PDA

View Full Version : BT Tanking Build

Durundal
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
So, I recently started brainstorming the idea of a BT build, and tell me what you guys think of it:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LMZhEh0x0u0xoZMItrx0zids)
Now, using some quick napkin math...

If XT-002 hits for ~20k with a 2.5 second swing timer
XT is doing ~8000 dps
If I lose 3% parry, I lose a 3/100 chance of skipping 20k damage.
Lets say we (me and my guild) normally kill him in ~4 minutes, or 240 seconds
The 3% parry would have me avoid ~60k damage.
A stam stacking warrior can reach 37.5k health, and so lets give me about 10k from buffs, leaving me at 47500 health.
Now, assuming I am glyphing for BT, I will be healing for aprox 1.5% of my health per second (6% per BT, with a cooldown of 4 seconds. IE, 1.5% per second)
1.5% of 47500 is 712.5, which leaves me healing for ~700 hps, which means I am regaining 171000 health or an advantage of ~111000 health over the parry throughout the fight.
Of course, this does not take into account for the fact that probably around 1/3 of this will be overhealing, but even with that you are looking at a huge advantage.
So losing the 3% from missing some of deflection is not that large a loss.

"But you dont have shockwave or S&B or warbringer"
Of these, the largest loss is Warbringer. This build is not meant for trash, or really anything other than taking large amounts of damage. As it goes for S&B, it is a decent loss, but I noticed a loss of only ~200-300 tps. You actually end up with a fairly large amount of burst threat from being able to chain high damage attacks fairly quickly.

So whats the point? Whats the good parts, what might make this worthless?

The point is, it provides warriors with a way to increase their survival on magic based bosses. As we all know, Warriors seem to fall into the category of "Avoidance Tanks" in that we get fairly low (if not the lowest) health, low threat, and high avoidance. And this sounds nice, except that avoidance does nothing to magical attacks, and leaves us pretty screwed on bosses that focus on large amounts of non-physical damage. The two largest issues with this build (that I am fairly sure cannot be solved in WotLK) are that you lose some avoidance, and that maintaining this kind of rotation between SS and BT requires rage... ALOT of rage. So much rage, that while keeping up the rotation is doable, you will not be able to spam HS every single hit anymore, which leads to the largest threat loss. Plus, you can't charge in combat anymore. Next week I will be testing this in 25m to see if I can get the rage from bosses that hit harder, but in my quick VoA 10 test, I couldn't spam HS (but I did stay far above the DPS in threat).

Sorry if there are any spelling errors, but lets hear some discussion.

squats
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
one thing wrong with this build..

your suggesting that this build is supposed to let you take large amounts of damage, but its built around needing an ability that is completely counter intuitive to the thoughts of the build. the points lost trying to get an ability that heals 1% of your health per attack (up to 3) every 4 seconds arnt worth the losses

basicaly your proposing a spec that gives less mitigation (parry) for an ability that heals for a non substantial amount.

not to mention improved shield wall should be a given in any "high survivability" build, and improved spell reflect isnt in the build, and that gives you 2% chance that a spell will miss you..

i dont see the point :(

Durundal
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Parry is avoidance, and only works on physical damage. Which makes it fairly useless on fights where the heavy damage is from magic.

Improved disciplines is nice, and worth speccing into, but you would have to drop Gag order or Shield Mastery, and I like gag order for the threat and shield mastery for 4 piece t8.

As far as I know, the 2% miss does not work on most spells linked to raid boss mechanics, but I may be wrong. Either way, on most of these bosses they are not constantly casting spells. One example is that you should never see more than 4 plasma bursts on mimiron, which leaves you with something like an 8% chance to avoid just one of those plasmas per attempt. Worth two talent points in a build that is already low on them? I guess thats up to you.

Also, how is 700 hps non substantial?

squats
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Parry is avoidance, and only works on physical damage. Which makes it fairly useless on fights where the heavy damage is from magic.

Improved disciplines is nice, and worth speccing into, but you would have to drop Gag order or Shield Mastery, and I like gag order for the threat and shield mastery for 4 piece t8.

As far as I know, the 2% miss does not work on most spells linked to raid boss mechanics, but I may be wrong. Either way, on most of these bosses they are not constantly casting spells. One example is that you should never see more than 4 plasma bursts on mimiron, which leaves you with something like an 8% chance to avoid just one of those plasmas per attempt. Worth two talent points in a build that is already low on them? I guess thats up to you.

Also, how is 700 hps non substantial?

parry can be classified as mitigation.. it mitigates damage by 100%

as far as i know, no, boss spells cannot miss.

is it worth it to make such a situational spec for just one ability that gives you 1% of your life back with 1 hit, up to 3 hits?

this spec wont save your life, not even close? not to mention, without tactical mastery, BT wont generate threat, not much at least.

the disadvantages of the spec outweigh having BT. heavy damage intake builds look more like this (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAZbAZVItrx0didIzoGo)

there are just to many wasted tallents in the build to get BT, maybe if it were higher on the tree it would be okay