PDA

View Full Version : Unholy DK tanking/Unholy Blight in 3.2

theremover
07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Hello!
I've been browsing TankSpot off and on for some time.

I have a DK tank. I've been doing the unholy aoe tank for quite awhile. I quit playing for a bit though, and just came back to find the patch notes for 3.2.

"Unholy Blight: This talent has been redesigned. It no longer deals damage to nearby targets. Instead, when you deal damage with Death Coil, the target will take periodic damage for 10 seconds equal to 30% of the damage done by Death Coil. This damage accumulates in the same way as Ignite and Deep Wounds."

At least in my mind, this completely changes everything in terms of my tanking strategy and the value of unholy/aoe tanking.

Quite frankly, it leaves me feeling lost and unsure what to do.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

It was my favorite ability too. :( Sad to see it "go".

Esch
07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
It's meant as both a DPS nerf (aoe dps, as well as the 'fire and forget' aspect) as well as a buff to Unholy's slightly weaker single target threat. It's already been changed to 20% on PTR, last I checked, though I can't recall how the glyph was modified.

Keep in mind that while the AoE damage is zero'ed, the potential dot damage can accumulate rapidly with the talents, glyphs and sigil that buff Deathcoil's damage. Furthermore, the possibly 50/0/21 build utilitizing Sudden Doom with this could be ... interesting, even with the low proc rate.

I've not had time to play with this enough on PTR to decide if the change is worth the AoE tanking threat, but I'ld love to hear feedback about that.

theremover
07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
so perhaps I should just be viewing it as... trading some AOE for more single target threat, if i'm understanding you correctly. (and that it's been reworked to require more proactivity rather than just mashing it and letting it do it's thing)