PDA

View Full Version : What Percentage?

MrJackdaw
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I am very new to tanking in a small guild - I am literally the only warrior tank at this moment. What percentage of damage should I be taking if I am doing well?

Currently I manage to take 40-50% of the damage over a full instance run (I am 71 now - so I am talking Nexus for example). Is this good or plain terrible?

And no, we don't wipe often!

Kerchunk
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
It's absolutely impossible to answer this question accurately. The percentage of total damage output you take depends on an infinite number of factors, many completely outside your control. It's also not a statistic you should focus on or even care about.

MrJackdaw
06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

How do you measure the efficiency of tanking then? It seemed to me that, as a tank, my number one purpose is to focus as much of the damage output as possible - thus the %damage seemed the best efficiency measure.

Of course, AOE attacks for instance screw this up, but it would give me a guideline.

Now, I suspect I am talking rubbish - but how else do you learn?

Martie
06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Don't focus on what % of all damage you take - it is dependant on too many factors.

See how often you lose aggro, see if your healers have a hard/easy time keeping you up, see how often your DPS dies.

MrJackdaw
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Thank you, I will mull this over!

Superspy23
06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't focus on what % of all damage you take - it is dependant on too many factors.

See how often you lose aggro, see if your healers have a hard/easy time keeping you up, see how often your DPS dies.

This is basically it. A tank needs to hold agro and survive the damage and it's a balancing act between the two for best success.