PDA

View Full Version : DPS while tanking help

Borstad
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I deal terrible dps while tanking (about 1k-1.2k) while other tanks i see are getting way above that (1.4k-1.6k) how can I improve my dps while I am tanking so lower geared tanks don't seem like a better choice than compared to me.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Undermine&n=Borstad)
Also, how am I doing gear wise. Thank you in advance.

Dubzil
06-29-2009, 02:34 PM
A tank is not picked by his ability to DPS.

Warrior tanks are known for their low DPS numbers while tanking. We are not chosen to tank because we cannot out-dps a druid or DK tank.

Gear looks fine.

Borstad
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Why do warriors have such low dps while tanking?

Tarigar
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
That was kinda the way we were designed back in the days of yore. Shoot I remember when revenge critted for 75 and that was high damage right there.

Borstad
06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Blizzard really needs to work on that then because some people gauge tanks gear on dps which I feel is unfair.

Tarigar
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Good Dps will make up for a tanks lack of dps. In my dps gear I get out dps'd by dk's pallies, and druids(especially laserbirds). So my guild would rather have me tank since there is an overall dps increase to have the others switch.

minrog
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
If I had to choose between two tanks and one of them can do 2,500 dps and the other one can do 1,200 dps I'm picking the 2500. They aren't different enough anymore that I'm going to purposefully lose 1300 raid DPS just for fun; the threat on the 1200 dps tank is also gong to be way lower and risk threat capping the DPS.

If it hadn't been for Sunder Armor you'd have seen this happen a year ago in Sunwell. Druids outputting 1500 DPS while tanking and Warriors at like 800, on tight enrage timers.

If you don't apply standards to your raid as far as being good players or doing good DPS then it doesn't really matter either way. If you are picking your DPS guys based on how well they perform then eventually you're going to be sorting the tanks the same way. In Wotlk tanking = DPS.

That said, I haven't had much trouble with DPS as a Warrior tank. If the difference between the tanks is negligable, like 400 ish, it's worth having the Warrior tank for easy Sunders. If you have a good Fury Warrior they have enough GCD's to keep Sunders on the mob.

Make sure you are using Heroic Strike every time your rage goes above 40 or 50 and that you are queueing it up while you are hitting other attacks. On a boss you should be doing an attack every 1.5 seconds + Heroic Striking at the same time. The main thing about Warrior tanks is they have to spam constantly to keep their DPS up.

Kalaazar
07-01-2009, 05:29 AM
First off, Im definitely a casual raider, but I like to think I do a good job with tps/dps, pulling 2.5-3k routinely on patchwerk

Pulling good DPS/TPS numbers while maintaining good survivability is what separates the good from the very good warrior tanks. Couple thoughts...

Are you utilizing heroic strike as often as you can?
Do you have a good priority list going of what abilities to use next?

In your gear, I would expect you to pull somewhere between 1400-2200 depending on the style of fight. Heroic Strike:Auto-swing ratio may be your answer...is for quite a few tanks ive tried to help on Shandris

hola_adios
07-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Honestly, if anyone (GL, RL ...) is ranking tanks on their DPS, well, get out of that guild, raid, group, conversation. As easy as that.

Prot warriors do need a bit more damage, but not much.

ndb1983
07-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, the state of warrior tanks once again. I am in Ulduar gear and about 1800dps is it on a single target with rage. 14-1500 is more the norm. It doesn't seem like our dps scaled very well. Blizz is doing a couple of things on the patch which should make it more consistent, but we have a pally tank doing over 3k Main tanking a fight like XT.......................argh

How in tarnation I get ahead on threat when we have some dps putting out 6k, I do not know.