PDA

View Full Version : warrior tank in uld

h4ckz
07-24-2009, 08:50 AM
So my guild is getting started with uld 25 man, and i was curious / being a warrior should i still be stacking a mixture of dodge block and parry, or as i see a lot of geared warriors (who cleared 25 uld) who seem to be dropping their parry and block for straight dodge. Also i was told my spec is a waste so any opinions there would be helpful too! I do have a lot of other peices, but was trying to get my block at around 22% and my dodge at around 25% and was always told not to care about parry...

armory isnt working because i have a funny name armory: Amaz°n im the only one... US server

pick me apart please.

Thaak
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Your armory link doesn't seem to work, atleast not for me, but i can see what it links to, so I am assuming you are Amaz°n on Hakkar.

Viridios
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Currently: Dodge > Parry > Block, I think. Stam is also important.

In the patch, Dodge is getting nerfed, Parry is staying the same and Block is getting a major buff. Don't default to passing on block gear, you might kick yourself later! [I know a mage that quit playing because pre-3.1 he had close to BiS, post 3.1 he had no spirit = no crit].

The reason Parry is generally not favored as a stat is that it speeds up [depending on boss] the attacks coming in.

h4ckz
07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Your armory link doesn't seem to work, atleast not for me, but i can see what it links to, so I am assuming you are Amaz°n on Hakkar.

yes

Thaak
07-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Currently: Dodge > Parry > Block, I think. Stam is also important.

In the patch, Dodge is getting nerfed, Parry is staying the same and Block is getting a major buff. Don't default to passing on block gear, you might kick yourself later! [I know a mage that quit playing because pre-3.1 he had close to BiS, post 3.1 he had no spirit = no crit].

The reason Parry is generally not favored as a stat is that it speeds up [depending on boss] the attacks coming in, meaning that if you parry one attack the next comes .5 seconds faster etc...

You've got a few things mixed up here. Most important is your confusion on parry hasting.

Parry hasting occurs (almost)anytime a parry occurs. BUT parry hasting happens for the party that does the parry. I.e. if the boss parries your attack, his next attack is hasted. If you parry the boss's attack, your next attack is hasted.

Now then, currently on live servers, it takes more parry rating to = 1% parry, than it does dodge rating to = 1% dodge. Parry also suffers more harshly from diminishing returns. The current PTR build require 15% more dodge rating to = 1% dodge, and 8% LESS parry rating to = 1% parry. This put them at approximately the same amount of rating required to equal 1%. HOWEVER as far as I am aware, the diminishing returns have not been adjusted, so dodge still takes the cake.

Block, while great for heroics and ok for naxx, just doesn't cut it in Ulduar. Blocking 1.5k of a 6k hit, very nice. Blocking 1.5k of a 25-30k hit, not so nice.

cen1
07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I checked out your armory, and I am assuming you are Amazon on Hakkar server.

I would start by doing some tweaking to your gems/enchants.

Change your meta gem to austere (stam & 2%armor)
Take out all your parry gems & get some more stam or expertise.
You can also play with some of the defense/stam gems. Depending on where you end up after replacing your meta, you may be able to drop some of the defense gems for more threat or more health.
You may also look into replacing your shoulder enchant to 30stam/15 resilience.
This will give you some more HP while bolstering your defense threshold.

Other than that looks pretty good all around.

Work on getting expertise soft capped, it will really benefit you in ulduar where a boss hasted attack can mean life or death.

h4ckz
07-24-2009, 10:09 AM
whats the softcap exp?

Viridios
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Expertise softcap [dodge cap] is 26. Hardcap [parry cap] is 56.

Edit: And doh, I knew that, I really did. I should have spelled it out a little more in depth though, because the way I said it does sound wrong. Here's what I meant:

Boss attacks, tank parries. This speeds up the tank's next attack.
Boss attacks and hits.
Tank parryhaste-attacks and is parried.
Boss parryhaste-attacks and gibs the tank.

If memory serves correctly, it's the same reason a tank explicitly does not want "proc an extra attack" style abilities - reduced CD's are wonderful, but things like reckoning [if it hasn't been changed since 2.x when I last looked at it] can cause parry-gibs.

cen1
26 - soft
57 - hard

h4ckz
I checked out your armory, and I am assuming you are Amazon on Hakkar server.

I would start by doing some tweaking to your gems/enchants.

Change your meta gem to austere (stam & 2%armor)
You may also look into replacing your shoulder enchant to 30stam/15 resilience.
This will give you some more HP while bolstering your defense threshold.

what do u mean when u say bolstering my defense threshold? sorry if thats a nub question

also if i take out the meta ima lose 5% block that would bring me wayy down to like 18% block is this still a viable amount?

cen1
07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah I wouldn't worry about block in ulduar... it's really not effective.

What I meant by bolstering your threshold, is that when you put on the 30stam/15 resilience enchant, it allows you to drop to I believe 536 defense rating. I say this because you have a lot of opportunities to get stamina at the loss of a little defense. This will let you dip a little under the 540 line and still be uncrittable, while not taking a huge hit in defense/avoidance.

h4ckz
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
really thats awesome i did not know that, greatly appreciated, also any tips for my spec?

cen1
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
It looks like you are rocking the standard deep wounds spec, which is a good spec. I don't really see a need to change your spec, unless you feel a reason to.

Thaak
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
also if i take out the meta ima lose 5% block that would bring me wayy down to like 18% block is this still a viable amount?
Its 5% block value, not 5% block.