PDA

View Full Version : Can't generate and hold threa tot well

RooTxBeeR
06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I am a DK tank well geared, full 25 naxx geared getting into 10 and 25 Ulduar. I do not know why but I am having threat problems, a DK tank in my guild in blood tank spec can genearte 5-7k easily I can barely do 3-5k. I just really need some suggestions so I can keep my threat.

Faladir
06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Well as far as I can see you are a unholy specced Dk. wich means the folloing: You AoE treath will be much higher then the Blood Dk, but your single target treath will be lower.
Also your unholy spec is a bit off, it has a lot of useless talents like ebon plague and on a pale horse. You might want to respec to 13/8/50 (http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0055300000000000000000000000305000000000000000 0000000000205230035000012233051003103150) Or take an balanced frost spec wich will give you avarage AoE and Single target treath.

Also, what also much Dk's dont do but increases you treath by very much is binding Rune Strike to each skill that you use.

Deathliche
06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I am an unholy tank, and I love my build. On a Pale Horse is not a bad talent, I use it more for filler and utility though. The alternatives are reduced death grip (bad excuse for dark command), slight auto attack increase, or extra spell hit... I have no threat issues, unless I get in a single target threat war with the pally tank in my guild :D, but even then we go back and forth on single target threat. My build isn't the best, but it can be a lot worse. Anti magic zone is... (no better way to say this) horrible. Don't take it. Ever. For an unholy rune, it will mess with your rotation and be gone in a flash in a raid. I'm sorry, but if Faladir believes Ebon Plaguebringer is a useless talent... that's sad, and he should re-read what it does. The internal cooldown on scent of blood is too long for it to be a decent rune power generator.
My build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0E0oZ0xZ0ghIzbdxcqMcsut)
It has some faults, like Corpse explosion (useless) and rune tap (underused), but I am a little OCD in that I like every talent to have it's max points and I hate putting those 2 anywhere else except butchery if you're RP starved.

Tips for threat:
Use rune strike whenever you can in a single target situation.
AoE Rotation: DnD - IT - PS - Pest - Un.Bl. - BB - BB - SS -SS
Single Target: IT - PS - BS - BS - SS - SS -SS -SS
Always keep up your diseases in every situation, the glyphs of Scourge Strike and disease are great at this.
Don't let your RP hit 100. Is UB up? If no, use it. Do you need the RP for a CD like IBF soon? If no, and if you have UB up, death coil. Alternatively, if you have Corpse Explosion and more than 2 adds, use it.
Last, and the most important thing, always use frost presence. I am sometimes asked to dps on fights that only take 1 tank, and sometimes forget to switch out of blood again. Don't be like me. :D

When in doubt, you can always make your own build. Any tanking build that has the 5/5/5 will work, and extra mitigation further down the trees can only help.

Jaeden
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Well as far as I can see you are a unholy specced Dk. wich means the folloing: You AoE treath will be much higher then the Blood Dk, but your single target treath will be lower.

Don't be so sure.

Also your unholy spec is a bit off, it has a lot of useless talents like ebon plague and on a pale horse. You might want to respec to 13/8/50 (http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0055300000000000000000000000305000000000000000 0000000000205230035000012233051003103150) Or take an balanced frost spec wich will give you avarage AoE and Single target treath.

You can be average, or you can have outstanding "treath." Ebon Plaguebringer is not useless. You should read the tool tip at full points.

Also, what also much Dk's dont do but increases you treath by very much is binding Rune Strike to each skill that you use.

This DK much does ;)

I disagree on your glyph choices, Deathliche. Imo you should take these:

Glyph of Bone Shield
Glyph of Rune Strike
Glyph of Death and Decay

The Rune Strike glyph is for single target/focus target threat. the other two are for mitigation and improved ae damage/threat respectively.

You have some missing talents in your build, Deathliche, that in my experience will be detrimental.

I was going to give you a point by point, but just look at mine.