PDA

View Full Version : AoE tanking in Ulduar

chrisvaughan0101
07-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Hi all,

I was in Ulduar the other night, just before Freya. And the adds that have 1 big plant, and a lot of little plants.

Well I was to tank the adds, I thought, 'Hmm, nice and easy'

Holy Shield, ran in, Avengers Shield, Consecration...

All the mobs took damage (albeit little damage), stayed on me for a second, then started zerging around the raid. And I had a nightmare pulling them back, we killed with no deaths.

The next pack, I was on the big flower, and the warrior tank charged the adds, thunderclapped and had aggro on them all.

Just a quick question, what am I doing wrong, any advice/critisism is welcome.

Thanking in advance,

~ Lilt

xenogriff
07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
first off, when u use avenger's shield, are the flowers close enough to each other for it to bounce? also might want to note that its only 3 targets for AS (1 if u've glyphed the bounce out)

second, in regard to consecrate - u will have to think of it as a dot and not an instant. even if ur consecrate is there, if the mobs run past it just after or before it ticks, theres no aggro generation. compare this to a DK's D&D or a warrior's TC which are instants, its much easier for them to pick up aoe packs.

its a little bit trickier for pallies to pick up spawning groups of adds but once we do, we can generate a lot of aggro on them.

Snippy
07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
All tanks are not created equal. We're all capable but achieve the same results differently.

Make sure you're the one doing the initial pull and have concecrate down before you even pull. Once you pull make sure the dps know to lay off until you've had 2-3 seconds to gain aggro. Then start tabbing like a made man. Tab attack tab attack tab attack, and always keep concecrate down and your shield up. (I'm going to assume your tanking with vengence)

And yah you'll have a bad pull of them from time to time on those. Just make sure no healers get nommed to death. DPS are fine to die though, if they die on that pull its their fault.. so point and laugh and sit on their dead body. :)