PDA

View Full Version : Druid tank...using dps items?

skimedman
06-30-2009, 07:54 AM
So i am building up my druid tank equipment.
My question is, do i take the items that are high agi with a bit of stam such as the dps items and necklecess and rings? or am i supposed to be using the str stam items that dont help with crit for mitigation and generally have the same or less amount of dodge then the items with high agi? I am ery confused and my guild really wants me gearing up for higher raids but i dont know what to be looking at....any help would be appreciated. Thank you

~Clambake

NotSerious
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
The big reason to stack AGI as a tank is for the dodge it provides - SD is relatively weak against big hitting bosses so the crit bonus provided by AGI just isn't that big a deal from a tanking perspective.

For that reason, I think the consensus (and I recognize that declaring consensus on forums is a risky thing) would be that, generally, it is not worth sacrificing stam on gear for better agility (I am talking about gear itemization, not gemming or enchanting). Furthermore, a lot of those rings, necks and cloaks that have STR and STAM are tanking items and they'll have defense and dodge. Keep in mind that defense provides a little bit of dodge, and also a little bit of base miss chance. dodge, obviously, provides dodge. therefore, if a STR and STAM item gives you enough avoidance (between dodge and defense) to make up for the lost AGI it is certainly a viable upgrade. (Be careful about rolling on gear with parry and block though - other tanks in your raid may get upset if they see you rolling on gear they would get more benefit from.

This is also a place where a little planning ahead is a good idea - sites like RAWR (I'm sure this community can recommend others as well) can help you generate a list of 'top 5 BiS' for your class and role - keep that list aorund when you raid and some decisions will be easier. Also, a little research before a specific raid to see what the planned bosses drop can give you chance to actually go and plug that item in to RAWR and see how it compares to what you currently have. Finally, I can't remember for sure (it's been a while since I installed it) but I think the addon RatingsBuster will give you feedback on how a new item will change your stats.

skimedman
06-30-2009, 08:22 AM
ok so basically, i am looking to see if the defense+dodge on the item is better than the dodge from agi on a dps item. So for starters ...the titanium impact band...im guessing is a decent ring as i can put agi in the socket to even up its dodge, and same with the neck? Now is there a conversion for defense>dodge?

Alanium
06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Druid tanks should still use the same trinkets, rings, cloaks, and neck pieces as other tanks. The str still gives AP. And you'll generally get more dodge from dodge rating than agi (40 dodge rating=1% dodge=88agi). I also always look at items with useless stats as if they didn't have the stat, because it still may be very useful. Take Signet of Winter for example......

Signet of Winter - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45874)

The parry is useless, but everything else about it makes it awesome for druid tanks. If it were a even roll system, in no way would I consider a tank that uses parry to get the item over another because they don't. Basically use your discrestion there.

Viridios
07-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure what the consensus of Tankspot is on Elitist Jerks, but I've always found them to be quite useful. There's a thread [with addon] over there called FeralByNight; the thread lists approximate values for gear. Obviously, gear needs change as you gear up; hit and expertise are useless past cap, and from what I have read defense vs dodge changes as you get higher [around 40% 1 def rating provides more avoidance than 1 dodge rating, due to DR].

Edit: Oh yeah, and yes, we will take the Royal Seal of Llane, despite it being on use/parry. The stam is that good.