PDA

View Full Version : Spell Rotation - Prot Pally

Jejune
07-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Need advice, just starting to tank heroics in LK. We are trying to figure out right rotation.

Will give what I have for first three spots, add the rest, do I have first three right. Thanks

First 3 are Consecration, Avenger Shiled and Hand of Realm

Am geared well and def is 551, stamina is 1800.

Had problems holding aggro

Thanks

Osiris90
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Jejune, first of all welcome to the wonderful world that is paladin tanking. :)

For paladins there is no set rotation as such, both retribution and protection work off a fcfs (First Come, First Served) 'rotation' (using the word losely there).

Basically as abilities come off cooldown you hit them again straightaway. However due to cooldown clashing which is very common you must learn to prioritize certain abilities over others and get to know what ability would be best in what situation.

Two major things to keep in mind are Seal of Vengeance and of course, Righteous Fury. SoV is the primary tanking seal with all of your abilites able to add the debuffs onto mobs, this is epecially good in AoE situations with the use of Hammer of the Righteous.

Take the average heroic pull for example, 3 mobs close together enough to all get a taste of your Avenger's Shield. In this situation I immediately open with Avenger's Shield and Consecrate at the end of the GCD, walking backwards slightly so the mobs have to run the full span of the Cons. before reaching me.

From there on you would go into your main TPS abilities, and now is where you look at what situation you are in - to put it simply: are you with DPS that put out a lot of AoE damage or ones with single target?

For AoE DPS you should be prioritizing Hammer of the Righteous > Consecration > Shield of the Righteous > Judgement

Single target on the other hand: Shield of the Righteous > Hammer of the Righteous > Judgement > Consecration.

For pulls, or bosses where there is only one mob then naturally you will be using the single target DPS prioritisation.

That's a fairly basic overview but will certainly get you on the right track; once you get in a bit more practice these things will become second nature to you.

Hope this helps. :)

Jejune
07-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks. My gear is very good for tanking, worked hard on getting it all together.

If you read this, one more question. What enchant for weapon. We put 26 agility on it but I am more interested in keeping threat right now. Executioner? some other?

Thanks

Osiris90
07-08-2009, 08:49 AM
For a starter wep enchant I would go with the TBC Potency enchant which gives 20 Strength; after the strength talent in tier 1 of protection and kings this gives 50 AP and some block value, placing it above Greater Potency enchant which just gives a straight 50 AP.

As to the +65 AP enchant I'm not up to doing the math at the moment but I feel that it would still fall short of +20 strength.

xenogriff
07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
hi jejune,

check out Maintankadin • View topic - 3.1 Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin basics (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21932) and Maintankadin • View topic - 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ. (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21933#p404160)

basically u will be wanting to keep a rotation of a long > short > long > short cds in this case should be soemthing like HotR > Judgement > SotR > Holy Shield - consecration should only be thrown in if those 4 are on cd. for now u can substitute judgement for exorcism every 2nd rotation, but changes in 3.2 (thanks to pvp -_-) means exorcism will be knocked out of the rotation unless its the initial pull

Akeber
07-08-2009, 09:17 PM
For paladins there is no set rotation as such, both retribution and protection work off a fcfs (First Come, First Served) 'rotation' (using the word losely there).

While this may be true for ret, it is incorrect for prot. Prot paladins have a set rotation based on alternating nine and six second abilities, commonly called the "969 rotation", which gives zero cooldown clash or down time when cycled properly. Do a search on tankspot, maintankadin, or even google and you will find discussion and even some videos showing how it's done.

Honorshammer
07-09-2009, 07:07 AM
You might find this link helpful.

Honor's Code: Back To Basics: The 969 Paladin Threat Rotation (http://honorscode.blogspot.com/2009/06/back-to-basics-969-paladin-threat.html)

Silveronfire
07-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Following 9696 is a great way to go. mashing the keyboard works for ret to a certain extent, but protadins want to make sure they can use something every GC or they risk losing threat to a wayward hunter 10-15 sec into the fight.

happy tanking!