PDA

View Full Version : Switching to tank, could use advice

Thoras
07-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Hiya. :)

Short story, more or less all our well geared tanks are on a break, busy at work or simply vanished. We're a guild currently raiding 10 man stuff (Naxx on farm, busy in Ulduar) and since my tanking gear is quite decent, I'll probably be tanking more in the near future.

This (http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/145266) is my current tank gear and spec. Numbers selfbuffed (HoW) are 31.6k health, over 25% dodge, over 17% parry, 548 def and around 24-25k armor I believe. (not sure about the armor, checked the rest ingame last night)

One thing I have to do is farm AN HC for the trinket + belt. I could replace the two 27 def gems (and I should actually add a third JC only gem), but should I get lucky in AN I would probably replace the lvl 70 trinket with it, leaving me with 539 def.

I could really use some advice about talents, gear, gems, enchants etc, and a pointer to what I could tank and should avoid tanking for now.

Silveronfire
07-20-2009, 05:30 AM
since your armory is now showing your DK in dps gear, its hard to say. I personally find that the defense jewler's gems are a waste....not advocating stam "stacking" but 41 stamx3=win!

and again since your armory is not up, cant be sure....do you have the JC trinket(s) the monarch crab is great <g>

happy tanking, gl in ulduar

Thoras
07-20-2009, 05:42 AM
since your armory is now showing your DK in dps gear, its hard to say.
It's why I included a link to a profile site in my original post. ;)

80 Human Death Knight (http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/145266)

themaliguy
07-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Silveronfire is right the crab is great! And if u can link the link to armory its great! And if your new in tanking begin with farming hcs and look on the tanking movies here on TankSpot and you ill be fine.

themaliguy
07-20-2009, 05:49 AM
U need a back with def on mate and def capp ench to. I say the back u buy from 25 emblem of valor and ench 16 def on it. And u for sure need a other meta on your head. There u go and gl with the coming raiding :)

keeprock
07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Unlike Silverfire, I do advocate Stam stacking. I'd replace all gems you don't need to get to 540 defense, with stamina. Another trinket you could use in the interim is Ruby Hare, which is also a cheap one from jewelcrafting, stacked with stamina. Or Valor Medal of the First War for 40 emblems of heroism. Chained Military Gorget is another very good emblems piece for 25 heroism since your wearing a blue neck.

I also notice your going blood spec. If you are new to tanking, I'm sure you'd appreciate the new-tank-friendly Frost spec more. Especially with it's slightly easier AoE to control trash a little better. It also provides more mitigation until you get more practiced with using your cooldowns. You certainly don't need to switch specs but if your starting out in the tanking department you might find it easier. Practice will also go a long way to being good in either spec.

I think with those few tweaks you'll be fine for anything your guild is currently doing. I'm wearing about the same and we do 6 bosses in Ulduar without any tanking issues.

Thoras
07-21-2009, 04:00 AM
idn't have much time last night to sort anything due to the last bits of Naxx, dailies and a server reboot. Looted T7 legs though, so will be sorting that tonight.

About the emblems cloak and neck, they're definately on my list. Point is I spent my emblems of valor last week on the boots and ring, so I only have two left. It's gonna take a while to get more of them in Ulduar10. Ran out of emblems of heroism a long time ago (didn't do much heroics, and we were running 25 man raids till last week), but I have 21 left so should get the necklace soon.

Gonna take a look tonight at gemming stamina, and how much avoidance I would lose. Don't think it's that bad, so might go for it.

About blood vs frost. I'm not entirely new to tanking. Had a holy pala as main in TBC with a good tank kit which I used on occasion, and a tank druid as alt on which I tanked. Also tanked as frost on my DK before. The missing tanks include all our warriors so we usually have a paladin as offtank, meaning AoE tanking isn't much of an issue.

Gonna do some math tonight. :)