PDA

View Full Version : DK tank getting hit too hard?

Tylecaner
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi, I have a few questions I'd like to ask some fellow DK tanks or people who know how DKs work etc. :)

Below here is my armory and my gear set up and what I currently use to pretty much tank every encounter. Also I am a blood tank. I prefered this because of the self heal while being able to put out good TPS as well.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Executus&n=Tyelcaner)

Recently a few small number of healers (1 or 2) in my guild say I am "too hard" to heal versus other tanks (i.e. warriors and pallys) but one healer said I was harder to heal than other DK tanks and I am taking way too much damage than I need to.

I feel like I have great gear and good avoidance.

With horn of winter up I have 28.17% dodge (before DR) and 20.02% parry (before DR)

Raid buffed these do go up of course by I believe 1% each but I'm not 100% certain. I have about 43k health raid buffed etc.

If the healers are complaining about me being hard to heal are they just bad healers? or am i pushing too far into diminishing returns? :confused:

I do use Sigil of Deflection which pushes me higher into dodge by about 2.6% I believe.

Also, I do use Repelling charge because it helps pushes my avoidance up higher and it also gives me dodge rating which helps IBF mechanics during those "tough times." I do have pretty much every other trinket in the game, I just choose to use this one because my healers have been complaining :(

Molohk
06-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Your gear and spec seem pretty decent. A few basics to check:

1) Are you using your cooldowns and your trinkets often, even if you don't need them? to cut some slack on your healers.

2) Are you aware on your positioning so you don't get hit from behind?

3) Did you remove the key binding for sitting down? (you never know :P)

I tend to be a bit sceptical when a healer says "this tank takes more damage than other tanks", especially when the gear/spec of the tank seems fine. Most of the times it really means "I'm not used to damage being so spikey, because you're an avoidance tank" or "I was watching TV while healing" or "because he's a DK he's tanking the whole AoE pack by himself". Tell them to suck it up and give you heals, lol.

Widdox
06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
I tend to be a bit sceptical when a healer says "this tank takes more damage than other tanks", especially when the gear/spec of the tank seems fine. Most of the times it really means "I'm not used to damage being so spikey, because you're an avoidance tank" or "I was watching TV while healing" or "because he's a DK he's tanking the whole AoE pack by himself". Tell them to suck it up and give you heals, lol.

That happened to me a lot in BC when I would do heroics like Shatterd Halls without CC. It took some time for some healers to understand that he has 8 mobs on him, he's gonna take a lot of dmg. After they got used to that they actually preferred healing me because they knew I would have all the adds.

Flipski
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
With proper trinket/ibf/vamp cd's you should be able to keep AT LEAST one of them up at all times with maybe 5-10secs in between each one. Keeping your cd's on a solid rotation will give you and your healers a lot easier time with tanking and healing. DK's are built for avoidance therefore when we do get hit it's gonna hurt, your healers should be ready for that.

Vlad
06-23-2009, 05:11 AM
DK's are actually built for absorbing dmg, they have not got any special avoidance ability beyond any other tank. Thats why they currently have more health and better CD's, what Flipski said about trinkets etc is pretty muych what you need to be doing.
Your avoidance is already very good unbuffed, I think healers tend to nod off a bit if you get a few dodges and parrys going.. then all of a sudden RNG fails you for a few swings and they get a shock at how hard you get hit, start casting a big heal and you get really low HP before they recover. Then their feedback is "oh your hard to heal".. which is kinda true since the size of the blows you take (I'm only talking Ulduar 25 sized hits) has increased by a reasonable amount in the last few weeks.

Of course your ability to absorb dmg will go out the window (it's already got one leg out after the armour nerf) if 3.2 goes through so your really gonna need those two trickets you currently have.
One way around it is get a pally to mindlessly spam you irregardless of your health.