PDA

View Full Version : How's my gear and stats?

ghengas
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm a casual player and am not in a big guild. Mostly I run some PUG groups and have started heroics. I'm wanting to get into some raids and want to know if my gear and spec is Ok and what changes I should make.

Tanks please take a look and give me some input as far as enchants, gear, gems go.

Thanks,

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Grizzly+Hills&n=Ghengas)

Doormat
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Your spec is the cookie cutter DW spec. It's fine.

Gear-wise you should be fine but I would look to run H AN a bunch for the stam trinket to replace lavanthor (block really isnt all that useful) and the belt off the final boss to replace your pvp belt. An alternative to the stam trinket is grabbing the defense trinket from reg HoL. That should give you a bunch more freedom to gem while staying uncrittable.

Besides that look to save up cash to enchant some of your gear a bit better (bracers could use 40 stam).

Work on rep with argent crusade and sons of hodir for head and shoulders enchants respectively.

Switchback
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Spec looks like the typical DW spec that should be fine until you get geared enough to be tanking in Ulduar. You should be fine to start heroics as well. I personally would go with the Def chant to your chest instead of Health right now. I also don't like gemming for avoidance. I'd dump that dodge gem in your neck for expertise or expertise and stam. Any red socket you get I'd put the exp/stam gem in it. I'd also put def on your cloak and would go with a weapon chain on your sword instead of agi. If you don't have it already, work on your Hodir rep for the shoulder chant and I think there is another nice one for helm but can't remember what rep that is from.

ghengas
07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Insahnity
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
The biggest problem I see is that you are not def capped (535 defense skill for heroics, 540 Defense for raids). Jumping ahead here, as you get more gear upgrades, you will lose more, as you will end up trading high defense blues with better quality epics with lower defense. To head that off, start keeping in mind that you MUST stay defense capped at all times (period!), and enchant new items with defense (namely, cloak, chest, shield, and if you are desperate, bracers with old TBC enchant). As a JC you can also gem your defense in as well. Get to 540 before trying to raid Nax 10, and you are not ready for nax25 so don't volunteer for that yet.

For gemming, your gems should be stamina for blue, defense for yellow (which you seem to be on the right track) and expertise for red. You are a tank after my own heart that craves dodge over all else, but you aren't there yet. Warriors get the best benefit from dodge gems over other tanks, but you are way under expertise cap, and that will cripple you. Once you are over expertise (red) and hit cap (yellow), with caps being 27 expertise and 263 hit rating, if memory serves me, then you can play with dodge.

For your weapon, go with titanium weapon chain for now, and once you get Red Sword of Courage from H UP or Slayer of the Lifeless from nax10, slap an accuracy (hit/crit rating) on it, or if you insist on avoidance go with mongoose instead of 26 agi.

Keep plugging away at Argent Crusade Rep until revered, so you can use the head enchant (37 stam, 20 def), and start your Sons of Hodir so you have access to shoulder enchants.

I could keep going but your gear will undergo so many changes that it will be difficult to keep up. I would suggest that create a list of upgrades to chase after, H UP first for the sword and H AN for the stam trinket but there are others there (pants in H UK, ring in H DTK, and so on). Also, as you run heroics or nax 10, you should acquire badges good for some gear (dodge trinket, necklace, and so on).

Smitty
07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Yea I agree with Insanity, it is critically important that you get over 540 Defense rating, otherwise eventually your just going to explode randomly throughout bossfights.

Toblerone
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Costs 10k Honor for the 30 stam, 15 resil shoulder enchant, which will put you at the crit immune cap for heroics at least. Might be worth grinding a few BGs for. You can buy it at the PvP vendors in Stormwind.

Switchback
07-17-2009, 05:47 AM
In my original reply I forgot to point out the "defense minimums" (I don't like the word cap). With your current 533 def and 50 resilience, that should still put you over the minimum for heroics. Maybe somebody else who is more of number cruncher can confirm. If you don't have any resillience, you would normally need at least 535 def for heroics and 540 for any raids as Insahnity pointed out. That is also why I mentioned swapping to def chants on things like chest and cloak as you will lose alot on gear as you get some of the higher lvl stuff. I dont think anybody commented on your glyphs either. I personally like your choices. I'm a proponent of Cleave glyph for AoE tanking. I actually will spam cleave in high rage situations in place of HS if there are multiple mobs.

ghengas
07-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Regarding DEF. I use the elixir of mighty defense that puts me at 542 whenever I tank so I do try to stay above the DEF cap at all times.

Thanks for all the tips. I have the def trinket from regular HOL and I'll swap it back out instead of the SB one and regem for expertise instead of dodge.