PDA

View Full Version : Tank Gearing question

Viridios
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Heya everyone.

I'm a relatively new tank - I've been playing a warlock since right after BC came out with occasional fiddling with a hunter and rogue.

So far, I'm loving it. Sure, it's a bit more stressful, but it's FUN. On my lock I was just sitting there watching timers "ok, cast this.." etc.

In any case, I'm trying to gear up as fast as possible as best as possible. My guild has already used me as one of the two Kologarn tanks, so I'm doing SOMETHING right. I've been using the FeralbyNight gear lists over at Elitist Jerks.

Last night, after a mitigation failure the MT died and I tanked FLmk2 for a while [I'd been in tank gear for phase 3, the MT was tanking the bombs]. I survived relatively unscathed for a while and eventually died to a wipe. [Mimiron isn't on farm for us yet, last night was our first kill.] This leads me to believe that my survivability is reasonable. My big problem so far has been threat; people have pulled off of me, usually DK's but also a few rogues and warlocks. I do know my rotation isn't perfect; In particular, I've been screwing up Lacerate; sometimes I stack to 5 and then forget to refresh, other times I just ignore it.

My armory link is Here. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Viridios)

Four questions:

- Should I stack more mitigation/EH and just work on my rotation to get my threat up - or should I stack more threat gear and reduce my mitigation/EH slightly?

- And regarding my trinkets, is proccing the locket to hard cap expertise worth the loss of the heroism dodge trinket [I don't have the gold for the noble, though I am working on obtaining it via friend's inscription]?

- I was planning on dropping Skinning for LW soon [I like the stam mining gives me, plus my wife's main has BS/JC and needs ore], but I hate to do that with changes coming in 3.2 - is there any clue at this time which profession will come out ahead in terms of upgrades?

- Anyone have any other suggestions?

Fenier
06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
- Should I stack more mitigation/EH and just work on my rotation to get my threat up - or should I stack more threat gear and reduce my mitigation/EH slightly?

Before you give anything up, work on the rotation. Start simple then if that does not work you can do gear changes. Mangle and Faerie Fire are both very high threat gen, as well as Maul. On Single targets the rotation I use is Mangle, Faerie Fire, Lacerate all the while queuing Maul. Keeping Lacerate up and running is pretty important. You didn't quite say what your rotation was, but I'd start there.

- And regarding my trinkets, is proccing the locket to hard cap expertise worth the loss of the heroism dodge trinket [I don't have the gold for the noble, though I am working on obtaining it via friend's inscription]?

Personally I'd use Valor Medal and Essence, but that's me. I only recently replaced my Essence with a Noble's Deck but I still keep it.

I am only raiding Naxx, but your gear is slightly better then mine, and we use the same spec / glyphs.

Despite your gear being mostly raid armor and mine being heroics / pvp with only 2 raid pieces, your health isn't that much higher then mine. You want to look into a Meta Socket helm, and put an enchant on your bracer at minimum.

Viridios
06-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Before you give anything up, work on the rotation. Start simple then if that does not work you can do gear changes. Mangle and Faerie Fire are both very high threat gen, as well as Maul. On Single targets the rotation I use is Mangle, Faerie Fire, Lacerate all the while queuing Maul. Keeping Lacerate up and running is pretty important. You didn't quite say what your rotation was, but I'd start there.

Personally I'd use Valor Medal and Essence, but that's me. I only recently replaced my Essence with a Noble's Deck but I still keep it.

I am only raiding Naxx, but your gear is slightly better then mine, and we use the same spec / glyphs.

Despite your gear being mostly raid armor and mine being heroics / pvp with only 2 raid pieces, your health isn't that much higher then mine. You want to look into a Meta Socket helm, and put an enchant on your bracer at minimum.

I haven't enchanted the bracer yet because I'm looking at LW - the lining they give as BoP bonus is +50 stam. I've been on the lookout for a Meta socket helm, but none have dropped that I can use yet. Pretty much the only one I can get right now "guaranteed" is the hateful one.

My rotation is pretty much the same as yours; Mangle, FFF, Swipeor lacerate x2, maul constantly. My problem is more that on any fight that requires attention to be paid to keep from dying, I have a tendency to focus on staying alive and ignoring lacerate's timer - I'm used to playing a lock, and with the exception of Haunt clipping dots is one of the worst things you can do most of the time; as a result, I'm trained to recast based on something flashing on my tracker, and by then it's too late most of the time.

Fenier
06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Do you manually hit the Maul key, or is it macro'd like:

/cast Mangle
/cast Maul

When I am raid tanking I have a separate hotbar which auto que's Maul on every attack I do. I don't bother in 5 mans because sometimes rage can be an issue. However if your tanking you'll find that doing this is easier on your hands and results in a slightly higher maul uptime since you are no longer worried about hitting it.

It's really important to keep Lacerate up tho as the threat is fairly good but it can also proc Savage Defense on crits. Most bosses you can expect burst at given times so you can save cooldowns for when you expect them.

I'd focus on rotation more and seeing if that makes a difference. If you start dying more look at recount or your log and see why you died, if you could have avoided it by using a cooldown, then keep that in mind and work on weaving them in more. If there was no way you could have lived because the healers didn't heal you for 4-5 seconds, then it wasn't your fault and you need to take it up with them.

-Fenier