PDA

View Full Version : Avoidance vs Stamina (geming)

Chamenas
07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
If you were to look at my current armory, you would see that most of my gems are stam gems, ignoring socket bonuses for the most part. However, I'm wondering if it would be more effective to go for the socket bonuses and put in avoidance gems with +12 stam on them. Many of the socket bonuses are stamina anyways, it just never calculated out to beat the +24 stamina from the blue gem.

However, recent discussion in another section of the forums talked about the balance of avoidance and effective health. With that in mind, the best place to strike that balance seems to be gemming.

The question is: Is it worth it to go for the balance and the socket bonuses? Or should I stick with the effective health?

Oberst
07-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Personally I usually gem on a gear by gear basis. If the socket bonus is Stam or avoidance I will usually do some math and see exactly what the stam/avoidance loss is by using hybrid gems, not pure gems.

If I'm using the phrase correctly, I believe this kind of gemming is the tip of the iceberg of min-maxing.

Ghreystar
07-16-2009, 07:02 PM
i have personally found that by using chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner (http://chardev.org/) you can make sure to have enough hit and expertise before you start stacking stam, or gemming for avoidance. its a very effective way to make the best choices for gemming and enchants.

keeprock
07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
After reading much of the theory for death knight tanking and seeing the stats on most tank gear I get, I've settled on gemming straight stamina. I feel, if I need to move stats around anywhere it will be on the built in stats on the gear I have access to. Such as, searching for a high expertise piece(s) of tank gear if I want to become soft capped for expertise. Or trading out a high defense piece for something with mid range defense and more dodge to boost my avoidance, if I will still be uncrittable. That sort of thing.

From my understanding the difference you could make with gems to avoidance is extremely minimal. And even if you did gem perfectly and it was an effective upgrade (ie: was in the 2:1 or 3:2 ratio of defense vs dodge), the random number generator can still throw it out the window anytime it likes. Effective health aka stamina gems definitely look like a guaranteed safe return on money invested in a random market.