PDA

View Full Version : Fury: Str > ArP, is it really the way to go?

godded
06-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Dear Tankspot community,

This is I think my first post here, I have been an observer since the early LK days but now I need to ask a question that really has been eating my brain for the last week(s).

I recently acquired a Mjolnir Runestone (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45931) and since the time have been thinking of regemming to hit the ArP softcap to get 100% ArP when Mjolnir procs.

So I checked landsoul's DPS spreadsheet (which i trust most) and it told me I would loose dps in a raid environment, then i checked rawr and it showed me i would benefit as soon as i go over 400 ArP rating, finally i checked maxdps (just out of curiosity) and found that even below 400 gemmin ArP should increase my DPS.

So now I took heart and used freaking 10 scarlet rubies and 3 dragon's eyes and regemmed to soft cap.

I ran a few tests on heroic target dummies.

With pure STR gemming I had the following values in ~6 minute tests:

3102 DPS
3169 DPS
3144 DPS

after regemming to ArP soft cap:

3299 DPS
3402 DPS
3342 DPS

Now i ofc also tried if the change becomes less significant with BoK and other raid buffs, so I gave it a shot at Ulduar 10, XT-002 hard mode.
I was leading the meter until I eventually died on a Thantrum approx 45 seconds before the end of the fight with 6002 DPS which is more than I used to do on weeks before.

My question to the community is why so many people claim that STR is superior to ArP for fury wars and how this phenomena is explainable?

And please no answers like "strength is better the numbers don't lie".
I have been studying ArP and how it works and still it is a mystery to me in some ways, but damn I love it now.

Here is my spec and gear. (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dentarg&n=gorkana)

Dragaan
06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Landsoul's sheet shows me gaining DPS by gearing for ArP over Str up to about 46% when an ArP trinket is equipped. After about 46% ArP, it shows strength winning. The numbers are a bit different if you do not have an ArP trinket.

Lizana
06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Arp can give more dps, once you do acquire a Arp trinket. Now keep in mind your dps will only be greater than str geming while the trinket is proced. But a lot of it is dependent on the rest of your gear, as you start approaching BIS level gear Arp had the capability of giving greater returns for burst dps while you have the trinket proced.

godded
06-23-2009, 01:57 AM
so u think I gained DPS because I time my cooldowns with the mjolnir procs? Which ofc I do, as 665 ArP > 300 Str proc. Also Mjolnir procs pretty reliable ever 55-65 seconds for me so every second DW is already precasted to be up while the proc is about to happen. 1 or 2 berzerking procs being up is ofc also nice to have.