PDA

View Full Version : Hit capped but dots resist

uglybbtoo
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I know there are alot on tankspot who know about caps so I thought I would ask this mage question because I can't find answer anywhere?

I am hit capped on mage running 434 hit .. tool tip shows 17.56% and I never miss on heroic target dummy.

However I note that living bomb ticks are resisted partially alot what stat controls DOT's missing on a mage DOT?

Bulk
07-29-2009, 02:03 AM
A resist is not the same as a miss, and as far as I'm aware isn't affected by the amount of hit you have.

I tried looking for numbers but I couldnt find any, however I think that some mobs (boss mobs mostly I would think..) have a certain amount of resistance to some magical schools (same way players can). When you get resists with your living bomb, I guess those mobs have some fire resistance.

Vorla
07-30-2009, 02:30 AM
Bosses have a certain passive resistance to all magic schools that cannot be mitigated simply by being a few levels above the caster, for the same reasons we need more hit to hit boss level mobs than same-level mobs. I assume you are draenai or have a draenai in your group, cause other fire mages need 446 hit from gear and you state you are above the cap, and in any case, it's spell penetration that works against resists, not hit/miss mechanics. Stacking spell penetration is not an answer however, since the level difference cannot be closed via spell penetration like hit can. You simply have to live with partial resists on boss-level mobs.

uglybbtoo
07-31-2009, 01:05 AM
I am going off

Spell hit - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit)

FFB spec with http://www.wowwiki.com/Elemental_Precision_(mage_talent)

Brings it down to 368 I believe ... but as I was saying I am not getting any misses but resistances to Living bomb ticks lots.

Vorla
07-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, 368 if you happen to be Frostfire. But again, your DoT reists stem from the normal boss mechanics and you cannot overcome it.

Here's a parse from a Freya fight I did (as Fire, well over the cap, as you can see from the rest of the report - 0% misses) where she resisted 20 of the the DoT ticks on her: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/auAeWjX3QwQYY9YD/spell/55360/?s=6796&e=7210)

uglybbtoo
07-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks Vorla thats what I was trying to understand and check.

Vorla
07-31-2009, 03:47 AM
Happy to help. :)

Edgar
07-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Hit doesn't lower resist, Spell Penetration does. Not sure if it's needed in a PvE environment as I understand it is a PvP stat only.

Vorla
07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Hit doesn't lower resist, Spell Penetration does. Not sure if it's needed in a PvE environment as I understand it is a PvP stat only.

No, you don't need it (or even want it as it does absolutely nothing) in PvE. Boss-level mobs have 6% magic damage mitigation that cannot be overcome in any way.

As was stated.

EDIT: For bosses that have more than normal resistances (Sapphiron) it's always better to respec than to stack spell penetration, if you happen to be a Frost mage.