PDA

View Full Version : Am I really ready?

zaster
07-21-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm new to the tanking, and as I was going through heroic UP [and wiped many times on the third boss,] a DK told me that I'm not ready to tank heroics because he claimed the minimum health required is 25K. After reading many of the guides here I came to the conclusion that he has no idea what he's talking about, but I want to ask some of you more knowledgable players out there if I'm really ready to start tanking heroics.

Armory is down at the moment, but I have about 24.6K health unbuffed and 546 Defense, and I'm not positive but I think my dodge+parry is around 32%~. Hit and expertise is low, but Im working to get those sorted out.

AxLxExX
07-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Back whenever Wrath launched I was tanking heroics with 19k

You're fine. Tell him to shut up.

Silveronfire
07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
wipes on the third boss are usually caused by failure to avoid pound properly OR failure to organize the add waves OR people getting butt hurt on spikes (litterally)

the pound thing is mostly on you.....make sure to tank him facing away from the party and run straight through him when he goes to do that. if you even think its going to hit you, pop SW or pray for heals.

the adds.....well if the dps pull it, they tank it.

the spikes? tell them to move faster =)

gl....that boss is kinda annoying.

Varius
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I have tanked every heroic recently with stats like that and a fresh 80 healer with no wipes (well, except for a disconnect). We blow through them quickly, doing 4-6 per night.

In AN, our hardest time was against the first boss, definitely not the third.

zaster
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
gah I actually meant the third boss on Heroic UP, although I did have some troubles doing AN since it was my first time doing it and I didn't control the adds very well, and the spikes, and the pound...

but we downed him after three wipes, though the belt didn't drop unfortunately.

Darkroman
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Anub'arak is an easy fight. Just move through him when he does pound (as suggested in an above post). To control the adds, my groups just usually assign an AoE dpser (DK, pally, mage, whatever) to protect the healer from the small adds, and have me and 2 other dps take out the ones that come from the ramp. The fight is smooth with that strat. One time we had to have 2 non AoE dpsers protect the healer because their dps was kinda low and the AoE dpser (a ret pally) was with me since his dps was pretty damn good.

On UP... ugh, I hate skadi! Yes he's a real bitch. The main thing you wanna do is when he does whirlwind, taunt him and kite him away from the group. He attacks a random player when he does whirlwind and taunt will get him back on you. If you're a warrior (or if not and you have a warrior in your group), disarm him when he does whirlwind.

On another note, I've been tanking heroics since I turned freshly 80, and I had 21k unbuffed and 536 defense. I did just fine. It's not your fault. Just make sure you know what you're doing :).

PatrikL
07-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Skadi as someone already said is a bad one but once you (and eveyone else) know how Skadi himself is not too bad. The only thing to watch out for really is as also mentioned before his whirlwind. I dont know if I have done it even once with all dps alive afterwards.

The parts leading up to getting him down can be frustrating for a warrior tank I think. Lots of mobs to collect but if you have som good dpsers with you getting everyone is not really needed. Do make sure though that the casters arent harassing your healer and at least try to get all the dps to step out of the fog on the ground. I was there yesterday with a dps who claimed that because their run speed was slowed down they didnt get a chance to step out (how that can be with at least 5 secs warning before it does any damage I do not know).

Another crucial thing when Skadi is finally shot down is to make sure you grab him asap since he can do some nasty damage to any clothies in your group if left unattended.

And to answer your question (which you already answered yourself in the begining) yes of course you are ready to tank heroics, cant very well go back to normal dungeons can you? I started tanking with less of almost every stat and even though I cant say it was a success every time, skill is a lot more important than gear. Its better to gear up while tanking than doing it while dpsing because some dps who doesnt know what they are talking about tells you something like "you need 25k hp to tank hcs".

Things you can do to avoid beeing told you have low hp is for example to enchant your bracers with +40 stam and in general enchant your gear more. Maybe you are waiting for better gear before you spend money on it?

Switchback
07-22-2009, 06:17 AM
I think you are more than geared enough for heroics. I think I was below where you are when I started tanking Naxx. I do have some recomendations though. Replace the meta gem in your helm with the stam/armor one. You can make up for the lost def by enchanting your chest and cloak with def. I would also get rid of the agi chant on your sword in favor of a weapon chain to help your hit rating. Get a belt buckle on your belt and gem it for stam or maybe expertise since your exp is so low. I agree the 40 stam on bracers is the best chant but given you will replace those bracers soon and you need the exp, I would not change it right now.

Kaumu
07-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Stats are more than sufficient for heroics. I went into tanking naxx 10 same day i dinged.

Warriors take a little more practice than other tanks to master AoE tanking. Once you got that side waxed, heroics will be a breeze.

I would go with deep wounds build until you reach Ulduar.

zaster
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I was debating on enchanting the rest of my gear, but I know upgrades aren't too far off so I'm holding back on it to save some money. Replaced the meta gem recently, so I got that sorted.

I'm definitely trying to learn the instances more and getting the AoE tanking thing down, although it doesn't help when a 10man/25man geared Arms warrior decides to bladestorm before I set up initial aggro. :rolleyes: