PDA

View Full Version : Hello, non-tank question, profession-based

EvilOromis
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
So I don't know many of you here yet, right now I play a Blood Elf Warlock on a PVE server. I have a low level (Blood Elf) Paladin tank at the moment that I'm slowly building up, and a low level (Human) Warrior off tank that I only play with my gf during the few times a week, so I'll probably have questions about those in the future.

I know this is mainly a tank site, so I don't expect tons of opinions here, but I was hoping some of you might play some ranged dps alterantive's. Also, I've watched several of your videos (thanks a lot, they are very well done, Cider's explanations are really useful) and notice they always say it's not just for tanking, so I was hoping I'd still be welcome here. I wasn't really sure which forum to post this in, so if a moderator wants to move it, no problem. I also don't really like how people act on the official WoW forums, and I guess I'm just hoping people here are more competent and mature.

My question is profession based and it's for my main (warlock) character. Currently I am a Tailor (446)/Enchanter (381). I've got plenty of money on me, but I'm saving up for the 16k gold mount. I would like to get rid of one of these professions for Jewelcrafting (for the +32sp * 3). Right now I'm leaning heavily towards getting rid of Enchanting and keeping Tailoring. My reasons are:
1. I have a high level enchanter that is on frequently in my guild who I can ask to enchant stuff if I get her the mats, I also have three people in my guild that are working on it.
2. This might just be because I'm low level in Enchanting, but Tailoring has gotten me so much more gold on tips (bags/spellthread) and I've just learned the recipe for glacial bags, which for my small guild probably makes me the top tailor in it.
3. The profession-only enchant you can give yourself through tailoring (+250 sp that proc's every other time I press a button) seems to be more useful than +19sp * 2 to my rings (even though I'm only high enough for +12 at the moment).

Now, everyone I've asked so far has told me to go with Enchanting / Jewelcrafting and get rid of Tailoring. Unless someone says something that makes a lot of sense, what I intend to do is get an epic pve ring (one of the ones I use is PVP, just better than the PVE one I had), get the enchant for +19sp and put it on my PVE and PVP rings, then drop enchanting and pay for jewelcrafting.

Other than the +19 sp I can eventually get to my rings, is there anyone who can tell me why enchanting would be better than either tailoring or jewelcrafting? I'm curious why the best warlock I know on my server would go with enchanting over tailoring, I guess.

Thanks for anyone who shares their opinions and I look forward to meeting some new people. :)

keeprock
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
The official WoW forums are just like Trade chat! A lot of noise and not much content. :)

As far as profession bonuses are concerned, they've all been balanced so that no profession really provides anything better than another. I've read another post showing how they all balance out in the end.

So if there is no mathematical benefit to taking enchanting over jewelcrafting in the end, why would people recommend enchanting? I personally use enchanting/jewelcrafting. One reason people might be recommending that combo is because it's a gold making machine. You can prospect ore then create low priced jewelry like the sun rock ring; disenchant that into mats; sell the mats or make the mats into enchants and then sell them for 200%-800% the price of the stuff you bought to make them. Or farm the ore yourself and only have to buy a few extra eternal earths to go into mass production. This is probably the most popular use of the enchanting/jewelcrafting combo.

EvilOromis
07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
lol definitely agree with the first paragraph.

I don't know if all professions balance each other to be honest, when all you're looking for is what you can do to yourself. For example the jewelcrafting advantage you get from +96 spell power (32 * 3) I think will increase my dps more than +19 spell power. I'd love to read the post that shows how they're all equal if you remember where you saw it.

Never thought of your money making idea, does seem good, and I do appreciate the explanation of why you'd go with it, but I feel I can make money at the AH easily enough. Also, eternal earths you can get pretty easily (same with eternal fire) at the Sons of Hodir area. :)

I should have included this in my last post, but another reason why I prefer tailoring over enchanting though is that it annoys me when people expect me to disenchant stuff at the end of a heroic for them without any tip. Even if I give up enchanting, I hope one day Enchanters will refuse to do this for PuG's... I don't recall any other profession having to give up their mats freely. :p

Destruyen
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
what I intend to do is get an epic pve ring (one of the ones I use is PVP, just better than the PVE one I had), get the enchant for +19sp and put it on my PVE and PVP rings, then drop enchanting and pay for jewelcrafting.

the ring enchants require enchanting to get the benefit of them, which means if you enchant your rings, then drop chanting, you don't get that bonus.

unless you are in a guild that is raiding content which requires absolute min/maxing, just go with whatever 2 professions you want to be. in 3.2, jewelcrafting wont be that attractive since they are going away from the dragon's eyes counting as prismatic. so really all the profession bonuses will be balanced.

keeprock
07-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I guess I was thinking of this analysis:

BS=2 extra slots that can be itemized with blue gems=32 itemization (16 strx2=32 itemization points)
JC=3 slots that can be itemized with 11 itemization more than blue gems=33 extra itemization
Enchanting=2 ring enchants for 32 extra ap each=32 itemization (AP costs 1/2 itemization point per)
Inscription=superior shoulder enchant by 64 AP=32 itemization
Alchemy=mixology bonus=64 extra ap on the ap flask=32 itemization
Lw=64 more ap on the wrist enchant=32 itemization

So essentially they are exactly balanced.

This example is specific to ap gems but it applies to spellpower, etc as well I'm sure.

EvilOromis
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
the ring enchants require enchanting to get the benefit of them, which means if you enchant your rings, then drop chanting, you don't get that bonus.

unless you are in a guild that is raiding content which requires absolute min/maxing, just go with whatever 2 professions you want to be. in 3.2, jewelcrafting wont be that attractive since they are going away from the dragon's eyes counting as prismatic. so really all the profession bonuses will be balanced.

I don't really mind so much whether it counts as prismatic or blue or red or yellow, for me it's really just the +32 sp that I find attractive. I don't mind if I lose out on a socket bonus from it.

BS=2 extra slots that can be itemized with blue gems=32 itemization (16 strx2=32 itemization points)
JC=3 slots that can be itemized with 11 itemization more than blue gems=33 extra itemization
Enchanting=2 ring enchants for 32 extra ap each=32 itemization (AP costs 1/2 itemization point per)
Inscription=superior shoulder enchant by 64 AP=32 itemization
Alchemy=mixology bonus=64 extra ap on the ap flask=32 itemization
Lw=64 more ap on the wrist enchant=32 itemization

So essentially they are exactly balanced.

This example is specific to ap gems but it applies to spellpower, etc as well I'm sure.

I really don't believe it applies to spell power equally.
I can't really say I know anything about Inscription, Leather Working, or Alchemy yet, but for us it's enchanting (+19sp per ring), tailoring (+250sp frequent proc), jewelcrafting (+32sp * 3 sockets), though I don't know the changes to those that are coming next patch and if that would make it seem worthwhile to still switch it.

Insahnity
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Agreed, all professions are roughly balanced. I myself have every profession, all nearly at 450 (Inscriptions has elided me, only 430 or so), with many duplicates also at 450.

Don't get too attached with JC, the extra SP on gems is getting a nerf in that gems are no longer going to be prismatic. What you gain in SP you lose in socket bonuses.

JC is insanely material hungry. Either take up mining on this toon or an alt, or be VERY successful at making gold and/or working the AH. Since you don't have any high level alts, mining on an alt is not an option yet. For myself, my Smithing is done and now is limited to belt buckles, sockets for gloves/bracers and occasional requests. My Engineer is also at 450, and I stockpiled enough potion injector kits, toolboxes and repair bots for the foreseeable future. This leaves all the ore I get to go for JC, and its a constant drain as I prospect ore to get gems which are used to dailies to get more patterns...

I too am an enchanter/tailor, and have no plans to change. Tailors need insane amounts of dust to power tailoring, and crafted items can be DEed. Sure you can ask a guildie to DE, but it gets annoying after a while. I personally fed my enchanter with goods from all my crafters (smithing, LWing, Tailoring, Egnineering AND JC), which is why I got to enchanting 450 in good order, while keeping all my toons enchanted relatively free of charge (Thank god for armor velums).

I have only one toon that has a dual crafting role, a hunter who enchants/engineers, and her skills are stagnant because transferring materials gets really irritating. All my other toons are one part gathere and one part crafter, with one dual gatherer. And so far, aside from the dual crafter, they all progress nicely.

Destruyen
07-17-2009, 05:26 PM
you arent really getting 32 sp per gem, you are really only getting 13sp extra, meaning 13*3= 39 sp from jc over using regular 19sp gems. enchanting is 19 sp per ring 19*2= 38 sp total. why would you drop a profession for a 1 sp difference in bonuses?

EvilOromis
07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
you arent really getting 32 sp per gem, you are really only getting 13sp extra, meaning 13*3= 39 sp from jc over using regular 19sp gems. enchanting is 19 sp per ring 19*2= 38 sp total. why would you drop a profession for a 1 sp difference in bonuses?

I don't understand why I am only getting 13 sp per gem and not 32 sp?
If you could explain this to me so I understand, I am definitely keeping enchanting.

Tailors need insane amounts of dust to power tailoring, and crafted items can be DEed

I've leveled Tailoring from 1-446 and I managed to avoid depending on dust until I needed Imbued Frostweave Also, the Paladin tank I'm making is going to be Mining/Blacksmithing. :)

Thanks a lot for all the responses so far. :)