PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Iron Council (Hard Mode)

Ciderhelm
07-06-2009, 04:35 AM
9B8hqGML-78

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

I had to cut a little bit out of the script due to length and it's already pretty quick, so I've added an unedited transcript as the first response to this post! (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/52308-ulduar-iron-council-hard-mode.html#post249319)

Ciderhelm
07-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Welcome back to the Ulduar raid guide! My name's Ciderhelm, I'm the administrator of TankSpot.com, and in this video I'll show you our Iron Council Hard Mode strategy.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Susbcribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Killing Steelbreaker last is a Patchwerk-style DPS race with enormous raid healing requirements. We found the best balance was to bring 2 tanks and 5-6 healers to the encounter. Additionally, two non-tanking Paladins with Divine Sacrifice are extremely valuable.

During the Steelbreaker phase itself, you can either attempt to kill him within three tank deaths or plan your cooldowns around a fourth tank to increase the DPS time for your raid. The third tank is doable with strong DPS, but after a 49k health, we found it decidedly easier to just plan on a fourth tank.

I'll clarify that 3-tanks and 4-tanks refers to rotations of tanks due to unavoidable tank deaths, but either can be performed fine with two tanks using soulstones or, ideally, glyphed rebirth to get back in the encounter.

Prior to killing Steelbreaker, though, you'll need to kill off both Molgeim and Brundir, which offer unique challenges in the way the encounter is approached.

Phase 1 of Iron Council Hard Mode works very similarly to the normal encounter in that the abilities of each of the targets do not change. You will still be dealing with a small AOE aura, sporadic casts from Brundir, and runes from Molgeim that the raid should take advantage of and the tank should move Molgeim out of.

Getting to Steelbreaker can be done one of two ways -- either killing Brundir first and Molgeim second or Molgeim first and Brundir second.

Killing Brundir first and Molgeim second seems like an obvious choice given Molgeim can leave runes of power on the ground going into phase 3, which virtually guarantees a kill within the timer. However, we found that the amount of randomness and the higher risk of unavoidable deaths from Molgeim's death runes in phase 2 made the encounter substantially more difficult and we reverted to killing Molgeim first.

During Phase 1, we have a DPS DK keeping Brundir occupied in the middle of the room while we kill Molgeim in the front.

Molgeim should be positioned close to runes of power any time they are cast on either himself or Steelbreaker to increase DPS. However, it's important for the raid to realize that neither phase 1 or phase 2 are DPS races and they should pace their threat, mana, and cooldown usage accordingly.

We found using a felhunter was the most reliable way to break the rune buff Molgeim casts on himself.

During this time, the Steelbreaker tank should be careful not to move too often as Steelbreaker will occasionally target someone else with Fusion Punch if the tank is moving. Additionally, the Fusion Punch dispellers should be aware that there is a small chance for the dispel to fail, so there should be a backup as often as possible.

After Molgeim is dead, Steelbreaker begins using his Static Disruption ability, which is a direct damage spell and debuff he casts on a player that greatly increases nature damage. This debuff will also apply to players near his target. Since Steelbreaker still maintains his raid-wide AOE during this time and his overall damage increased when Molgeim died, it is important to take this ability seriously. Nature Resistance auras during the rest of the encounter are critical.

Static Disruption will always prefer targets at a range and will only target players in melee range if there are no targets at a range when he is ready to choose a target. The debuff stacks and lasts for 20 seconds, so a single player cannot take the debuff every time.

There are two ways to handle this during phases 2 and 3. First, as you'll see in this video, you can have 2-3 players cycle in and out of melee range, leaving your desired target at ranged to be targeted by Steelbreaker. This is very controlled but will lower DPS or Healing from any players doing it.

The alternative is to leave three players out of range at all times. This is due to a secondary targeting mechanic -- Steelbreaker will not apply static disruption to a target that currently has static disruption if there is another player without the debuff at a range.

Positioning in Phases 2 and 3 is critical. The strategy we found worked best was for Brundir to be tanked in such a way that melee players could attacking Brundir while still in range of Steelbreaker. All other players, including the Steelbreaker tank, would be at the maximum melee range from Steelbreaker. Ranged players would be at a range on the opposite side of Steelbreaker from Brundir.

This works because, if positioned correctly, Brundir's Overload falls just short of the range required to hit the raid on the other side of steelbreaker. Since the Melee can still stay in range of Steelbreaker, they will never be in danger of Static Disruption being cast on them and can focus on interrupting Lightning Whirls.

Phase 2 is where most problems will occur for guilds working on Iron Council Hard Mode. This is because the raid cannot afford any deaths, depending on your strategy, battle resses may be reserved for Phase 3 tanks. If people die and resurrection is not available, it's important to identify this quickly and call a wipe unless you're confident you can meet the Phase 3 DPS minimums without them.

At about 20% health left on Brundir, we call for most of the raid to switch targets to Steelbreaker to get debuffs active and ready for a burn phase. At this point, we decide whether or not to wait until another Overload before killing Brundir, as it's important that the tanks be able to face Steelbreaker away from the raid without being hit by an Overload.

When Brundir dies, the encounter becomes a burn phase. Steelbreaker increases his damage and now also applies a debuff to his current tank which increases their damage output by 200% but also causes them to meltdown and die after 30 seconds. When meltdown occurs, it also deals very high high AOE damage. Tank switches will need to occur immediately before the meltdown occurs so the previous tank can run away from the raid before exploding. When any player in the raid dies, including the tanks who meltdown, he will heal for 1 million health, or 10% of his life, so long as a healing debuff is applied to him. He will also increase his damage by another 25% for each player death. It is important that no one other than tanks die at this time.

The first tank has about a 10-second lead-in time before the debuff is applied, giving your raid about 40 seconds of pure DPS time before his first heal occurs. Since many players will be able to make use of cooldowns twice during this phase if they use the first one immediately, we choose to burn Heroism immediately. Before the first tank dies, we aim for less than 50% health remaining on Steelbreaker.

Glyph of Rebirth is by far the most stable way to revive a tank in this encounter. However, if you choose to use Soulstones, the tank must watch raid health for ticks of Steelbreaker's AOE and resurrect immediately after one so they can be healed up.

If your'e planning on killing Steelbreaker in three tank rotations, have your Paladins begin using chaining Divine Sacrifice AOE Shield Walls immediately after the tank transition occurs to the third tank. If a Retribution Paladin uses this first then taunts Steelbreaker, then salvs himself, he has a high chance of gaining the 200% damage buff from Steelbreaker, but this should only be done if the encounter cannot extend longer than 30 seconds and will not go to a fourth tank.

If you're using four tanks, the AOE shield walls should be saved for immediately before the 4th tank taunts. The third tank also needs to make sure cooldowns are chained on themselves and buffs/debuffs are active on Steelbreaker and the next tank.

Whether you're using three or four tanks, you can make the fight easier by using a mage ice block rotation near the end of the encounter. If a mage goes to ranged and everyone else stays in melee, the mage will take a static disruption. He or she can immediately ice block, and as long as they stay ice blocked for 10 seconds, they will also take a second static disruption without taking damage.

All in all, this is a heavy healing encounter with high DPS requirements. You can do things to make it easier, but you'll need strong DPS and smart players to get through it.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more!

Gluteas
07-06-2009, 05:05 AM
woot!

Ciderhelm
07-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Movie up and donor download has about 15 minutes left!

Ciderhelm
07-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Donor download up!

Martie
07-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Nice movie.
I did the fight on 10man yesterday, and here are a few of my observations.

If you have a paladin start tanking steelbreaker, he can dispel his own fusion punches, so your healers won't have to worry about it in phase one and two.

For the tank on steelbreaker, threat is a non-issue. You'll have enough, so focus on defense instead of threat building.

Immunity effects don't prevent the auto-death debuff. Bubble is ineffective against it.

Bragoon
07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Manbearpig kills the entire raid after the kill. I lol'd hard.
but otherwise great video! Once my guild starts attempting this in 25 this will be a great asset like all the other videos!

squats
07-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Nice movie.
I did the fight on 10man yesterday, and here are a few of my observations.

If you have a paladin start tanking steelbreaker, he can dispel his own fusion punches, so your healers won't have to worry about it in phase one and two.

For the tank on steelbreaker, threat is a non-issue. You'll have enough, so focus on defense instead of threat building.

Immunity effects don't prevent the auto-death debuff. Bubble is ineffective against it.

for this fight Ciderhelm went with his UA spec, and i was the debuff (sunder/demo shout) guy, because he gets the +200% damage increase during heroism and could do well over 9000dps during his tanking time.

i also went fury because im the only dps warrior, and debuffing as arms kills your dps, and arms doesnt get much of a dps increase during heroism

Gluteas
07-06-2009, 07:22 AM
but otherwise great video! Once my guild starts attempting this in 25 this will be a great asset like all the other videos!

for a minute there i was like wtf.... lawl... grats guys

Ciderhelm
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
21k revenge crits make me very, very happy.

Wreckface
07-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Update your UI thread!

Peca
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I noticed you were in strange position on second tank switch.That was cause you wanted that way or graphic error or i dont know what .I ask that cause I sometime have problem when tanking boss that almost look same as you on this video,from I dont know what reason my char take some strange position like boss is on my side and not turned to my face.Btw great movie and hd version is sick. Great job :).

Vilge
07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice vid.

Meloree
07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I would make a note that the range on meltdown is small enough that if the tank is at max melee range, and the dps are directly behind at max melee range, nobody has to move to avoid meltdown. Additionally, if the 2nd tank taunts Steelbreaker during P2, he'll already be 2nd on threat, so you can buy a few seconds extra seconds by just waiting out the first tanks meltdown, and not taunting that swap.

For cooldown usage, we've found that the 1st tank doesn't need any cooldowns at all, the 2nd tank needs cooldown coverage only for fusion punches, and the 3rd tank (and 4th if you're going that route) need cooldown coverage fulltime.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

Gluteas
07-06-2009, 09:37 AM
21k revenge crits make me very, very happy.

UA Spec? I bet you spamming Revenge on Stormcaller Brundir keeps him "silenced" so no Lightning Bolts/Whirls...

Snuss
07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Alternatively, my guild uses a strategy that required a bit more control and raid healing in p2, but assured that we only needed two tank deaths in p3. We kill Stormcaller first, and get Runemaster to 2% and bring the two together. We wait until he begins to cast a rune of power to kill him, so that we get a rune of power+lust/CDs and can get Steelbreaker to 30% before the first tank death.

This requires perfect positioning in p3 to keep Steelbreaker out of the rune but in range for melee to get a rune, as well as the added aspect of more runes of power and rune of death in p2, but with practice this strategy has worked well for us in seriously decreasing the dps time needed in p3.

Krenian
07-06-2009, 10:35 AM

Correction! He NEARLY kills anyone.

A certain someone stays alive, much to his dismay. /flex

Alkahn
07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Great video (and epic finish)

Just a note on a trick we used in doing this on hard mode in the 10-man version. We usually run the fight w/ a pali tank, myself as the second tank (warrior) and our feral druid runs as full cat on the fight. But when the pali dies in phase 3, rather than have me taunt directly, the feral goes to (short) range, pops barkskin (just in case), goes bear form, and taunts, and I taunt him right before the boss gets to the feral. This gives us an angry angry double-dmg feral kitty (at which point we heroism), and the both of us die after Steelbreaker is dead.

Good way to squeeze more dmg out of your raid in a 10-man, probably not worth the risk in 25s. Any DPS class with a ranged taunt (presumably hunters as well) could do this trick for the "last" tank phase. You only need to get aggro for a second to get overcharge.

Síhrtogg
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
UA Spec? I bet you spamming Revenge on Stormcaller Brundir keeps him "silenced" so no Lightning Bolts/Whirls...
You still need to get a dodge parry or block though.

Nice video as always and the transcript is a helpful addition; at some point I rewinded the video like 5 times before I clearly understood the meaning behind the collection of words. I've successfully done this encounter two weeks ago, but I think some of your tips are still helpful to keep clearing it reliably.

Tiorda
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Wow it sounds much more complicated in 25man. We two shot this in 10 man with little thought other than we might need to revive the tank, we didn't and killed him with 15 seconds to spare on the second tanks timer. Albeit I do believe the tank timer is 1 minute in 10 man.

forsakee
07-07-2009, 02:18 AM
For this hard mode it just requires killing steelbraker last.... Could you go about this normally and work on SB first geting him to 20%ish. Then kill the other 2 adds then finish the fight? Does he heal up? Or could you do this and still get the credit for hard mode

Jorge
07-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Each time one of them dies, the other one(s) heal to 100%.

In other news, thanks Cider for the well done explanation, we adopted the positioning for our 10 men kill. Two tries and the big one was done for.

Gatsuz
07-07-2009, 05:22 AM
I have a question exactly wich cooldowns were used,i mean for first fusion puch,second,and so on
1 Per fusion on tanks?,or a combination of 2 cds for 2th-3th-4th tank??
If u could answer me this please and thanks beforehand

Ciderhelm
07-07-2009, 05:25 AM
1st tank: Me, no cooldowns except maybe Shield Block.

2nd tank: Druid, no cooldowns that I'm aware of. Maybe Fur Wall.

3rd tank: Me, Shield Wall, Pain Suppression (Priest), Last Stand/Enraged. Overlapping so the whole thing is covered.

4th tank: Druid, Divine Sacrifice x 2 (Paladin), Bear Stand.

Ramnath
07-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Me, Shield Wall, Pain Suppression (Priest), Last Stand/Enraged. Overlapping so the whole thing is covered.

This is exactly what I did I used my cooldowns to cover the whole thing. We just earned our first 10m hardmode kill last night. I was the second tank as our resident druid tank is typically the MT. We only needed one tank transition.

Also, we killed Brundir first as we found it easier to deal with the interrupts and raid wide damage with me tanking him and Molgeim.

All in all it took us 5 total pulls to get it down.

Pwnanapuddin
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Question about the encounter in general. As we found with our group, you can completely avoid the Fusion Punch via Anti-Magic Shield because it is considered a negative effect. Would a DK tank be able to pop this right before a meltdown to perhaps block the damage is applied at the end? or is it too supermassive to avoid/mit through those means?

shelbert
07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Question about the encounter in general. As we found with our group, you can completely avoid the Fusion Punch via Anti-Magic Shield because it is considered a negative effect. Would a DK tank be able to pop this right before a meltdown to perhaps block the damage is applied at the end? or is it too supermassive to avoid/mit through those means?

Meltdown just kills the tank, there is no way to avoid that effect.

And seconding the following quote, the extra DPS seconds you get from this approach is a great help:

I would make a note that the range on meltdown is small enough that if the tank is at max melee range, and the dps are directly behind at max melee range, nobody has to move to avoid meltdown. Additionally, if the 2nd tank taunts Steelbreaker during P2, he'll already be 2nd on threat, so you can buy a few seconds extra seconds by just waiting out the first tanks meltdown, and not taunting that swap.

For cooldown usage, we've found that the 1st tank doesn't need any cooldowns at all, the 2nd tank needs cooldown coverage only for fusion punches, and the 3rd tank (and 4th if you're going that route) need cooldown coverage fulltime.

Gale
07-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow it sounds much more complicated in 25man. We two shot this in 10 man with little thought other than we might need to revive the tank, we didn't and killed him with 15 seconds to spare on the second tanks timer. Albeit I do believe the tank timer is 1 minute in 10 man.
Steelbreaker is MUCH more demanding in 25 than in 10. I managed to 1-shot the 10 man kill with a pug that was mostly formed through the trade channel.

Something that Cider doesn't mention in his video is JoL, it's very useful for fights like this one.

Kavaren
07-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Slightly off-topic here, but I was wondering how your gemming was going Cider...even with DR and all.

Libertarian
07-10-2009, 07:35 AM
What I don't understand is why you guys don't leave runemaster up for phase2, stop dps low, and wait for a blue rune?

Meloree
07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
What I don't understand is why you guys don't leave runemaster up for phase2, stop dps low, and wait for a blue rune?

We've tried it that way and found it both less stable and less repeatable. While it works, you have to stop, and wait for a good setup, sometimes for a good long while. All the time you're waiting you're draining healer mana, and risking "bad luck" wipes. If your dps can't cleanly meet the requirements for Molgeim first, it can buy you a little extra, but doing it in 4 phases isn't too hard on dps, and doing it in 3 isn't really asking a lot from a geared raid.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

fr0d0b0ls0n
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Flask of Petrification works on Iron Council?

Have been said that the tank doesn't heal the boss. Is considered an exploit?

Meloree
07-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Flask of Petrification works on Iron Council?

No.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

Myko
07-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Why does the ranged soaker with Static Disruption run into the raid after being debuffed?

mymF.Mirex
07-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Theres another thing you can do if you dont have 2 geared tanks and which is extremely powerful in the 10 man version:
As soon as you have killed both Brundir and Molgeim (we kill Molgem 2nd to get a blue rune), have a Moonkin switch to feral = bear. Then use "Barkskin", eventually get another external CD and taunt Steelbraker. You will get the "Meltdown"-Debuff and will hopefully survive this due to your higher HP and the use of Cooldowns.
The Maintank needs to taunt immidiately after this (if this fails your attempt is mostly over at this point) and there you go:

NO dead Tank after 60 seconds, healers dont need to switch targets, no CDs used till 60 seconds.
An extremely powerful Druid, as standing in the rune (50% more dmg), having the Meltdown (200% more dmg) and Bloodlust/Heroism ---> 16k DPS or even more.

This way we managed to kill him in 57 seconds with 2 Tanks, 2 Healers and 6 DDs, even though it took us like 20 tries because Phase 2 with both Steelbraker and Molgeim alive means heavy damage is dealt to your entire raid.

EDIT: A disc-priest is a must-have in this fight.

Tanksforus
07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
We did it no disc priest, Holy priest, druid and shaman healing.

!st tank get buff run away when 5secs left next tank taunt.
Battle res 1st tank, buff 1st tank, second tank run when 5secs left on buff.and 1st tank taunt. = Win . Make sure that the Punch spell is dispelled as quickly as possible becouse it hits for like 15-20k per .05 seconds

But u dont need extra people to get the buff, we did it just over 1min 10seconds

Mahntor
07-15-2009, 12:50 AM
We did it in 10 man's by killing molgeim first, then a mage goes and gets decent aggro on steelbreaker, after Brundir dies, we wait for 1st tank to die, then make sure the mage stays at max range and 2nd on aggro, he then gets the meltdown and 2nd tank needs to taunt asap. Made it very easy.

Shindig
07-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey Cider, just wondering what the music is called you used for the video :) want to use it in a video of mine.

Ferim
07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
My guild is having alot of trouble doing this hard-mode in 25-man. It seems like RNG is against us, because we've had a hunter, get static disruption and then the other 2 debuffs all at the same time. Currently we have 2 holy pallies, and 1 ret paladin in our 25-man, is it really THAT important to have 2 ret paladins, we can never seem to get both of them on at the same time.

Roknroll
07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
We did it last night (2nd night of solid attempts) using the general strategy posted here. World of Logs report is linked below. Our raid comp was:
2 Tanks (druid and DK)
6 healers (2x shaman, paladin, druid, disc priest, holy priest)
6 melee (2x DK, 2x rogue, retadin, warrior
11 ranged (3x warlock, 2x mage, spriest, 3x boomkin, elem sham)
That comp is far from optimal, it's just what we had. Our enh shaman DC'd for the night so one DK had to get improved icy talons which dropped his dps for that fight. Also having 3 boomkins was far from optimal DPS.

The first key to this fight is the transitions and set ups to just get into phase 3. We first gave this a try weeks ago with no real plan, and bad positioning in phase 2 constantly wiped the raid with Static Disruption. We killed Runemaster first, and when he's at 10% we hold off and wait for an overload. Once that goes off, they are positioned together and everyone stacks in Steel's melee hitbox next to Stormcaller. We used 3 soakers (spriests are the best, otherwise warlocks) so they got out at range. Make sure they don't stand behind the Steelbreaker tank (for when he runs out), and make sure they don't stand too far out that they don't get healed.

Our phase 3 strategy was to use 2 soulstones or 2 battle rezzes (1 per tank) to give us 4 tank phases. The first night of attempts we had 3 tanks and 7 healers, and our dps was nowhere close to enough, while tank/raid healing didn't seem to be a problem. We figured that even with dropping a tank and a healer for 2 more dps, we still would need 4 tank phases. To kill him in 3 tank phases the raid needs 126k dps, and to do it in 4 the raid needs 108k dps.

With everyone stacking (melee at steel's back and ranged standing on the steel tank), keeping the raid and tank up was no problem. We never had tanks coming close to dying until the 3rd one. Both shamans just spammed chain heal on the tank, which would keep melee and ranged up. Judgement of light also covered about 30%-50% of the melee healing. I was the holy paladin and non-stop HL spam on the tank put out amazing AoE healing with Glyph of Holy Light. The glyph heal accounted for over 50% of my effective healing, which is huge considering how much damage i'm healing the tank for.

After the first night, we found out there were 2 things preventing us from sucess. First was that we didn't have enough DPS even if everyone survived. That's when we dropped a tank and healer and picked up 2 more dps (roughly a 10% raid dps increase). Second, we really struggled to keep the Static Charged soakers alive during the 3rd tank (and never made it with all of them into the 4th tank). After the 2nd tank dies, there will be 2 people at all times taking 9k-10k evey 3 seconds (after resistance) from the nature aura and Static Disruption will hit for12k when applied.

We saved all our big cooldowns for the transition into the 4th tank and then the duration of the 4th tank. Since we only had two tanks, our druid went first and didn't use any cooldowns (doesn't need them). The DK went 2nd and used IBF just before his taunt, and then AMS on the first Fusion Punch. Both of those are on short timers so they would be back up when he tanks in phase 4. It's also important that your tanks don't resurrect during high damage times. Have them watch for ticks of nature aoe dmg and res just after one. Also, rezzing a couple seconds after Fusion Punch goes out is helpful.

Once the 2nd tank died, we had 2 dedicated healers for the soakers (disc and holy priest). Still didn't use any raid cooldowns for the 3rd tank phase. Just before the taunt into the 4th tank, we popped bubble and divine sacrifice. When a second before that wore off the ret paladin popped his bubble and divine sacrifice. The DK was also using his own cooldowns, and he got pain supression. The 20 seconds of divine sacrifice were absolutely key to have in phase 4, otherwise our soakers would have died instantly. During the 4th tank, they took 14k-15k from Static Disruption when it was cast, and 9k-12k from High Voltage every 3 seconds.

[20:04:27.187] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) Static Disruption (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63494/?s=2741&e=2861) Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) 14259 (R: 3675)
[20:04:27.187] Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) afflicted by Static Disruption (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63494/?s=2741&e=2861) from Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861)
[20:04:28.328] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) High Voltage (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63526/?s=2741&e=2861) Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) 4650 (A: 7381, R: 788)
[20:04:31.343] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) High Voltage (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63526/?s=2741&e=2861) Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) 12031 (R: 788)
[20:04:34.390] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) High Voltage (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63526/?s=2741&e=2861) Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) 9470 (A: 2561, R: 788)
[20:04:35.593] Priscylla (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/18/?s=2741&e=2861)'s Static Disruption (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63494/?s=2741&e=2861) fades
[20:04:37.187] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) High Voltage (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63526/?s=2741&e=2861) Esmèralda (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/8/?s=2741&e=2861) 12031 (R: 788)
[20:04:37.906] Steelbreaker (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/35/?s=2741&e=2861) Static Disruption (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/spell/63494/?s=2741&e=2861) Jimbogankedu (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/details/4/?s=2741&e=2861) 14259 (R: 3675)We ended up with about 109k raid dps for all of phase 3, and killed him with 7 seconds to spare. Oh, one other thing, we always blew heroism as soon as the first tank got Overwhelming Power. On our kill, we decided to use heroism as soon after the 2nd tank rez (start of the 3rd tank phase). No reason not to do that, since one person dying is a wipe anyway and it gives heroism during the execute phase. It's also a huge healing boost when you need it the most.

World of Logs
Entire Fight (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/sum/damageDone/?s=2494&e=2860)
Phase 3 Only (http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-CgkmP4IcENhD7t3H/sum/damageDone/?s=2741&e=2861)

Keys to this fight:
1. Get a good transition/positioning going from phase 1->2 and from 2->3
2. Amazing raid dps (110k for 4 tank phases)
3. Keep the Static Disruption soakers alive during the 3rd and 4th tank phases.

Cathleen
07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
We do this in 10 man in such a way as to explode Steelbreaker once we are on him. We kill the little guy first, once he is down we have our highest DPS (in our case a rogue) start attacking Steelbreaker to build some agro along with the tank. Once Runemaster dies, everyone on Steelbreaker and the fun begins. I’m a paladin tank so I dispel myself through all of the fusion punches, just a side note. You get 1 minute from the time you get the de-buff until you blow up. At about 5-10 seconds I back Steelbreaker away from the group and let him kill me (or the de-buff kills me, doesn’t matter). Since that rogue was building agro that whole time, he gets initial agro upon my death (therefore getting the de-buff making him do ridiculous damage). Then our 2nd tank taunts off of the rogue and they go at it. Steelbreaker usually dies within about 35-45 seconds after the 2nd tank has agro with 2 people doing 200% increased damage. Since both the tank and DPS have the de-buff, having the tank hold the boss isn’t a problem because he is doing the increased threat needed.

It has got to the point where my guilds 10 man 1 shot this every week. If you can pull off the precision of taunting at the right time so 2 people have that de-buff, Steel just explodes and you don’t have to worry about the tank dying before the boss. Once that DPS has the de-buff, he does around 12k+ DPS consistently.

Bada boom, bada bing, Bettie Boop.

holyjebus
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
excellent work, great video. thanks again TS !

Libertarian
07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Would it be viable to have a hunter distracting shot, take buff, feign death at the start of phase3? When the buff is about to go off on the hunter and first tank, the hunter could aim shot the boss to reduce the healing affects. Personally we have no issues with our current way of doing it in 10 man even with no shaman bloodlust (leave runemaster up until he drops a blue circle), but this could be helpful to people who are just learning the boss.

Roknroll
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Steelbreaker doesn't put the debuff on the tank until about 13-15 seconds into phase 3, so having the hunter Distracting Shot right off the bat probably won't help. What you can do, though, is have a single ranged dps just dps on Steelbreaker for all of phase 2 so he's 2nd on threat. You don't want him dying too early, so 5 seconds before the first tank dies, the 2nd tank taunts and gets the debuff. When the 2nd tank is about to die, no one taunts and Steel will aggro/buff that ranged DPS who was 2nd on threat. The 3rd tank will need to immediately taunt.

The tricky part about this is that when the 2nd tank is going to die, he can't run way off because Steelbreaker will continue to follow him and if the raid's grouped up they'll all get owned by Static Disruption. The tank blowing up is only a 15 yard radius, so everyone can actually get to Steel's back hit box and let the tank blow up in front of Steel.

Mookey
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
First - people please refrain from commenting from 10 man experience. It's by far different fight. In 10 man it's a breeze walktrough while in 25 it's serious check for all 3 aspects of the raid.

My raid is atm wiping on 3rd tank death. And we are slowly improving... thanks for the video, gave us some nice hints.

Simple question: Otherwise then counting I'm not seeing Auracle part for Overwhelming power. I found out how much important is proper timing of tank switches. Our raid is doing 100Kdps on Steelbreaker which means that each second lost is 1% of his hp more or less. We started first with 10sec switch then we went down to 7 that leaves some room for error also, 5 is prolly best with clean tank switches, also we tried several times intervening totems for gaining 3 sec more dps, however I would love to see what's of all these best experience in switching.

Roknroll
08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
We do the tank switch at 5 seconds. The blow-up radius is only 15 yards, so the tank does not have to run very far to get clear from the raid. What I've found is:

Phase 3 starts
15 seconds he puts up the first overwhelming power
25 seconds later the tank needs to taunt
25 seconds later the next tank taunts
25 seconds later the final tank (if needed) taunts
That adds up to having to kill steelbreaker in 95 seconds if you can get it done with 3 tanks phases. If you go to the 4th tank phase you have 120 seconds to kill him. He's got 10M health and heals 1M every time a tank dies. So doing it in 3 tanks means 12M damage over 95 seconds (126k raid dps). Doing it in 4 tanks means 13M damage in 120 seconds (108k raid dps).

Taunting at 7 seconds (compared to 5) means the entire raid needs to do 5% more damage which is pretty big. We did it with 2 tanks (each got SS or brezed) and planned on 4 tank phases with each tank going twice. With good raid positioning and a good healer mix, you can easily 6-heal it. Having the entire raid except for 3 soakers stacked up on Steelbreaker makes AoE healing very efficient.

Since no one other than the tanks can die, there's not much point in blowing heroism right away. It's best to use it when Steelbreaker's under 40% to maximize dps during execute range. Also, healing is the most difficult late in the fight, so heroism will greatly help healing if used later. For your first kill, you'll probably need 4 tank phases. We popped it during the 3rd tank phase, just after the dead tank resses. That gives both tanks heroism, and they will do a great deal of damage with the overwhelming power debuff.

Roarc
08-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Note that this event has been nerfed as for patch 3.2:

The overwhelming debuff has been increased to 35s from 30s in patch 3.2. This effectively gives you anywhere between 15 and 20 seconds more in Phase 3 with 2 or 3 tank-switches.
For our guild this means a certain kill every week now, where we before where cutting it 5-7 seconds short sometimes depending on DPS.

As for tank-rotations this is very important to maximize your dps output. We use "time remaining on overwhelming power" to manage this

- 5s MT1 stops to generate threat
- 4s MT2 taunts Steelbreaker
- 3s MT1 runs off, explodes outside of raid

This maximizes everything very well. 3 seconds is enough to run away safely. It's also important to STOP generating threat before the 2:nd tank takes over since you're doing insane TPS in this fight and a lucky crit will bring the boss back to you.

higinia
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a question for Cider, what action bar addon are you using? And what is that black bar at the bottom of your screen?

Sinister Knight
08-21-2009, 10:57 AM
You'll have to pardon my ignorance on a certain part to the strategy re: Divine Sacrifice/Taunt/Salv for ret paladins. Would you please explain the exact process and exactly when to do it? I'm not sure if the intent is that you do the Divine Shield/Divine Sacrifice Combo, or just use Div. Sac. before you taunt. I'd like to try this strategy out being the Primary Ret Paladin in our guild but I don't want to mess it up. :) Thanks very much.

Kyo Nanashi
09-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I have a question regarding the this encounter. Is it possible just to dps each of the bosses down to 10% before starting to kill them off one by one, or do they heal back to full health once one of them is dead. I have never seen if anyone has tried to kill them this way. Either way I will find out in few hours when I have a raid but I would like some heads up in case that they do heal to full if one of them is dead.

tuffmuffin
09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a question regarding the this encounter. Is it possible just to dps each of the bosses down to 10% before starting to kill them off one by one, or do they heal back to full health once one of them is dead. I have never seen if anyone has tried to kill them this way. Either way I will find out in few hours when I have a raid but I would like some heads up in case that they do heal to full if one of them is dead.
This has been covered numerous times in a few threads. It's also stated in most strats across the web. When one dies, the other two heal to full.

Keleher
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Will steelbreaker aply the meltdown aura right away or do the off get a sec or somthing without the debuff,???

and what is the dps cap for the 10man version of this???

Vetrosian
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Will steelbreaker aply the meltdown aura right away or do the off get a sec or somthing without the debuff,???

and what is the dps cap for the 10man version of this???

Not sure about the meltdown debuff, didn't ask our tanks about it although from what I've seen there seems to be a slight delay for him applying it.
As for dps, there is no cap, the more you can bring, the faster he goes down, you'll need around 3.7k dps average from your dps assuming you bring 5, with our first kill we flasked up and managed around 4k+ from everyone. Assuming you don't overgear it your dps will need to push themselves, and your healers may find phase 2 a strain.

Roknroll
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Steelbreaker waits about 13-15 seconds before he applies the meltdown debuff.

Zorzil
09-30-2009, 03:03 AM
First off, awesome video! My guild has been hesitant to approach 25-man hard modes for a long time and have needed some considerable encouragement to try it. Having such clear video guides available was a huge plus in getting momentum and we're now 2 hard modes down in one week.

Just a small thing I found regarding this one; I was raid leading our Steelbreaker kill last night and I opted to use the raid positioning shown in this video for after Runemaster Molgeim died.

I was tanking Brundir himself to start with (we took 3 tanks) and me and our Death Knight tank who had Steelbreaker aimed to get them next to each other in the general middle of the room whilst the raid was working on Molgeim. The DK had no problem with Steelbreaker, but Brundir outright refused to stay still and I've never seen that before on our normal kills.

In every one of our six attempts including the kill, Brundir kept going for a wander without warning. This was both during me setting the positioning up and when the raid was killing Brundir. I know I hadn't lost aggro because he'd come straight back to me if someone silenced him, but it was just bizarre watching him run off about 10 yards in a random direction for no apparent reason, bearing in mind I hadn't actually moved so I wasn't inside his hitbox nor had I made the server think I was going somewhere.

Is this a feature of the hard mode or was it some random bug?

Lowarrk
10-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey, im new to tanking in Ulduar.. So i was wondering if there was a movie to kill Iron Council tehe normal way? Thanks

Gravy
10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey, im new to tanking in Ulduar.. So i was wondering if there was a movie to the way to kill Iron Council? Thanks

This is the Hard Mode Thread as you can tell, the normal mode thread is here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/48856-ulduar-iron-council.html

keebz
11-04-2009, 11:58 PM
How often does Steelbreaker cast Fusion Punch? Can a DK tank AMS through every single Fusion Punch on 10man hard mode?

Kazeyonoma
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
No. He casts fusion punch often enough that even chaining cooldowns, there will be moments where you will eat a full fusion punch.

gartren19
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Even when steelbreaker is being tanked in p3, since its so easy now, is it possible to have 2-3 pally heals with 3 raid healers? I watched the video and i was wondering if its been downsized now since the patches and the new raids?