PDA

View Full Version : So I've tried this Deathknight thingie... Halp?

Aethelas
07-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Allrighties… I've been playing my deathknight a little now the summer period is coming down and most of the raids are cancelled. I got into a couple of naxx runs and did some hero's - nothing fancy. For now I've specced him frost because it seemed the best way to have an all round useful specc for hero's and most raids.
However:

I found I'm severely lacking in the threat department (yes I'd love some more expertise)… I found myself lacking runic power up to the point where it feels like rage starvation. I've tried macroing rune strike to most of my abilties and it sort of worked. But I can't fill the gaps in my rotation up with frost strike as I would want to…

So I was thinking - Do I need to specc into Chill of the grave or something?

I've tried the following rotations:
Icy Touch - Blood strike x 2 - Plague strike - Obliterate - Frost strike(s) to fill the gap

Icy Touch - Blood strike -- pray for a deathrune -- Obliterate - Obliterate - Frost strike(s) to fill the gap

Here's a link my Deathknight's armory:
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Argent+Dawn&n=Gawayne (http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Argent+Dawn&n=Gawayne)

Advice and/or critque is very welcome! Even if that means that you'll point me to the exact spot where I'll need to read a bazillion pages...

keeprock
07-13-2009, 08:03 AM
I definitely think Chill of the Grave is your problem. I use it and scent of blood and I can not burn RP fast enough. This might also be related to your threat issue. If there is no RP for Rune Strike and Frost Strike you will have threat issues.

The other thing about threat that might be related is the dps your bringing. Are you running with 4k dps since there's a lot of geared dps? If so, then threat will probably be an issue for a little while until your gear gets closer to theirs.

Emi
07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
You're missing out on some very important TPS talent choices such as Bladed Armor and 2H Weapon Spec. I'd also recommend you swap UA with the RS Glyph and that you dont use the Imp Icy Talons build.

I'd suggest something like this : Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EGZhxx0AbI0s0iost0x:kad0Mm)

Some quick gear observations :
Your expertise is extremely low, have at least dodge capped @ 26.
Shoulders - Grind rep with SoH for the tank enchant.
Cloak, Chest - No enchant ? :confused:
Gloves - A 20hit enchant will make you not miss anymore ;)

Try to get Sigil of Awareness as well.

Moridin Of Galakrond
07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
First off, you do need alot more expertise. You can try eating expertise food to help out with that.

Your rotations seem a bit odd to me.

The rotation I use as frost on a single target is IT - BS - BS - OB - OB and dump with FS to keep my RP down. I don't even worry about PS, since it doesn't seem to change my threat/damage significanlty and makes the rotation a bit cleaner. Also, make sure you are using rune tap when available to free up rune.

For AOE I use HB to apply frost fever and don't bother with IT. I use HB whenever it is off CD and OB when HB is on CD. BB consumes my blood runes. I use the Glyph Of Howling Blast for the frost fever application.

Also, if you don't have /cast !Rune Strike macro into all your abilities. Do so, it makes sure you use RS whenever available, which will a majority of your threat. The ! is to make sure you don't toggle it on/off constantly. The macro's of your ablitilies will look like:
#showtooltip
/cast Obliterate
/cast !Rune Strike.

There are many many posts by Satorri on tanking builds and they are very well composed. I'd look at his, they are very informative and well organized.

Aethelas
07-14-2009, 01:39 AM
I'll look into respeccing when I'll log my DK. The haste buff was more of a 'let's be nice to my puggy group members thing' in the first place. And about lacking expertise... Yeah. I'd really like some more tank things to drop, sadly most of those would come from heroic Naxxramas/Malygos and such and well those places are hell to pug these days. Of course eventually though!

About the lack of enchants - this is an alt I use to pug whenever my warrior is parked. Some stuff I got to recently and such, other stuff barely warrants an enchant in the first place...

I experimented by taking rune strike out of my abilities and the net result was always having enough runic power to use frost strike. Netto result was a threat loss though... If you guys agree I'm sure that a little respecc with me picking up 'Chill of the grave' should make a world of difference.

Thanks for the input

Silveronfire
07-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I've taken to dropping scent of blood, found i rarely need the extra RP, even with FS macroed in.

I tried to spec for the haste buff, and found that it increased my personal TPS a little. I *think* the reason is that it allows for more frequent rune strikes as they are applied on "next strike" basis.

Also melee dps love the buff. I like to play nice with others =)