PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Tank Gear/build questions

BustaTank
07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Greetings.....

I have been on this website for about a month just reading, gathering information and pondering my builds and gear. I have found the site very helpful and I am to the point where my gear is good enough that I would like for someone who understands the game much better than I do to give me some advise on my spec and gear.

I am have tanked several 5 man heroic instances and from time to time have aggro problems usually due to me screwing up and either tab targeting too soon or too late. I am pretty sure that my gear is now good enough for Naxx is that correct?

That being said please take a look and my Tank and feel free to rip me apart I take nothing personal and just really want to be the best tank that I can be.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Bustacranium)

edit--- Last night I forgot to put the Orange expertise gem in my legs and replace the Yellow hit one. I will make that change tonight.

kroxix
07-20-2009, 08:44 AM
From first look, your gear checks out fine. I would say you should continue to run heroics and get a Nax 10 group going, if possible.

In my opinion, putting points into improved disciplines is somewhat pointless if you're not going to use the Shield Wall glyph and/or the Last Stand glyph. A 4 minute shield wall is OKAY, but for the content you are currently running, I don't see a need for points to be placed into this talent. A 4 minute shield wall and a 2 minute last stand make sense, and a 2 minute shield wall and a 2 minute last stand make even more sense. You could probably take those two points and put them into Cruetly - just for the added crit/threat. Later down the road when you start doing content that requires the shortened cooldown times, I'd advise having a 2 minute shield wall and a 2 minute last stand.

As for tanking multiple mobs, I find it a lot easier to mark one target skull, make sure the DPS are focusing that target...while you focus on that target, threat wise, and using your thunder clap/shockwave every time it's off cooldown to gain threat/aggro on the other mobs. By the time skull dies, you should have a nice amount of threat on the other mobs so your DPS can AOE them down without the worry of pulling aggro (warlocks using SoC can sometimes pull). This, of course, only works if you're running a group that will listen/follow directions.

BustaTank
07-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the advise. I have been getting better at my mob management but last night had a dumb death knight using death grip. It took me a couple of pulls to figure out what was going on because I thought I had pretty good threat going on the other mobs.

Form my reading of these forums it sounds like 26 expertise is a must. I hate to loose one of my +24 stamina gems but it does not look like I have a choice because I am only at 25.

Would you recommend any different enchants on my equipment? or do you think that I should change some of my glyphs? I was thinking of doing +10 to stats on the chest which would mean that I have to add +defense to my shield and loose the stamina unless you can think of some other way for me to keep my D at or above the 540 cap.

Squirrelnut
07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Looks pretty good in general though I do have a few suggestions:

- Change your meta to the 32stam/2% armor one
- If you have any issues with the 540 def minimum I could switch your shield enchant to defense instead of stam until you get more raid gear
- Laventhor's trinket is meh at best, go for Essence of Gossamer from H AN
- Replace your neck with the emblem one off the vendor
- If at all possible replace your blue ring with something like Signet of the Impregnable Fortress with Valor emblems or if you don't have access to those yet Signet of the Accord off the AH
- Fix your glyphs, sunder is garbage since we use devastate anyway. For pre-ulduar I would go with Blocking, Revenge & Devastate or Heroic Strike. Replace the 'battle' minor glyph with 'charge'.
- Pre-Ulduar consider switching to the old 15/5/51 spec with the two points from imp disciplines over to cruelty. As krox mentioned you don't need those unless you are also glyphing for shieldwall/last stand.

Other then that you should be good to go, just make sure you have your rotation priorities in order: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/41426-ideal-warrior-single-target-threat-rotation.html

BustaTank
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Thank you so much for the advise. This is exactly want I am looking for so I can make the best changes to my gear possible.

I will change the meta and switch shield wall for cruelty I will also mess with my gliphs. I will need to mess around with enchants to make up for the loss in D but that should not be a problem. I have been running H AN because I am trying to get the Ancient Aligned Girdle off the last boss The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=37241). I did not even know that trinket dropped off the first boss so it is just another reason to keep going.

I have enough heroism to get the neck piece not enough valor for the ring and actually purchased the neck piece and then returned within the 2 hour time limit because I was thinking that I should save up and get to 60 so I can get the gloves and then get the two piece set bonus (gloves & chest = shield slam damage + 10%). Do you think that I should go for the neck piece again? Currently I believe I am around 50.

Squirrelnut
07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Personally I would use your Valor emblems to get Signet of the Impregnable Fortress - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40718) and your Heroism emblems to get Chained Military Gorget - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40679)

Set pieces are nice but they come at a high emblem cost and those pieces readily drop from bosses in Nax. If you don't foresee yourself getting into any groups in Nax for a while then it is really a personal preference whether to save emblems for gloves.

BustaTank
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks again for the input I made most of the changes you suggested and it seem to be helping. I have just been too lazy to run tot he warrior trainer and change my talents and take the points out of shield wall but I will do that shortly. I am also hesitant to remove the glyph of cleave because for the time being I think that it is helping me to keep threat on multiple targets.

I do have another question though. That ring made a tremendous impact in my expertise and now I am sitting at 29 should I re-gem some of my items that are currently holding a (+8exp. +8 hit) gem and replace them with straight Hit gems or should I continue to build up my expertise. My hit is currently at 153.

Again I appreciate you taking to time to answer my questions

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&cn=Bustacranium&gn=Foederati)

Squirrelnut
07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
You seem fine other then just needing upgrades as you raid. You can't really min-max until you get more gear so I wouldn't worry about it since you are well below the expertise hard cap of 57 and below the hit cap of 263.

Your glyphs are fine for Pre-Ulduar but with that setup there is no reason to not take the 2 points out of Imp Disciplines and put them into Cruelty for added crit chance.

BustaTank
07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Tanked 10 man Naxx run last night and did pretty good and was told that I am pretty easy to heal. Got several upgrades but they were for my Fury spec :p.

Thanks again for all the input.