PDA

View Full Version : Taking a lot of damage in heroics.

Vetali_warrior
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey, I am currently in a mix of heroic to 25 man naxx gear in my prot set and when I go to do heroics and stuff I get random comments from my healers about how I take more damage compared to other warrior tanks. I read up a lot on warrior tanking and I have been playing this class since I got the game almost 2 years ago. I honestly don't know why I take a lot of damage when my defense is capped and my mitigation is fine for heroics.

Is it just bad healers or am I really that bad?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ysera&n=Vetali)

I might be in my DPS set right now but I logged out in my prot set so it should change in a bit.

Kurtosis
06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
You're still in your dps set and spec. Don't know much about warrior tanking, but I got similar comments my first few H runs on my DK tank. I was ~22.5k hp unbuffed (in Frost Presence), 540d, don't remember my avoidance. Problem was my hp were too low. Now I'm at about 31k ub hp, and can tank all the heroics comfortably. Fwiw.

Vetali_warrior
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't know why it wont update to my prot set, its been 3 hours since I have been on and I logged in my prot gear.

I got 29.5k health unbuffed. I have seen warriors with way less do just fine.

Edit: Armory is updated.

Karisita
06-23-2009, 06:47 AM
honestly, I've got less HP than you, a smidge less avoidance, your armor is about the same, from what I can see you should be doing just fine... what particular Heroics are you running that you're having problems in?

gabbu
06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Whoa, you have a lot of gear for heroics, when I started, I had 20k armor, 20k unbuffed health. Heroics were really not fun :( (or should I say faceroll, totally kidding)

It would help if you can tell which heroic? In some heroics mobs sunder or reduce you defense skill, pulling next pack before those debuffs wear out can make things a bit complicated.

Slow healers maybe cause but few things that would help is to make sure a mob is never behind you and use Demo shout right after the pull. Shield Blocks helps a ton in mitigation too.

Justmy 2 cents

- Gab

Vetali_warrior
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM
The last one that I died several times in was the first few pulls in DTK. I was getting out of the black stuff and spell reflecting casts but it felt like I was taking a lot of physical damage. Another heroic would be UP. That one the healers always start complaining especially those mobs with like 4 NPC's in them.

I have the shield from heroic patchwerk and the chest piece from 25 man sarth 1 drake but I really can not sacrifice the - hit and expertise.

morelore
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
As long as you're playing well and not letting mobs hit you from behind, you're fine. Your healer was probably undergeared or just bad.

Block value is exceptionally good at heroic levels of damage, you might want to get such a set and use it instead of your "regular" tanking gear.

Molohk
06-23-2009, 10:55 AM
It's kind of funny, it seems like every day we have a tank from a different class post a thread exactly like this. Do they make these comments after you die? Because most of the times, that's just the excuse a healer uses when the tank dies to avoid being blamed for a wipe.

Different tanks take different kinds of damage (some are more spikey, etc.) but it shouldn't really affect your viability in heroics. Don't let sucky healers get you down!

Vetali_warrior
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I try not to but when I look at SCT text its like "oh cool another 11k hit.. then another one." is when I start to think.

I am going to run some heroics today and I will see what happens.

Molohk
06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Just don't show your back to the enemy, remember to use shield block often, demo shout, thunder clap. And keep your big cooldowns handy, you don't have to save them for boss fights, use them also when you pull larger packs, etc.