PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior needs armory rating and glyph advice

Darkroman
07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anvilmar&n=Darkromana)

Hey guys, just wanna get some gear advice. I'm already defense capped and hit capped. I think my gear is good enough to main tank Naxxramas 10-man. I'd just like to know if I'm geared enough to do any other raids right now. I know the one thing I need to work on is expertise though. I tried balance it out as best as I could.

Also on glyphs, what other ones should I include in my tanking arsenal? I was thinking bloodrage, heroic strike (or sunder armor), and.. don't know what else.

As far as my skills go, my threat generation is fine. I'm a fast target switcher (so my multi-tanking is actually pretty good for a prot warrior). I know the rotations (shield block, shield slam, revenge, keep on CDs, devastate to 5 sunders, concussion blow, and heroic strike while shield slam and revenge are on CDs and I'm above 50 rage.. thunderclap, align mobs for shockwave, cleave for multi-tanking, etc etc).

Archylus
07-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Mmmm change the nexus trinket for the heroic emblems one or go to HoL and get seal of phanteon.
Fix your talents maybe is me but I see that you havent complete the deep wound build.
Get Armor Plated Combat Shotgun - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41168) if you have money :P
maybe run UP to get Red Sword of Courage - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37401)

about Glyph... minor bloodrage and thunderclap.
Major depends of your build.

duniank
07-16-2009, 10:57 AM
lose some of that hit rating. im doing 25 uldaur and waaay under hit cap. you dont really need it as a warrior tank

Darkroman
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I already have the seal of the pantheon for avoidance reasons. So you guys are saying I should focus more on avoidance?

Garshek
07-16-2009, 02:56 PM
For Spec...

I'd drop Cruelty and pick up Imp TC and finish filling out Deep Wounds/Impale. I know you said threat was fine, but wait till overgeared DPS jump the gun on a fight...

What about getting Glyph of Shockwave? I like it for the stun ability.

I do agree with the pervious poster about holy hit batman!

Darkroman
07-17-2009, 03:20 AM
OK, cool. Well, I just did a full DW 15/5/51 build. So should I not actively gem for hit rating? What about expertise? I thought hit rating and expertise were the main helpers in threat generation, not talent build. This is what I've read on here so far about that. Expertise gives more bang for its buck, yet the hit cap gives more dps, compared to expertise cap. Enlighten me, I don't know if that meant the expertise soft cap or hard cap. Maybe you guys just meant for DPS roles in raids? Of course hit rating will help more for DPS in raids because DPS doesn't have to worry about parry 98.5% of the time. Expertise is more useful for a tank for threat I guess? The hit cap is good for not having a failed taunt.

So should I just not gem or enchant for hit rating then? What about expertise? If that's the case then I'll glady get the valor medal of the first war. More avoidance is always good.

Fallie
07-18-2009, 03:27 AM
Expertise rating and Hit rating both help you land more blows. Expertise however gives twice the 'bang for the buck' before you hit the soft-cap.

32.79 expertise rating gives you 1% less dodge *and* parries.
32.79 hit rating just gives you a 1% less chance to miss.

You should never gem for hit in favor of expertise unless your gear is vastly unbalanced towards expertise.

Thaak
07-18-2009, 03:48 AM
lose some of that hit rating. im doing 25 uldaur and waaay under hit cap. you dont really need it as a warrior tank

Agreed. Only time I can think of when you really NEED to be hit capped is on the Cat Lady(25man). MTing her as a prot warrior, and being the ONLY warrior in the raid, it gets a bit awkward if you miss a Sentinel Blast interrupt.<cough>

There may be others, but i've been up all night and thats the only one that comes to mind.

Enlighten me, I don't know if that meant the expertise soft cap or hard cap.
They are referring to the soft cap of 26 expertise. That gives you 6.5% reduction on both dodge and parry. Bosses have 6.5% chance to dodge, so above 26 expertise, you are only removing parry.

The hit cap is good for not having a failed taunt.To the best of my knowledge taunt falls under spell hit, therefor is not capped when you reach the melee one hand cap.

Darkroman
07-18-2009, 02:39 PM
OK, well I followed your guys advice. I replaced my pure expertise gems to the 8+ exp 12+ stam, I also got the valor medal, and I replaced my hit rating stuff.

Mofotrey
07-18-2009, 03:46 PM
To the best of my knowledge taunt falls under spell hit, therefor is not capped when you reach the melee one hand cap.

This is definitely true... I had a taunt miss on the first miniboss in the Freya room during fists of stone last week and it wasn't fun for the other tank.

Darkroman
07-19-2009, 01:54 AM
First time running Heroic UP and I got the Red Sword of Courage :D. As soon as I got that, I figured I had enough defense rating room to switch out my Sabatons of Draconic Vigor for the Terrace Defence Boots (from H DTK) for more strength, and block rating. I lost some hit rating though, not much though. I have hit rating food to make up for it.