PDA

View Full Version : what kind of spec should i use?

Thad
07-26-2009, 10:13 PM
ok so as a prot warrior i enjoy tanking, but my guild wants me to be able to dps when called on so since one spec is expected to be dps I'm stuck on figuring out what spec to use for prot since there are different variations.

i just have problems on deciding which talents to get, i mean i enjoy having deep wounds for threat, but i know imp demo shout is good to have, i have trouble giving up imp spell reflect since there are fights where it helps like with mimiron (but i guess it isn't the best one to take).

so what kind of spec would you recommend for a tank who can only have 1 tank spec?

Thad
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
60 views and noone has any idea?

sajaki
07-28-2009, 03:45 AM
for dps, i'm currently 53/17/1 specced as arms, and 14/3/54 for protection, which is more of a threat build. however my main problem is getting dps warrior gear, as i dont have any.

Thaak
07-28-2009, 04:18 AM
For maximum theoretical DPS, the spec will depend on what gear you have access to, which you did not provide. For actual dps it will be a combination of what gear you have access to, and your skill level with both arms and fury, which you did not provide. There are also several talents that you may, or may not, need to pick up based on your raid composition, which you also did not provide.

For the tank spec question, are you MT or OT, what content are you in, is it 10 or 25 man, what is your gear like?

Basically what i'm saying is, if you want help, give us something to work with. You just saying "I need help", without giving us a clear picture of where you are, doesn't give us the perspective we need to help you.

Thad
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
umm... i thought i was clear in my original post but i guess i wasn't.

I'm not looking for a dps spec, what I'm looking for is a prot spec, since i can only have one i can't decide on how to spec for it.

yes i usually MT most bosses the tanks kinda take turns depending on the fight. we focus mainly on 25man content while doing 10 mans on the side. my tank gear is mostly from 25 man ulduar (we've cleared up to yogg) not sure what else to say on that.

this is how I'm currently speced for prot atm:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItMg0didczsGo:TrAzMm)

Griff
07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
The spec depends entirely on the content that you're tanking. Are you guys working on Ulduar HM? Farming Naxx? Are you frequently the MT or do you find yourself off-tanking more often than not?

The spec you listed is fine for most content. If you're doing a lot of naxx with good healers, well-geared dps, you might want to drop 2-3 points out of shield spec or improved discipline and pick up some cruelty for the extra crit and glyph into cleave..but its very situational.

Can you also provide an armory link?

Dubzil
07-28-2009, 10:19 AM
15/3/53 works fine, 2 min shield wall, good survivability and good threat. You're not losing too much not picking up imp demo. I find demo's a hard debuff to keep up anyways, it seems to drop off bosses after 1-2 seconds, and you're stuck spamming it to keep it up - not very good for main tanking when you're fighting threat against dpsers.

Thad
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
The spec depends entirely on the content that you're tanking. Are you guys working on Ulduar HM? Farming Ulduar? Are you frequently the MT or do you find yourself off-tanking more often than not?

The spec you listed is fine for most content. If you're doing a lot of naxx with good healers, well-geared dps, you might want to drop 2-3 points out of shield spec or improved discipline and pick up some cruelty for the extra crit and glyph into cleave..but its very situational.

Can you also provide an armory link?

we are doing some hardmodes in ulduar 10 but in 25 man we are still working on yogg. as for mt vs ot its kinda 50/50 with the bosses (MT-vezax, OT-freya,MT-hodir. that kind of deal).

hard to provide armory since i usually end up logging off dps.

Qwolzor
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
You MT both Vezax and Hodir, both encounters where threat matters a lot, I think you could answer the question your self. ;)

That being said:
Get one of your dps-warriors to specc into imp. demoshout regardless of your spec-choice. In case you go with a imp. demoshout specc you would still want this debuff to be applied if your dpsing and in case you go with a more threat oriented specc you obviously need it as well.