PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior Rotation?

MrArmageddon
06-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I was curious on how my rotation is compared to others.I'm looking to get max threat on boss fights and was just seeing if there is anything in my rotation,Spec,or Gear that could be changed or tweaked a little bit to help me max it out the best I can =)

My Rotation
Charge>Shield Slam when cooldown is up>Revenge whenever its up>Thunder Clap>Shockwave>Devastatex5>Heroic Strike rage dump>Repeat

I get about 3k TPS out of this but I hear of others getting much more and I wanted to know what changes I would need to make to get that.

MrArmageddon
06-29-2009, 07:29 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Undermine&n=Sy%C3%B1yster)

Is my armory for some reason mine will not work.

Meldwyn
06-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Single fight or multi's, I always Charge>Thunder Clap>spin/position them to face away/side from dps and healer>Shockwave>then SS/Rev/HS as needed always using TC and SW when they are available... if multiple, I also throw in a Cleave and a few shouts (Demo and Commanding)... oh, I do use Devastate as necessary as well, but not as much as I did at lower lvls, it is nice to proc SS though.

I am still learning myself, so feel free to provide feedback.

Cheers!

Fizzbang
06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
I tend to use Shield Slam right after my charge and then move on to the Thunderclap and Shockwave, but then again, my SS is bound in a macro that puts up Shield Block at the same time. That way, I can easily use it at the start of a fight to give healers a little time to adjust, and I remember to keep it going during the rest of the fight.

Also, if it's a group of mobs, I'll usually use Cleave as my rage-dump, instead of Heroic Strike. With the Cleave Glyph, this keeps my threat spread around and tends to keep groups focused on me pretty well. But it can still be pretty hard to keep aggro on a whole group right at the start of a fight, especially if the dps isn't pacing themselves and spread out among the group.

kingymech
06-30-2009, 04:17 AM
i do
charge, shockwave, tc, slam , rev (beserker rage) heroic strike x? (till beserker gone) devistate tillx5 (then just keep it x5) rend (keep it on) HT then back to the shockwave ect

If i see a cd rdy then ill use it but stick to rotation.

Khanor
06-30-2009, 06:09 AM
As a prot warrior, i can say sticking to any single "rotation" will cause you more headache than threat. This is simply because there are so many things happening in the first place that your going to get thrown off, then start throwing in various procs (sword and board) or things coming off cooldown that cant be rotated reliably (heroic throw/conc blow). Its MUCH better to have an idea of what abilities create the most threat, and prioritize accordingly.

1) Revenge
2) Shield Slam
3) Devestate

Those 3 can be fairly well used alone and suit you, however throw in heroic strike in high rage situations (most of the time) and your golden. This is all single target of course. For multi target, shockwave, tclap, and cleave are about all you have to fall back on, the cooldowns should make that "rotation" managable.

vonholck
06-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Well for single mobs its simply SS>revenge>deva with as many HS's your rage allows, along with this you should keep up TC and shouts.

for multible mobs its TC>shockwave>demo and then just the standard rotation while tabbing around, and using TC and shockwave on every single CD.

in adtion a nice snap agro trick for the pull is heroic throw>charge>SS.

Kerchunk
06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Well for single mobs its simply SS>revenge>deva with as many HS's your rage allows, along with this you should keep up TC and shouts.

for multible mobs its TC>shockwave>demo and then just the standard rotation while tabbing around, and using TC and shockwave on every single CD.

in adtion a nice snap agro trick for the pull is heroic throw>charge>SS.

Umm, I disagree on both accounts.

Single targets you should include Concussion Blow, Heroic Throw and Shockwave. No reason not to. They're all high damage and threat abilities.

Multiple targets, demoralizing shout is not worth the GCD unless you're really afraid of dying. The threat it generates is miniscule and will be outpaced by even the smallest heal. Charge/Throw/Shield Slam, then Thunderclap, cluster and Shockwave. After that, Cleave and tab-slam/revenge/devestate while dropping TC and Shockwave as they come off cooldown.

Save Demoralizing Shout for hard-hitting bosses when it makes a difference.

Garshek
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
If ya don't mind my asking, why not throw up a Demo shout after you have them stunned from SW? (talking AoE here) I know it's not a TON of threat but it doesn't have a limit on how many targets it affects. Obviously in a group of casters it's not going to mitigate much damage coming to you, but it should help a bit with gaining some threat right?

Is it simply that it's not worth the GCD at the beginning of the fight?

Khanor
07-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Umm, I disagree on both accounts.
Multiple targets, demoralizing shout is not worth the GCD unless you're really afraid of dying. The threat it generates is miniscule and will be outpaced by even the smallest heal.

I disagree here. The threat it generates is certainly miniscule but the reduced damage is more than worth it. Its a single global cooldown and unless you are undergeared fighting an overgeared dps for threat, you really should not have a serious enough threat issue to worry about wasting a gcd.