PDA

View Full Version : Advice for tanking 25 man Ulduar

beardtank
06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
So we're starting to get into 25 man Ulduar. So far we've downed FL, Razorscale, Ignis, XT, Kologarn, Auriaya and IC. I've been mostly off-tank, but I've had the occasion to main tank all of the above aside from Ignis.

Then we get to Hodir. The two Warrior tanks usually have to switch to DPS because the raid leaders want the druid to tank. He's easier to heal and due to his better threat, avoidance, health, armor, DPS and can even AoE tank better than either of the Warriors. Note, both warriors are better geared than the Druid is (not by a ton, but still) and the Druid is a great player.

So one night the Druid can't make it and I'm the only other tank with a full frost resist setup, so I step in. Problem is, no one can keep me alive. I pop a cooldown and/or trinket on every frozen blows (seems to come every 60 seconds, so it's manageable with 2 min SW and LS). I feel like I'm well geared - I have a little more than 41k health raid buffed.

Can someone look at my armory and give me some advice? Do I need to just stack Dodge and stam?

Thanks!

Edit: Just noticed on the Armory I logged out in odd gear. I usually tank with the Valorous Dreadnaught Hands, which are gemmed and enchanted for expertise and bring my Expertise to 26. I also usually wear a Lavinthor's Talisman (for threat) and a Monarch Crab gemmed for stam.

Churles
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I would not say our stats are terribly different and I tank him just fine on 25 and have never worn frost resist.

My suggestions would be to use your 4 piece T8 bonus for frozen blows if you have it and to replace trinkets with essence of gossamer and the crab as the stamina will help you the most.

Besides that just make sure that you are jumping so as to not get high on debuff stacks and to move out of the way of falling icicles, which are both just parts of the fight you probably know about. (Doesn't hurt to remind though) And keep cycling cooldowns as you already are.

Edited trinkets, forgot you were a JC.

beardtank
06-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks. I'm hopping around, avoiding the runes and standing in the columns of light for threat. Sadly I don't have the 4pc set bonus yet. Guess there isn't anything else that can be done in our group and we'll just have to wait until the druid comes back.

So in short, stam is better than dodge, still? I know if I stack too much dodge it's going to hurt my rage generation and thereby threat, but how much is too much? Can I go as high as 30% Dodge raid buffed and not have to worry about rage starvation?

Churles
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I would not worry about rage starvation on hodir, if you are dying. Worry first about surviving, I'd say through more stam (and dodge/parry if possible) then worry about threat.

DPS can wait.