PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need to start entry level Heroics?

Leonardo
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey after I turned 80 I tried to tank H UK and got owned at first boss. My stamina is 21421 and my defense is 534. I actually have better stamina gear but then my Defense rating would drop, and I know that my defense should be around 560 so i don't wanna switch down. heres my Armory

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazgrel&n=Leonardo)

What gear can I get to improve my stamina and defense, and ultimately let me start tanking heroics? Thanks

Telix
07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
You need 535 defense to tank Heroics, and although you're gearing the right way generally, you have too little health. Swap one of your dodge/defense gems for a +16 defense gem to get you uncrittable, or put the +defense enchant on your shield. Buy the cheap Borean Leather armor patches (+18 stam) and throw them on everything that isn't otherwise enchanted. I'm sure you can replace those green bracers with something crafted.

I started Heroics with 540 defense and 23K health and still felt squishy at times. Just push through and start getting badges and you'll be well on your way.

Garshek
07-08-2009, 03:50 AM
I might suggest tweaking your spec a bit. Not that it's bad, but you're missing a few great threat talents. I see you're over 540 def now which is great. Just keep farming gear and grabbing enchants on the stuff you have. You could get +20 def on your shield and drop a def gem for a +sta one and get a bit more EH.

Aside from that, off to a pretty good start it seems.

Leonardo
07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok guys I picked up the frosthide leg armor and switched out my bracers for Blacksmith ones. I'm gonna be putting enchants on all my gear soon.

Garshek, what is EH?

Thanks for the advice

Andaris
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
EH is "Effective Health"

He's right, more hitpoints won't go amiss. Aim for 22-23k. Don't worry about dropping a little bit below 535, if you have a decent healer it isn't required that you be uncrittable.

I'm gonna say that again, slower. If your healer is decent, and you have the choice between a few K hitpoints and being over the 535 uncrittable (in heroics) floor, you'll do better to be crittable and have more mitigation and HP.

I wouldn't say that for a DK, but for a Warrior or Pally it's really not that big a deal. Again, WITH a good healer. :P

Garshek
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
A big upgrade that should be pretty easy too is to swap out the meta gem in your helm. Replace the +20def & SBV one with a +32 sta and +2% armor. That will be a big help, you can make up the 20 def with a few chants (which you said you were going to do)

If you're interested a quick list of the chants I would get are:

+20 def to shield
+18 Sta to gloves (it's actually a leatherworking kit, not an enchant, also might not be 18 sta might only be 12...)
+stam to boots
+200 health to chest (I say only 200 because it's only a blue item, you can use a cheaper chant...)
external belt buckle for your belt and throw a +24 sta gem in there
Get working on Sons of Hodir rep for shoulder enchant
but something on those bracers, again I wouldn't break the bank doing it, but every bit helps especially if you're JUST starting out.

As was mentioned if you can find a GOOD healer to partner with you it makes life a LOT easier. With your current gear you should be fine to tank Heroic UK, Heroic Nexus, Heroic VH...all of those will drop things that will help you improve. Look at Heroic AN for a nice tanking trinket (+111 stam)...

Hope that advice helps. For what it's worth I was in your position about 3 weeks ago and I made some serious progress thanks to badges, crafting, and having a decent DPS set to tag along in some Naxx runs.

That opens up a whole different side, if you haven't already, consider building a DPS set. If you get a DPS set it's a lot easier to get "carried" through Naxx as a DPSer than as a tank. Plus if the tanks already have the prot gear (which a lot of them will) you should get to roll on it for offspec. But I digress...