PDA

View Full Version : Tanking in Ulduar - Felt Squishy

Naros
07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I had the opportunity to tank Ulduar this past weekend on my warrior and I have to say that I didn't leave with the comfy feeling that I do my best. I felt very squishy to put it nicely.

I honestly felt like when a boss hit me, I lost a significant chunk of health. I eventually got to a point where I had to constantly cycle cooldowns like Shield Block, Shield Wall, Last Stand, Enraged Regen, Potion/Stone, etc in order to sustain life in many fights like XT and Kologarn.

I am not aware honestly if there are things in my spec which require tweaking but there could be. I realize I still have a few blues in my gear set for most bosses and that could be contributing to my squishy factor. But I have read that shield tanks are behind the par when it comes to tanking comparatively to DKs and Druids and so that could be simply what I am seeing, idk.

I'd like to think that's not necessarily true and it has to do more with my spec, gear choices, and rotations - but I am really at a loss.

Any suggestions gang?
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Earthen+Ring&n=Zenkou)

Thanks!
Naros/Zenkou

joker616
07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
i would run more naxx25 if i were you and get better gear and see if u feel squishy then

edit: this site has helped me very much Be Imba! - the online Character Auditor for World of Warcraft (http://be.imba.hu/?zone=US&realm=Earthen+Ring&character=Zenkou)

Emi
07-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Indeed, your gear could really use a lot of upgrades. Compliments to your guilds healers as they sure deserve it!

geros
07-15-2009, 06:58 AM
I'd suggest something like this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItrx0didIzsGo:rTZmM). One of the key parts is glyphing for SW/LS cooldown reduction in addition to Disciplines. This allows you to use a cooldown on each tantrum for XT and helps a bit on Kologarn.

Ulduar bosses hit effing hard. Kologarn, Vazex, Steelbreaker hardest of all. It's going to be more of a challenge to keep a Naxx10/heroic geared tank up on some of those fights.

Satorri
07-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Well, your Warrior is maybe a little lightly geared for Ulduar, 25-man at least.

Really, I think it's just a matter of saying, "welcome to Ulduar." Even in good gear many things are going to sit on you, it's where tanking gets fun (and/or stressful if you've been used to liking cake runs in Naxx). Warriors also suffer from having more work to do to get big health totals (see: slightly light gear) that can make the hits feel really big.

For your spec, there arethreat elements *I* would change but there is only one real defensive item I'd look into. I'm a big fan of glyphing Shield Wall. I enjoy having it more frequently available, even if it is for a slightly smaller value. Several of the boss have hard-hitting mini-phases where it's nice to be able to mix in Shield Wall more than once.

Generally, I don't think there's any reason to think you're doing something wrong.

Naros
07-15-2009, 07:09 AM
@Joker/Emi

Yep my gear needs work, that's certain. But unfortunately Naxx25 isn't a viable option for me currently and I will most likely have to live with Naxx10 drops or heroic drops for gearing until I can gear up from Ulduar10. Once 3.2 hits and Conquest badges drop in heroics, I suspect this will also help in the gear department as that is going to help everyone get on the same page in preparation for Ice Crown. But that is still several weeks out.

The two healers that kept me alive this past weekend all the way through to Hodir are the two healers that heal my druid in my main Ulduar raid. They're great at what they do - no doubt there. I just always seek ways to make their lives easier :E.

@Satorri/Geros

Excellent points. Things are not AoE'ed in Ulduar as much as they used to be in Naxxramas so probably a glyph or two that I have can be adjusted to compensate for the glyphs that you recommend instead. I will look into that as well and make necessary adjustments accordingly.

But trust me Satorri, I am not even attempting Ulduar-25. I had reservations about tanking Ulduar-10 which is what I am doing currently. It's fun to see that there is a fair amount more work on the warrior than my druid to sustain main tanking - I like challenges. It forces me to do things like this and research what I can do to be better for the betterment of the raid as a whole :).

As for threat elements, what would you change? I noticed I didn't have much of a threat curve issue with anyone in the raid. We had one Naxx-25 fully geared Rogue that kept using his threat transfer tactics on me plus I kept Vigilence on him the entire time, so that helped keep a considerable lead. We did have one hunter in the run that helped with misdirect and used Feign Death when available to help with threat curves but that was it. I'd be open to your suggestions.

Satorri
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
A very healthy attitude that could use a more common appearance from the tanking community at large. (TS goers are fairly often the same, part of why I like it here)

geros
07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
he was probably thinking about Deep Wounds. The 2 points in imp Shield Block and the 3 points in Sunder are probably better placed elsewhere. 2% block isn't going to provide a ton of mitigation overall. Being a MT in Ulduar means you are likely sitting on a full rage bar. Chopping 3 rage off of devastate isn't a great use of 3 talent points in that case.

Naros
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Lets take the items themselves out of the picture. I'd like to focus more on the raw stats the gear items bring to the table like dodge, block, expertise, armor, etc. Is there any particular weight I should put on any particular stat moreso than others?

The only tank I have been able to somewhat watch on my server that is actually "tanking" as a warrior does 25-man content only and it's a bit discouraging to look at his stats and try to do any level of comparison. Tanks that do 25-man content are going to varying considerably to those that do 10-man content just because the itemization and stat differences vary considerably.

Based on what Zenkou has in his profile today, are there any stats I should focus on more than others? Raid buffed with CS up I stand at about ~34-35k. I think things like my avoidance with dodge/block are areas I need to work on too, but I could be mistaken.

duniank
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
yeah your kinda undergeard for uldaur. i aim to be around 30k HP for the uldaur fights up to and including aurya and 31k for hodir-yogg and put extra HP into avoidance. your dodge isnt badand youl gain more with gear. a few naxx 25's and youl definatly be ready.

Chasey
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I was gonna jump in and say, welcome to Ulduar, we all have our squishy moments in there.
I checked out your armory and I gotta say, you aren't geared for it. Not to be mean, but the healers did a great job keeping you up, and your skill must be pretty good to pop the CD's and keep yourself alive. I'd hit a few more Naxx's and see if you can grab a pug 25 man OS or VoA. They won't take long and at the very least you could grab a badge upgrade or 2.
Best of luck and BELIEVE me, we all have our, WTF moments when we get hit in Ulduar.

uglybbtoo
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
LOL as others have said your healers did very well :-)

Try this
80 Night Elf Warrior (http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/145069)

Traded your excess def down for 2K extra HP. Avoidance remains almost same.

You lost your trinket but 3K armour for a few secs isnt going to save you in that gear 2K HP will make healers job easier.

Hope for some gear drops :-)

You really need to start sons of hodir rep for your shoulder chants but you knew that didnt you