet.

We just tank first 2 waves @ doors then we move to center. Can be problem if he charge pilon next to the doors tho.

Predakhan
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
ugh

We found that as long as everyone in the gauntlet has moved up around the corner before the mobs drop down then they will not run into the gauntlet after them.