PDA

View Full Version : Blood DW Tanking spec.

Lilithium
07-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello all.

Our guild currently does not have any DK tanks. No clue how this happened. Lilithium who is my alt is the only one in the guild, and I tend to get called upon a lot to tank heroics, and the odd raid.

The issue I'm finding is that while my guild progresses through Ulduar and gets superior gear, I don't with my DK and find it harder and harder to maintain threat on single targets.

It should be noted that I run a DW Blood build, so if we can keep posts like "Get a two hander" to a minimum that'd be appreciate, mmk?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Bonechewer&cn=Lilithium&gn=TSP)

I'm also considering moving the 5/5 from Black Ice into 2/2 Epidemic, 3/5 Necrosis.

Jaeden
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
If they are progressing and you aren't, then you have pretty much answered your own post.

Things you can do:

1. Get Ulduar tanking weapons and use our enchants for them.

2. Regem for exp/stam and then when exp cap is reached, hit. Two weapons, especially if fast, increases you parry gibbing yourself.

3. Look into 2h for now, try it as an alt spec and see if that helps until the 3.2 dual wield changes come out.

Silveronfire
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
The problem blood tanks face realistically is that dk tanking is highly related to dps, unlike a palladin who might make "pure" threat. In this regard, Blood Tanking is weak in higher end content as blood dps and therefore tps (threat per second) is reliant on armor pen, attack power and crit to be effective.

Long story short, blood dps in tank gear is low...you are going to have lower tps than one of the other spell damage based builds like unholy or frost.

I personally do not believe that DW will "gimp" your threat, but more likely it will be a cause for concern beacuse you are using other gem slots and enchant slots to accomodate not using Rune of the stoneskin gargoyle. So yeah you dont "have" to 2hand tank, but you will find life a lot easier if you do.

Inaara
07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
The problem blood tanks face realistically is that dk tanking is highly related to dps, unlike a palladin who might make "pure" threat. In this regard, Blood Tanking is weak in higher end content as blood dps and therefore tps (threat per second) is reliant on armor pen, attack power and crit to be effective.

Long story short, blood dps in tank gear is low...you are going to have lower tps than one of the other spell damage based builds like unholy or frost.

I personally do not believe that DW will "gimp" your threat, but more likely it will be a cause for concern beacuse you are using other gem slots and enchant slots to accomodate not using Rune of the stoneskin gargoyle. So yeah you dont "have" to 2hand tank, but you will find life a lot easier if you do.

Blood performs very well in regards to threat and in comparison tests I have run perform way better than Unholy in regards to single target threat and is about even with frost.

OP - You may not want to hear "go get a 2-hander" but that is the only thing that will increase your TPS and DPS. No tree currently effectively supports DW tanking and this is because strikes only take your main hand into consideration. Even after the patch Frost will be the only tree that effectively supports DW tanking via Threat of Thassarian.

Get a 2-hander and enjoy the big numbers. If your guild can kill 25 man Ignis then Worldcarver - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45165) is your goal.

vine
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
If you don't want honest help, then don't ask for it. :) Putting conditionals in your question suggests you already know the answer, and are not prepared to listen.

It's not simply about superior 2hander weapon damage, it's the fact that you have to stack so much hit and expertise to DW tank that you effectively gimp your other stats. If you can't hit the target you can't generate any threat. At the moment you have 179 hit and 12 expertise, this is low even for a 2hander spec, for DW you need closer to 300 hit and 26 expertise. There is little synergy in our talents to make DW effective, and seeing as you're blood, even less so.

Try to avoid gemming for parry, it gives lower avoidance point-for-point than dodge. Gemming for dodge will also increase your threat through more Rune Strike procs.

Replace the weapon enchants with DK runes, Swordbreaking will give you a solid +4% avoidance without any DR. As a Blood DK there's literally no reason to use Blood Draining.

You've missed a few solid threat talents: Blood Gorged is great for threat because most Blood attacks are physical. Epidemic will keep your diseases ticking longer, allowing you to spam more Heart Strike and Death Strike before having to refresh them. Improved Icy Touch is a great damage reduction talent, so unless you have someone else able to reduce attack speed, you'll be taking more damage.

Vlad
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
If you don't want honest help, then don't ask for it. :) Putting conditionals in your question suggests you already know the answer, and are not prepared to listen.

It's not simply about superior 2hander weapon damage, it's the fact that you have to stack so much hit and expertise to DW tank that you effectively gimp your other stats. If you can't hit the target you can't generate any threat. At the moment you have 179 hit and 12 expertise, this is low even for a 2hander spec, for DW you need closer to 300 hit and 26 expertise. There is little synergy in our talents to make DW effective, and seeing as you're blood, even less so.

Try to avoid gemming for parry, it gives lower avoidance point-for-point than dodge. Gemming for dodge will also increase your threat through more Rune Strike procs.

Replace the weapon enchants with DK runes, Swordbreaking will give you a solid +4% avoidance without any DR. As a Blood DK there's literally no reason to use Blood Draining.

You've missed a few solid threat talents: Blood Gorged is great for threat because most Blood attacks are physical. Epidemic will keep your diseases ticking longer, allowing you to spam more Heart Strike and Death Strike before having to refresh them. Improved Icy Touch is a great damage reduction talent, so unless you have someone else able to reduce attack speed, you'll be taking more damage.

Pretty spot on advice, the reality is there is no good DW spec right now.. especially blood because it's so dependant on physical dmg.
Take a look at Rawr and you'll see about a 40% difference in threat just by switching weapons.
If you absolutely have to have a DW spec you're probably better off frost spec, this is about the best DW blood spec I could come up with.
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#jcERqh0Isb0bssxhxcZcx)

vine
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
@Vlad
You have 2hand and DW talents in that spec, kind of redundant.

Vlad
07-09-2009, 04:24 AM
lol did I? what a bad :)