PDA

View Full Version : My threat is stuck to 3k, need help

Bïgfoot
06-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi,

I am MT Ulduar10 and naxx, but currently I have threat problem. I can only do around 3k - 4k TPS and sometimes 5k-6k for some seconds.

In single target, I usually pop up DnD, then HB, OB, BS, BS... Rune strike when ever possible and FS for rune dump. I have HB glypthed.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Biigfoot)

keeprock
06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm assuming your a Frost Tank. Your currently in dps gear so it's hard to judge but you say your using Howling Blast so I assume you are.

I would try Glyph of Rune Strike over Unbreakable Armor and the Rune Strike macro. Rune Strike provides a major portion of a Frost Tank's threat and I don't think manually clicking it will allow you to get the full benefit of it.

You didn't really say that threat is a problem, just that the number is a problem. I know I did 3k tps in Naxx25 on Sapph and I was double the threat of any dps. I don't know where tanks get their TPS numbers from but I wonder if the Death Knight number shows up lower than others? So if the number is the issue, but no dps is passing you on threat, I wouldn't worry about it.

After the initial pull on your rotation, I'd work in your Plague Strike to get your second disease up and keep up both diseases during the rest of your rotation. The second disease makes both your Blood Strikes and Oblit's hit 25% harder overall.

I can't see your tank gear like I said, but 26 expertise will also benefit a frost tank threat a good deal.

HootyElune
06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I am a frost tank, and have HB (for aoe threat) and FS glyph to increase single target threat.

Crit FS > runestrike for threat (and >>>> OB), so you want to spam that as much as possible. Also for me merciless combat is a must. It is also my personal preference to use DS over OB (when i have sanc buff I do not need the second rotation as I dodge parry so often), so have not put any talent into rime or anniliation. I prefer acclimation (contensious issue, but imo better for ulduar), I also go for increased strength over attack power (mainly because i think parry > AP due to flow on effect to haste)

Hopefully that helps a little.

keeprock
06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I am a frost tank, and have HB (for aoe threat) and FS glyph to increase single target threat.

Crit FS > runestrike for threat (and >>>> OB), so you want to spam that as much as possible.

A single Crit Frost Strike might beat one Rune Strike. But you can do 2 Rune Strikes for every Frost Strike (40RP FS vs 20RP RS). As well, if you are waiting to use a Killing Machine Frost Strike, you are wasting the 2 - 4 Rune Strikes you could have done before Killing Machine came up, not to mention the Runic Power because you'll be maxed out. Rune Strike is better that Frost Strike in every aspect and by the time the Killng Machine procs, you'll still have enough RP to fire off the Frost Strike.

HootyElune
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
A single Crit Frost Strike might beat one Rune Strike. But you can do 2 Rune Strikes for every Frost Strike (40RP FS vs 20RP RS). As well, if you are waiting to use a Killing Machine Frost Strike, you are wasting the 2 - 4 Rune Strikes you could have done before Killing Machine came up, not to mention the Runic Power because you'll be maxed out. Rune Strike is better that Frost Strike in every aspect and by the time the Killng Machine procs, you'll still have enough RP to fire off the Frost Strike.

Agree with Runestike, this should take a priority to use when you can...

BUT this is dependant on your auto attacks (not to mention dodge/parry). If you have a two handed weapon you cannot spam and is usually limited to 1 every 3s or so. Killing machine is a gaurenteed crit, but it still has ~10% crit normally anyway (at least on my character). If you have FS glyph it becomes 32 rp instead of 40rp making it viable to spam during the HB cooldown. I would be interested if you have found it different.

In addition if you are tanking with a pally (which I do) with the sanc buff each dodge/parry gives you additional rp meaning my rotation usually becomes HB, FS, FS ,FS, HB with runestike whenever its available and BS,PS,DND when there is not enough runic power to keep blood plague on the target.

My point was not that Runestrike isnt good, it is! my point is FS > OB and as such imo OB is a waste of a glyph.

OB to me seems like an obsolete ability for deathknights ESP after 3.2 when they have less health to play with. DS FTW

Bïgfoot
06-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Thx for all answers,

Yes I have macroed rune strike to every skill, that I usually use. So I will hit RS whenever it is available.

So I should change my UA and OB glypths to FS and RS glypths.

And yes, I dont have major threat problem as long as my guildmates doesnt do much over 3k dps. But when they get better gear, my threat would becaume a problem. That's why I wanted learn already to do around 5k TPS.

HootyElune
06-30-2009, 07:37 AM
[quote=Bïgfoot;246552]Thx for all answers,

So I should change my UA and OB glypths to FS and RS glypths.
quote]

Alot of people have different preferences in regards to glyphs. basic rule of thumb get the glyphs for the abilities you use the most.

for me that is FS, and HB. I dont use OB so dont get the glyph. I believe post 3.2 alot of people will be replacing this glyph. the 10% healing trait of DS combined with lower health will make this an obvious choice. Not to mention DPS is getting a buff so threat "should" be less of an issue.

personally the glyphs I use are HB,FS, and UA. Not that I use UA that often, but an extra 400 Absorbed per hit is very useful on boss fights (some trash pulls in Ulduar e.g Thorim trash)

SevereMojo
06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Make all your buttons activate Rune Strike

Thats all I can say...

And starting with howing blast sounds fail to me.... You could do Frost Strike, and Plaque strike.... And they get max threat because ull gain like 12.5% dmg on all ur attacks (More power per disease)

Be a unholy tank, brang me to 6k threat and 10k peaks

HootyElune
06-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Make all your buttons activate Rune Strike

Thats all I can say...

And starting with howing blast sounds fail to me.... You could do Frost Strike, and Plaque strike.... And they get max threat because ull gain like 12.5% dmg on all ur attacks (More power per disease)

Be a unholy tank, brang me to 6k threat and 10k peaks

1) Unholy AOE Tanking is getting a threat nerf post 3.2 so you will see your threat drop.

2) FS\RS both take runic power so you cannot usually start with them unless chain pulling.

3) stock standard for an AOE pull is DND, HB, BB, FS.... wait for cooldowns then start your rotations

for single target mobs you dont need DND. I would use IT, PS,BS,DS\OB\HB,BS mixing in FS and RS where you can.

minrog
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Look at the raid comp you are in and see if you are missing important buffs. Things like Blessing of Might/Kings and armor reduction like Sunder Armor on the boss. 3k sustained is a bit low in 25 man gears, that's like 1200 dps or so? Should be able to hit 2300-2400 dps with full 25 stuff if my memory is not failing me. Since DPS = threat, work on building up your DPS as long as the bosses cannot crit and the healers don't start crying. It's something you can do at a target dummy to figure out if there is a rotation issue.

Insahnity
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
<SNIP>
In addition if you are tanking with a pally (which I do) with the sanc buff each dodge/parry gives you additional rp <SNIP>

For those who haven't been here a while, they nerfed BoSanc a few patches back, it no longer gives rage or Rune power on dodge/block/parry. Only gives mana back, meaning it's only a 3% damage reduction for DKs (which, btw, does not stack with vigilence, for the people who haven't followed the intricacies of the problem).

I dunno where you are getting mystical extra RP having a tankadin buddy. Scent of Blood is your likely source.

OB to me seems like an obsolete ability for deathknights ESP after 3.2 when they have less health to play with. DS FTW

Unlikely. Yes you will gain some health but you don't have talents to make DS viable TPS unless you go blood, meaning as a Frostie tank you will be alive but your DPS/healers are dead because you lost aggro.

As a DK tank, post 3.2 you have to pull up your socks as a tank to survive AND keep up TPS, the nerf bat isn't a minor inconvenience. Personally, I feel as a druid we got the shaft with the Feral "Shield" on crit and accompanying stam/armor reductions, it still sucks, but it's the DKs turn now to get it up the hole. Tanking will actually require effort for the average-skilled DK tank, while good tanks will adjust without much comment and failsauce DK tanks will be exposed.