PDA

View Full Version : Dual Spec Tank

telephus
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been thinking about how to spec two types of tanking with my DK, I was wondering if anyone saw an advantage to speccing Frost for the AoE appeals, and possibly Blood for the high single target TpS. I could use the same gear both spec's and be way more effective depending on the encounter. Or would that just be a stupid thing to do? Any blood talent tank spec tree links would be helpful if it turns out this isn't just a bad idea.

Kerrath
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, go ahead. That being said, I'd probably be iffy about it, it's not really necessary to have two tank specs and you can probably put the second spec to more varied gameplay--maybe a DPS spec for fights where less tanks are needed--flexibility is awesome in a raider--or a PvP spec for fun.

telephus
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't really pvp, and I'm trying to be more flexible mostly for Ulduar encounters. It seems like place where you really need people dual specced so that you can get 3 tanks for one fight and then in another you only need 2. If I can dual spec tanking maybe it will mean less swapping for my other guild members? I don't know I'm just flyin' by the seat of my pants at this point.

vine
07-04-2009, 03:00 AM
This is exactly what I do, Frost spec for AoE trash pulls, and Blood for single target boss fights. The thing is, I only ever use the Frost spec when doing 5-man's or an eclectic Naxx run for guild alts. Ulduar has negligible trash, Freya's and Mimiron's are the only trash where you might need the AoE, even then it's not an issue. I could reassign my Frost spec to dps, but I do bucket-loads anyway in dps gear and usually come in the top 4.

Blood is definitely my favourite tree and I love the mechanics of it, but I like being able to switch to Frost and chain-pull through 5-mans with my brain turned off, doing them in Blood I have to pay a little more attention to rotation rather than just spam HB :)