PDA

View Full Version : Need an expert DK's advice.

Xeridae
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
This might be the wrong way to look at it but at what average ilvl would it be a good idea to spec blood instead of unholy for DPS?

There is a certain point when unholy stops scaling well with gear but I am not sure at what point that is.

Masto
07-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Checking your armory, I say go Unholy.

From what I've seen when I was raiding with under-geared and well-geared DK's alike, I noticed that Unholy doesn't scale as well with gear when compared to Frost/Blood.

Thus, as your gear is average (for the moment), go Unholy and Scourge Strike things to death. Plus, as you have a 2pc t7 bonus that is completely going to waste by using Blood, it is even more reason to go Unholy to utilize the +5% crit to SS.

As for your gear, fix your gems, replace the Boar Trinket with a Mirror of Truth ASAP, change your Meta as there's no reason to have -10% to Stun durations and get yourself a Sigil of Awareness.

Once you get yourself Uldar 25man + 2p t8/8.5 or better, consider spec'ing Blood. Until then, go Unholy. Oh and with the change to Unholy Blight, you MIGHT want to try the Sudden Doom/Morbity+Unholy Blight spec once 3.2 hits:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEGVh0Icboc0sxZfMhhxMz:ALazmM)

That spec doesn't feel very solid so if someone could correct it, would be much appreciated.

Silveronfire
07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
same as above, but keep the boar and drop the sphere.....you should still be hitcapped or damn near close without it. best to wean yourself off it now, unless you plan to win the trinket off 10m FL.

Molohk
07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Just to clarify, it's not Unholy that doesn't scale well, it's the cookie cutter Unholy-Blood build that doesn't scale that well because of dark conviction and subversion (but it provides a nice AP boost for lower levels of gear), so you dont have to leave unholy, you can switch to an Unholy-Frost build which performs very well at high levels of gear.

Unholy-Blood doesn't scale that well, but Unholy-Frost scales very well IMO. So if you like unholy you can start with a 17/0/54 build wich is very forgiving at low levels of gear, and once you get around T7.5 you can switch to a 0/10/61 which performs and scales better at higher levels of gear.

For more detailed info, you should check Krenian's thread: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/43016-death-knight-raid-dps-compendium-fr-bl-uh.html

Xeridae
07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Checking your armory, I say go Unholy.

From what I've seen when I was raiding with under-geared and well-geared DK's alike, I noticed that Unholy doesn't scale as well with gear when compared to Frost/Blood.

Thus, as your gear is average (for the moment), go Unholy and Scourge Strike things to death. Plus, as you have a 2pc t7 bonus that is completely going to waste by using Blood, it is even more reason to go Unholy to utilize the +5% crit to SS.

As for your gear, fix your gems, replace the Boar Trinket with a Mirror of Truth ASAP, change your Meta as there's no reason to have -10% to Stun durations and get yourself a Sigil of Awareness.

Once you get yourself Uldar 25man + 2p t8/8.5 or better, consider spec'ing Blood. Until then, go Unholy. Oh and with the change to Unholy Blight, you MIGHT want to try the Sudden Doom/Morbity+Unholy Blight spec once 3.2 hits:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent#jcEGVh0Icboc0sxZfMhhxMz:ALazmM)

That spec doesn't feel very solid so if someone could correct it, would be much appreciated.

You are definitely right about getting a Mirror of Truth. I have the sigil of awareness. I am not sure what exactly is wrong with the way I have my gems? It seems correct to me.

The comment about using an unholy build because I have 2pc of T7 doesn't make any sense though..that bonus benefits death strike as well even with 4pc T7.

To be honest with you I am actually doing more dps in blood spec although I can't really explain why because I was following the correct rotation for unholy and had the cookie cutter build. I had the correct glyphs, etc.

I also realize i have the tanking glyph on my weapon at the moment i was OT'ing and need to change it back :P

Vlad
07-27-2009, 04:40 PM
This might be the wrong way to look at it but at what average ilvl would it be a good idea to spec blood instead of unholy for DPS?

There is a certain point when unholy stops scaling well with gear but I am not sure at what point that is.

About 213, but let me help you with some of your stuff right now.

I've been blood since day one and unholy and frost specs were clearly ahead of me until I pretty much got alot of Naxx gears.

Here's some tips that'll help you right now though:
Strength gems are far better than attack power, replace anything AP with the strength equivalent.
Haste is pretty low in the order of importance, if you can replace it with crit/exp do it.. turn your str/haste gems into str/crit.
Replace the sphere (don't throw it away as it's an amazing blue if you're not hit capped) with mirror since you are way over hit cap and put 2x 27 str gems into the boar, it'll be BiS until you get a greatness/fury/GT or something like that.
Don't bother trying to get the T7 4pc bonus, it's crap and the 2pc is all you need since blood generates more RP than you will ever use. Seriously.
Your current blood spec is perfect dps wise except you want to move one point from epidemic into morbidity to get the best out of your death coils.
2/2 epidemic is pretty situational and only usefull for lazy ppl :)
Don't look at my current dps spec cos I've got fast horseys so I can whore titanium faster muahaha!

Last of all get a better weapon, your weapon is the easiest way to make significant dps jumps. Also I noticed you are currently using SSG for your rune, I'll assume you use crusader to dps?

Currently your stats look like this raid buffed (inc procs):

Strength: 1,517
Attack Power: 6,135
Hit Rating: 342
Expertise: 16
ArP: 73
Crit Chance: 29.80 %
Average DPS: 2,987.75

With the just the gem changes I've suggested and a mirror trinket you look like this:

Strength: 1,779
Attack Power: 6,419
Hit Rating: 273
Expertise: 16
ArP: 73
Crit Chance: 32.82 %
Average DPS: 3,128.83

Good luck on getting a new weapon! :)