PDA

View Full Version : tanking glove enchant?

ghengas
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Still maxing my spec and looking at ways to improve. Running a few heroics and still getting beat down pretty good by the trash pulls of elites and my guildie healer is having a hard time keeping me up.

Should I use the engineering tinker (800 AC) or the armsman enchant?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Grizzly+Hills&cn=Ghengas&gn=Mark+of+the+Land)

I'm waiting on titanweave to be made by a guildie. Any other input would be well appreciated.

bigbillybeef
07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I would go with the 800ac.

I loved the 2% threat enchant in TBC but we needed it back then. Threat is generally not an issue in Wrath however, so the Armsman enchant would be best suited to a dedicated threat piece.

tuffmuffin
07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
If your healer is having a hard time keeping you up, why would you ever consider Armsman? Even the Agility enchant is more avoidance than that is currently. I'd stick with the armor.

Although looking at your gear, it looks like it may be more an issue with your healer...

Blue
07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
I agree...it's not an equipment/stat issue. It's more likely to be a problem with mechanics, such as pulls, hit rotation, positioning, timing or some combination of that. I think it may be a good idea to discuss strat with your healer. Maybe there's a miss-communication there? One possible scenario might be (not saying there is, can't know) that you rush ahead to aggro your trash group, and the healer is suddenly out of range to heal you for that few seconds when you start your rotation. By the time he gets within range, your already low on health, and his big heal takes time to cast. Solution: tell at least him that your charging, not pulling, or vice-versa, or have a Hot put on you, just before your charge. I think it really could be something simple as that.

Your stats are fine...hit rating and weapon upgrade are the only things that "stand out", to me, as being in need of work, right now.

Also, I noticed you have glyph of block, which is fine, but shouldn't you have more Shield spec talent, to take advantage of that? (Actually, that's more of a question, on my part, than and indictment of your choices, as I really don't know!)

orcstar
07-28-2009, 01:59 AM
The Alpha strike:
Especially when facing melee heavy groups, when you run in, they can all instantly hit you with their undebuffed attacks all at the same time, this can hurt.
Rushing into a trashpack at least go in with shieldblock up, it's probably available every pack, also make sure, very sure that after a charge you position yourself so that ALL mobs are in front of you and none are hitting you in the back. This mitigates a lot of damage.

Also: shieldwall and last stand: use them, often, especially on trash, no need really t save them for that oh-shit moment in heroics.

mattdeeze
07-28-2009, 02:35 AM
The engineering enchant is awesome. If I was an engineer I would definately use it. As long as you dont have threat issues, it is the way to go for you. Never, ever underestimate the value of armor. Its contribution to time to live is almost linear, and it scales with talents.

However since you are a warrior you will come to a point where threat will be an issue and armsman may be a more viable alternative in your threat gear. But having the option for the 800 armor chant will pay dividends again once you can build sets for threat and mitigation.

ghengas
07-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys.

It seems its the first few seconds of a trash pull when I have 3-4 elites beating on me. I also think I may have been letting some mobs get behind me while positioning them.

gabbu
07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Also, I noticed you have glyph of block, which is fine, but shouldn't you have more Shield spec talent, to take advantage of that? (Actually, that's more of a question, on my part, than and indictment of your choices, as I really don't know!)

IT depends on your situation gear level and what stuff you are tanking, Block Value and Block Rating has generally been pretty close to meh when tanking hard-hitting bosses is concerned due to the miniscule amount if mitigation it provides.

The build OP is has is a pretty standard protection warrior threat build mostly used for heroics/naxx (read trigger happy DPS), so all in all he has 2 points to shuffle around and 2% crit wins over 2% chance to block (remember warrior is not blocking every hit like a paladin), but again those 2 points are movable and if you check my spec I use them with a glyph to get 2 min Shield Wall.

Hope that clarifies

Blue
08-03-2009, 07:03 AM
IT depends on your situation gear level and what stuff you are tanking, Block Value and Block Rating has generally been pretty close to meh when tanking hard-hitting bosses is concerned due to the miniscule amount if mitigation it provides.

The build OP is has is a pretty standard protection warrior threat build mostly used for heroics/naxx (read trigger happy DPS), so all in all he has 2 points to shuffle around and 2% crit wins over 2% chance to block (remember warrior is not blocking every hit like a paladin), but again those 2 points are movable and if you check my spec I use them with a glyph to get 2 min Shield Wall.

Hope that clarifies

Why, yes, it does, and thank you!

I was aware of the meh value of block mechanics, but was wondering why glyph for it at all, if not supporting the glyph with talent (or, vice versa). Interesting, on the crit--I'm assuming you're referring to the Cruelty talent? I had thought of selecting that, to help with damage/threat, but it just seemed so, well, "untankish", I guess!;)

Anyway, I'll give it a shot, since Heroics/Sarth/and Naxx seems to be where I'm at, these days...

gabbu
08-10-2009, 04:19 AM
The reason you use Glyph of Blocking is Shield Slam our main threat attack scales of BV and 10% extra BV from a glyph is much easier choice than juggling talents.

Blocking is a pretty standard glyph for a warrior tank and I am yet to find a reason not to use it. There are other glyphs which people argue to be better but lot of the choices depend upon what gear level you have and what are you tanking?

During our raids we tanks switch roles every boss, pull etc etc so its not always guaranteed than I will be tanking the boss all the time. Thus my gear/talent/glyph choices reflect that. I am not a big fan of dual-prot specs and I really like to take a break from tanking once in a while to DPS, I like being good at all aspects of a warrior. Plus for our 25 mans I am usually DPS.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.