PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Aoe Tanking

Epicopter
06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I need help with how I can be a better aoe tank as a warrior, I can generally tank all aoe pulls in heroics fine but I was a off tank for the first time in Naxx25 last night and the issue seems to be more and more pressing. I struggled on Gothik and I had to tank the adds on gluth which I struggled with both but did a decent job. I'm completely fine with single target tanking and that is not a problem at all.

What I generally try and do is charge, thunderclap, demo shout, shock wave and try and tab target which is quite difficult with a large group of mobs. I'm pretty worried about going into ulduar and having to tank the adds on the Razorscale fight or tanking adds on emalon and encounters like that.

vonholck
06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
well there is not alot of other options as a warrior, although you should try to switch demo and shockwave so you use your first two CDs on the most threat possible (TC and shockwave), oh and ofc make sure that all the mobs are in front of you when using wave, after that just spam cleave and TC on every CD along with a more or less normal rotation while tabbing. atleast thats what i do :)

However warrior aoe tanking is weak, especially if you dont get to run in before the other tanks, but aslong as the threat goes to other tanks and not dps/healers its not a problem, just let them have their fun :)

Lukelee
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Spam Cleave when TC or SW are down - works well if glyph of sunder and cleave.

Also try, 2 warrior tanks Vigilance one another and lol taunt spam.

Valalvax
06-22-2009, 06:33 AM
I've never tanked Gluth's adds, tried it once on my mage and it was... rough... really the best class to do that is the DK

Bluepepper
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Just wondering how many tanks did you have when you ran naxx25? Two tanks for Naxx25 is doable, Three is golden because it helps relieve some AoE tanking pressure. You can be alittle bit looser on your AoEs with 2 tanks backing you up. If you're running with one other tank than I'd suggest that you be at your best or extremely attentive.

If you're not MTing Naxx 25 one solution I've found when OTing is not being in the front line with the MT and just hanging back alittle bit so I have room to charge. Conversely, you could switch spots with the MT and be in the front lines and do the pulling so you can attain inital aggro.

Also when tanking groups larger than four mobs, you have to move around a bit in order to not get surrounded. Time your Thunderclaps well, it's your money maker along with Shockwave. Thunderclap is more of the maintence (6 second threat burst constant if you're tight on your rotation, thus helping you maintain threat) AoE threat and Shockwave is more of a Control (Lockdown stun which help your cluster and reposition as needed) AoE due to it's ability to stun. Cleave falls into the maintence category and is helpful when AoE tanking, but if you can tab-target well a shield slam/revenge/concussive blow rotation you'll notice your mob control improve.

Razorscale
This encounters biggest factor initally is getting rage and not being rage starved as the encounter progresses. One you get a good clean Charge-to-Thunderclap on the first spawns you should be fine prior to the kiting phase of Razorscale. Make sure you and the other tank are positioned intelligently during the encounter so that each tank has a sphere of influence. Get that first charge off and TC, DS, and SW away. The goal here is to have aggro not necessarily a large threat lead.

Emalon
Opening phase of the fight if you're tanking these adds is about attaining inital aggro and seperating the adds from Emalon. You don't really want to charge in, per se, too far ahead of your healers because this could lead to quick death and wipe following afterwards. Pop blood rage and wait till you have sufficent enough rage to Pop a demo shout (or commanding shout = ) run in. That should give you enough threat to gain inital aggro, and at the same time not be so much threat such that the person tanking Emalon has to get some heafty snap threat in order to pull him off you if aren't tight on your tank coordination. If you're confident in your healers and your ability to stay in range you could charge in, but remember the potential risk.

Mob selection is another key factor also. When you come to a group of 3+ mobs do you charge mobs on the outside edge of the formation or the mob(s) in the middle? If you're charging a group of mobs at their outside edges you're cutting down the AoE range of your Thunderclap in half at best. This selection of targets can leave some loose adds around forcing you to taunt or find some other means of reestablishing/establishing control.

corny graphic 1:
O-O<-O->

The "O" is the mob
The "-" is the space between the mobs
The "<-->" is the AoE range of your Thunderclap
As you can see a good chunk of the AoE isn't hitting one of the mobs

Now, if you choose the mob(s) in the middle of the group you'll help maximize the range of your Thunderclap and that'll increase the chance you're going to capture as many mobs as possible.

corny graphic 2:
O<-O->O

As you can see in corny graphic #2, if you choose the middle of the pack, you maximize the potential of your thunderclap. (i.e., increasing the amount of mobs you can hit with thunderclap). Be careful, and don't overwhelm yourself. Practice Practice Practice Practice!!! An excellent area to test your AoE tanking abilities is: 1. Entrance of Heroic Utguarde Keep 2. Tribunal fight in Halls of Stone. If you can AoE tank the tribunals fight in Halls of Stone effectively as a warrior tank you should be able to AoE tank anything.

Epicopter
06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Well I off tanked Emalon 10 today and all was good, I'm still worried about when people are actually dpsing the mobs but I guess I just need more practice.

Spazlord
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
To hold against AoE DPS, be sure to Tab-target a lot. Tab Shield Slam, Tab Revenge, Tab Devastate, Thunderclap on cooldown, Shockwave on cooldown and queue Cleave on every swing. Spell Reflect is a winner if you have casters. Sometimes you can reflect 2 or 3 spells at once if they all cast simultaneously – damage reduction, threat and extra dps, all good things!

Spazlord
06-22-2009, 11:29 PM
To hold against AoE DPS, be sure to Tab-target a lot. Tab Shield Slam, Tab Revenge, Tab Devastate, Thunderclap on cooldown, Shockwave on cooldown and queue Cleave on every swing. Spell Reflect is a winner if you have casters. Sometimes you can reflect 2 or 3 spells at once if they all cast simultaneously damage reduction, threat and extra dps, all good things!

Valalvax
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM
One nice thing to do is hit Shockwave on casters

Then wait for the stun, and as soon as they start casting again, might take a few seconds, hit Spell reflect, assuming all of the spells take the same amount of time, and most mob spells do, you'll reflect them all

KefZz
06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Personally I've found manually targeting the mobs is better than spamming tab. Just use 1 ability on each mob as well as spamming HS and TC/Shockwave on their cd's