PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice learning/leveling

Wiredude
07-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi, I've been leveling an alt for a while now, with the intent for him to be a tank, and possibly become my main toon as well. I've gotten him basically up to where I'm almost ready to start into Northrend (lvl 67 currently).
Armory Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Whisperwind&n=Dreymor)
My question is this basically. Are there certain runs I should focus on to learn tanking techniques? I've done Slave Pens, and Blood Furnace as the tank, and managed to not have any wipes (only lost one terribly under-geared toon 2x in Blood Furnace, I think there was 1 death on the SP run). I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but I also know there's a ton still to learn.
Rotationally I've been using the following,
Single target -- Charge > Shield Slam > Devestate (until 5-stack) > Revenge > Concussive Blow (after Sunder stack) I also try and hit Heroic Strike whenever I have a bunch of excess rage.
Multi target/packs -- Charge > Tunder Clap > take a couple steps back to get everything in front > Shockwave > to the single target rotation tabbing to try and get threat on everything, though I generally sub Cleave(glyphed) for the rage dump with multiple targets. So far I've held agro pretty well, other than having the occasional DK Death-gripping things over my shoulder.

What I'm trying to do is to avoid building bad habits that I'll later have to break. I've become an avid reader over on TankinTips.com, and try and find what I can here as well. Just looking for advice/tips.

Nazhir
07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
To be honest your rotations look pretty good, you seem to know what you're talking about.

Might I suggest, however, that you take Glyph of Revenge over Glyph of Rapid Charge. This lets you use Heroic Strike (a high threat ability) free of charge when you Revenge. It will help your single-target threat a lot.

Other than that, you seem to be well on your way. Instances will change and vary as you progress through them - some are easy, some are hard. Don't get discouraged if you have some issues when you hit Northrend in 5 mans; a lot of the instances are very different from those in BC, it's just a matter of learning them.

Hope this helps :)

vonholck
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
As said, you seem to be getting along fine, however:

Rotation: If I were you i would just use: ss>rev>deva for single target instead of devax5 in the start, as that seems to do more threat and its more rage efficiant, but if the other thing works for you its np.

Glyphs: Get glyph of blocking, its considdered pretty much a must and its a really nice threat boost. As for the others, based on what you feel you need the most, suvivability: last stand and shield wall. threat: deva or HS.

Doormat
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
As far as key binds I use WASD to move and I have the following important mappings:

my Q key is bound to all my heavily used abilities:
Q - Heroic Strike (also bound to mouse wheel up)
Alt Q - Shield Slam
Ctrl Q - Revenge

my E key is bound to all my starter moves:
E - Attack
Alt E - Ranged Attack
Ctrl E - Heroic Throw
Shift E - Warbringer macro (charge/intercept/intervene)

My reasoning for this is that I find the Q key to be the easiest to reach with my hand so it should be heavily used. The E key is likewise easy to use and I like it to pick up unexpected adds quickly.

I bind the rest of my keys around there - R F V T G B Z X C all hold some use without much reasoning for why (I do have F as thunderclap and Shift F as Shockwave because I usually use them around the same time). Likewise r is spell reflect, shift r is shield bash (both of my "deal with spell attack" buttons).

Play around with it and practice it.

Wiredude
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, Glyph-wise I've kinda just let things ride a bit from the early days leveling in Arms, but I've swapped over to the more tanky stuff that I can do with my inscriptionist. I've been planning on getting the Revenge glyph when I get the slot unlocked, but perhaps I should replace the charge glyph now, I had it for the increased mobility, but I would probably be better served by getting in the habit of having the free HS.
I've fiddled around with keybinds, however the big issue that I have is I find it difficult to get the movement I want with the mouse, I can move forward and turn easy enough, but straffeing and backing up I still need the keys for. I'm actually thinking about getting a better mouse (I currently have a normal 3-button) so that I can bind more stuff to that hand. I'm also one of those people who has to 1/2 look at the keys to find the ones I really want, so that also makes things tougher when I try to work on using keybinds.