PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for entry raiding?

Cru
06-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Before I begin here is the link to my toon (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moon+Guard&n=Cruniac).

I'm new to tanking and I just felt I needed to clarify on whether or not my gear is enough to allow me entry for raiding and a question of stats.

I'm not sure if I need to be focusing on hit, or grabbing more health, or if I need to boost my block value up. I know expertise needs a little bit of fine tuning and I'm working on that as we speak, but the above I'm not so sure on.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Candyfloss
06-26-2009, 11:55 PM
You're def ready for Naxx10... your Def is way too high... get rid of some of your +def rating gems and throw some more stam or dodge gems in there.

Bluepepper
06-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I agree with Candyfloss on your def skill and gemming. Right now, I'd suggest just hitting the 540 def skill baseline and pulling your other key stats up (in this order: Stam, dodge, and parry) Aside from the equipment side of things how confident are you in your tanking abilities? In my opinion that's going to be a really large factor in your success as raid tank.

If you're tactics and situational awareness are sound (best tested in a safe environment: heroics) then you're fine. Heroics are safer in relationships with people, where as raids can easily and quickly turn hostile if there's an error. If you mastered all the heroics, mastering being you can run through heroics with command of what's going on (A stead tanking tempo, tight on AoE tanking, pushing your survivability in situations you'd probably die in quickly, and quick responsiveness) you're going to shine.

Something I practice all the time, when the situation is phasing into a wipe (it happens it's part of tanking) I challenge myself consistently to see how much I can push my time to live without heals. This can come in handy when healers aren't tight on their heals, and can potentially save a group. This is most noticable in pugs where some healers are learning the flow.

I understand heroics aren't "serious" like raids, but that's where you'll learn where your weaknesses as a tank are. Healers you know and tank with consistently help shield you from your mistakes (generally). Pug healers don't know your soft spots so that forces you to take an active role in refining your skills.

Gear is a necessity, but it will only get you so far. I've seen some well geared tanks of all tanking classes, better geared than me, have a difficult time in AoE and single target threat (I'm a warrior btw), difficulty with discerning the party's tempo (tempo being, the pace at which you pull and progress through an instance/encounter), and difficulty with their active survival (good positioning, necessary debuffs, quick responsiveness). Their gear is great, but their skills were lacking (at that moment).

You're an important factor in determining an encounter's success. You're not the only factor, but YOU are a critical factor. Everytime you do a 5-10-25 man go in there with your mind set on always doing better than before! Find advantages where you can as a tank and use them.

And um...yeah you're good for entry raiding just regem where you can...

WORK HARD AND TANK HARD TOO!

Cru
06-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

Yeah, I'm not wanting to raid just yet. I want to ensure I'm confident in my own abilities before taking a step further.

AoE tanking is by far the most difficult part I've had to deal with, but I'm working on it.

Well, thanks again! I did a strange feeling my defense was awfully high when I was browsing through some higher end tanks on Armory.

Cru

On a side note, is it worthwhile to try and raise my shield block at all? I know I heard something about shield block becoming the next new stat to look into for 3.2?

Martie
06-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

Yeah, I'm not wanting to raid just yet. I want to ensure I'm confident in my own abilities before taking a step further.

AoE tanking is by far the most difficult part I've had to deal with, but I'm working on it.

Well, thanks again! I did a strange feeling my defense was awfully high when I was browsing through some higher end tanks on Armory.

Cru

On a side note, is it worthwhile to try and raise my shield block at all? I know I heard something about shield block becoming the next new stat to look into for 3.2?
You'll go far with that attitude, Cru. Just don't overdo it - you learn a lot by doing difficult things.

For the time being, don't intentionally gear for shield block, but if an upgrade item has it, don't shy away from it either. It may become really good in the future, but right now it isn't.

Cru
06-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Aye.

Okay, I got one more question that I'm debating with a friend at the moment -- what is a enchant I should go with early for my weapon? Mongoose, Titanium Weapon Chain, or Titanguard?

Thanks again!

Cru

Sytillus
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
If your still useing the sword from Heroic UP I would just go with a weapon chain..the mats for goose are a bit much if you plan on going into naxx 10 soon-ish and can get the slayer from there..but thats just my point of it..if you have the money to spend then yea get the goose