PDA

View Full Version : Threat/Survivability issues. Appreaciate advice.

Midi
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Before I get started I want to preface this with I have no angst against my fellow tanks, healers, or guild officer. They're great people and if I say something that may appear bad, that wasn't my intention so please don't take it as such.

Armory Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Saurfang&n=Midi). For some reason I have Gossamer on. I replaced it with the Heart of Iron trinket.
WMO Parse (http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/detail/155439632#threat). Ulduar25 General. Some occasional rage starve moments.

I'm struggling to keep up threat wise at the moment. AoE trash pulls I can afk atm, but that's hardly surprising. Single target I'm way below our other tanks. My paladin buddy can even create more threat as an OT than I can while being beat upon.

I've also been informed by an officer I've been called squishy by the healers since hitting Ulduar25 which raises survivability concerns.

Gear is an obvious issue for me. I've been unlucky with expertise drops in the past and sadly my chances of doing Ulduar10 is pretty limited due to family commitments.

I feel like I'm in a catch 22. Boosting my TPS creates survivability issues while jacking my survivability dips my threat output even more. I'm very reliant on my gems to get hit/exp cap to the point where I feel I can't accept upgrades.

The frustrating thing is, I feel as if that even if I did have BiS across the board, I'm not convinced I'll get similar threat/survivability that my paladin friend has. This could be due to a blow to confidence or just plain fact. I'm just not sure any more.

Rotation wise I'm always focusing on the SS -> Revenge -> Conc/Shock -> TC -> Devastate. The parses I've looked at indicate that TC still trumps Devastate for a GCD in terms of threat.

Shield Block is popped more times than enrage ^^

Vigilance (and glyph) is usually on a hunter or mage.

I'm really not too sure where to go from here and I'd really appreciate some advice.

Nazhir
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
First of all, you should look at moving Devastate closer to the start of your rotation. If you get 5 Sunders up, it will increase the damage (and therefore threat) of all your other abilities use against the target. I never let 5 Sunders fade from a Boss.

I think you may have logged out in your DPS gear :( so I can't give recommendations based on gear just yet.

In regards to your survivability issues, you could look at taking 5/5 Shield Specialization. Where you draw the points from is up to you.

You said your Paladin OT was pulling more aggro than you. If you aren't already, you should Vigilance your OT. He'll take less damage and will boost your threat.

I can't give much more tips than that until I see your gear. Let me know when you've logged out in your Prot gear and I will take a look.

Hope some of this helps :)

Tanksforus
07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
General is a bitch for rage starving, he hits so slow so if u dodge 2 of his attacks its like 10seconds without rage. paladins run out of mana, druids also struggle a little with rage on him. Only tank that pwns his face is dk`s yet again.
im sitting at 26.4%dodge, 18.8%parry and 16%block, buffed in 25man dodge is like 30%. And ive got same problems on him you get hit woot rage, 5 seconds later, no rage avoidance streak. heals love it , we dont.
i still managed to do around 5ktps though with rage starved, just be wary and only use your high threat moves. and make sure hunters use md on every cooldown, same as rogues... why o why did they have to put a
-25% melee haste on him aswell.

Midi
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Apologies, I had some spare time before heading to work and got a quick AB in, I'll log out correctly in about 8 hours (weekend, yay)

I should of also been more detailed in my explanation. I do prioritise getting Sunder stacks up and then fall back into the rotation I mentioned. Focus on Devastate but I try to get at least one SS, Rev, and TC in while building the 5 stacks.

Rhyseh
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
General is a bitch for all classes that are dependent on incoming damage. As a warrior tank you will be hard pressed for threat. Make sure you have all rogue's using their TotT on you, hunters MD you and use vigilance on the highest TPS caster (normally a warlock or fire mage). Have your paladins be ready to use Hand of Salv if the casters start riding too high. Also don't spam HS over much unless you have the incoming rage to spare.