PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of the jitters?

Tazlex
07-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Armory: Tazlex

Real quick background, I came from a DPS class to tank and still play both regularly. I can join any PuG just fine right now with my mage as I am very confident in my understanding and DPS. However...its not quite like that with my Paladin.

I've begun tanking for my guild about a month and a half ago or so. I've tanked so far all of 10 man Naxx except KT. Most of Ulduar 10, and Emalon 10 and 25. I am very comfortable obviously in guild runs as we usually always one shot everything with little trouble.

So here is my question. When it comes to joining PuG's as a MT or OT. Do you get the jitters? and if so, how do you get rid of them or put them off to the side? I know it seems quite silly, but being as there is only two tanks usually to a raid and most raids seem to not mind replacing you at a moments notice if you screw up as someone will be there to switch specs to replace you.

Thank you for reading.

Agadez
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Haha, that's awesome! Same exact thing happened to me. I went from going through Ulduar on my Mage to rolling my Warrior up to tanking Naxx25/VoA25 and I still get the jitters.

I'm pretty confident in myself and know when I mess up and have no problems with that, but yet I too can't shake the jitters!

Zelthan
07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I have been tanking since lvl 60 in BC and at times i still get them when i go into a pug. I have tanked up to Yogg in 10 man Ulduar and if its not a guild run I still have doubts that im doing as best as I can. After the first boss i usually lossen up and get into my groove. Only advice i can really give ya is to just do your best and pretend that your doing your normal guild runs and after a boss or two it gets easier as you start to see how the people in the PuG are working. Most of the jitters people get tanking in PuGs is because they usually have to do things different than with there ghuilds and it creates a sense of being lost but after a little bit more experiance it'll be better easier for you to transition between the two types of runs.

Rokbal
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
This used to happen to me too. It happens to everyone. Fighters get it before a match. Soldiers get it before a battle. Businessmen before a presentation and politicians before a speech. It's just due to fear - fear of failure, fear of death, fear of being embarrassed or humiliated. Fear is an innate human trait - no one is without it. How you deal with it is what makes the difference. As long as you don't let it control you, you'll be ok.

Fact is, once you join the battle, instinct and survival just take over. Your ability to rely on your skills, instincts, and decisiveness are what drive you and enable you to succeed.

In this case, you don't experience it with your guild because you are comfortable, and if you mess up, most likely all you'll get is some ball breaking. In the case of a pug, you're out of your comfort zone, and there's more on the line - your reputation, perhaps.

Either way, you just have to deal with the fear, let it in, accept it, then forget it. I found rolling into a pug and taking control allows me to immediately get in my groove and my confidence knows no bounds. Let's face it, most of the time the tank is the leader. If you are invited into a pug, go in and immediately take control. Tell them you want lead. Tell them this is how the fight / run is going to go. Move and act and lead with confidence and decisiveness and most of the time, the troops will fall in line. If anyone objects, tell them you're there to have a successful and organized run, and that's how you roll. If they don't like it, maybe you're not the tank for them. They may say you're right, you're not - but there will always be another pug. Most of the time though, no one will object and you'll have a great run, you will have totally forgotten about your jitters, and before long you won't even get them any more.

Tazlex
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Appreciate the responses.

I understand its a human trait, just really bugs ya when its sitting there in the back of your mind as you are about to whisper someone that you will OT/MT for them. Yea it is a bit about reputation as well. I'll try it out, just going in and trying to get into the groove you guys mentioned. Thank you again.

Jejune
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Hehe, tanked my first H UK last night. Was so nervous am surprised I even hit the keys on the keyboard. I think I was harder on me than anyone else in there. 4 out of the 5 guildies and the 5th really nice person and hung in there. So, today at work have been looking up enchants for threat for weapon, glyphs and so on. Gear is righ up there on list just that the treat wasnt in the Heroic. Fine fo regulars. Yes, it will take many times but think we will all get there.

Theotherone
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Rokbal is right. Going in and taking charge and leading is the key. It's confidence and when you display that to the PuG, you get a better run. Not saying you ursurp the Raid Leader's authority, it's just you set the tempo of the run. You're saying "I've been here before and I know what to do." i.e. "Come with me if you want to live."

Beefstud
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I am some what new to tanking as well! I started tanking about 4 months ago after I decided that my mage was extremely boring to me. But my first run was Heroic CoS, I sucked really bad and was completely nervous about the whole thing. Needless to say I didn't give up and thankfully found TankSpot! It took a little while to get used to rotations and what not and I still got the jitters, more so when I attempted my first raid. Now I still get the jitters and maybe even an adrenaline rush right before I attempt any raid! I don't see my nervousness as a problem to me, actually I prefer them. The jitters I get seem to help me do better as a tank because I am more aware of the situation at hand and therefore causes less of a chance for my to mess up. I hope this helped, and sorry for the long post/explanation.

Bogota
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
This thread makes me smile. I remember when I first faced The Prince in Karazhan I would always get the jitters. At that time you had to hit your shield block every 6 seconds without fail or it was a sure wipe (and we often wiped anyways). Just before I pulled that guy I would get so jumpy. I cheered out loud if we took him down.

I don't get the jitters like that anymore, but I still am pretty excited just before a pull in a fight my raid hasn't mastered. That adrenaline rush is what keeps me tanking. :)

vonholck
07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Well ain't that feeling of tension really what makes the game so damn fun? I remember going from a guild doing ZA and SC directly to guild doing sunwell. They let me MT illidan and guardian tank on muru within my first week as trial, nearly shit my pants literally shaking in my chair on every try :P

However those encounters where you have the jitters are allways the most rewarding once you get them down in terms of a feeling of satisfaction :)