PDA

View Full Version : New to Tanking Need Tank Master's advice

gavinski
06-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi All

firstly i have been playing wow for around 8 months but most of that was on my rogue character. i created a DK and have leveled him to 80 and have mostly a blood spec 57-5-9 i have asked to be the main tank in my guild but feel real uneasy about doing it.

1) have i got the right specs ?? is frost or unholy better
2) have i got the right gear what do i need to do to improve gear enchantments etc
3) what Combo's do i use for tanking HC's i did utgarde keep hc last night and felt i stuggled to keep the aggro.

i dont want to let my team down as does anyone i might sound stupid but i find tanking hard.i have read some of the threads in here allready about tanking as blood but as everyone has different gear talents etc its a bit confusing if someone cant spend a little time explaning and telling me what to do right ill feel confident to carry on tanking thanks again guys hope to hear from someone soon here is my character on WOW Armory

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Daggerspine&n=Skullhorn)

Berzerker
06-19-2009, 07:56 AM
step 1: get uncrittable. In heroics this is at 535 defense, or 540 for 10/25 man raids. Start with http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/41986-cider-s-easy-540-defense-gear-guide.html

gavinski
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
ok i am now uncritable with 535 def i think i have the right gem's on but i found it hard to get to the 535 i have a couple of epics i cant even wear because when i do the def drops :( i have icebane girdle and staggering legplates which r left in my bags but now i have done this what other info can you give a starting tank ? any chance someone can have alook at my armor / talents and combos to use ?

Adonae
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
The information you're asking for is detailed in various guides already, read through the material.

Kurtosis
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
The information you're asking for is detailed in various guides already, read through the material.
This ^^, and start here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/41670-tankspot-s-official-guides-articles-listing.html). Everything you need to know about gear.

Some basic advice - you have a lot of frost resistance gear, which is useful occasionally, but you'll need alternative gear with more defense and avoidance where the FR gear isn't useful. You also need to grind your rep for enchants and some gear (it only really sucks for Hodir, since they have no tabbard. For the others, just wear the tabbard in Heroics, you'll get exalted pretty quick. For Hodir, farm gold and buy Relics of Ulduar from the AH while also doing the Hodir dailies. Lots of Relics available now that most serious raiders have got their rep up, relics drop from HoS and HoL, and most of those get AH'd.):

Sons of Hodir: Exalted (shoulder enchant)
Kirin Tor: Exalted (epic tank gloves)
Wyrmrest Accord: Revered (chest, cloak)
Argent Crusade: Revered (head enchant)
(iirc, check with the guides to make sure)

Regarding your spec, I think Frost is easier to start tanking with. I'm not certain b/c I haven't tanked as Blood, however Blood is my off-spec so I'm not unfamiliar with it. The benefits to Frost are:

1. Single disease. The only Frost ability that benefits from Blood Plague is Obliterate, so you can safely forgo using Plague Strike and Pestilence. Just glyph Howling Blast to keep Frost Fever up 100%, and that's one less thing you have to worry about while tanking. More experienced tanks might not have a problem with this, but for those of us still learning, simplifying DK tanking by not having to think about keeping diseases up lets you focus more on situational awareness, adds, positioning, movement, etc. That's huge imho.

2. Howling Blast. 3 AoE abilities - DnD, HB, BB. Lay these down at the start of any group pull, or in the middle of a boss fight that summons adds, and they stick to you like glue. You might be able to replicate that AoE in Blood with Death Runes and DnD + BB, though, since BB is heavily buffed in a Blood Build, but I haven't tried.

Not sure how Frost's Effective Health compares to Blood. Frost has better mitigation, Blood has better healing. I'm sure Tankspot or Elitist Jerks has figured this out somewhere...

gavinski
06-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Thanks a million i have now been able to tank UK,Nexus,VH,AN with only one wipe "when a pet decided to agro a whole load of mobs i am still blood spec and found the rotation of DND,Plague Strike and Pestilence and i thow in some taunts if im starting to lose threat which occansionaly happens espicially when a rogue joins in ?? is this the best sort of combo to use u think ?