PDA

View Full Version : Threat vs Avoidance, Professions

Chareth
06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I am a Prot Warrior in my guild, I generally OT heroic raids and MT/OT the weekend 10 man we do depending on the boss. My gear is as follows:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skywall&n=Chareth)

We have recently defeated Yogg in our 25 man (although I missed that night) and have been doing so in our 10 for a number of weeks, but my problem is that our healers have a harder time keeping me up than they do our other tanks, including warriors.

I have read on the forums here that quite a few tanks are chosing a route of avoidance over one of threat generation and so I am wondering if there is a minimum Expertise/Hit I could target as I try to increase my avoidance. Since from what I am told I am good on both stats currently I am looking to perhaps decrease them a little bit in order to improve my parry/block stats.

I am using chardev to try and plan out a map since I also have other tanking drops, this just seemed to be way to optimize my threat. Any suggestions and comments are always welcome be it items, spec, enchants or even professions since I am leaning towards dropping Mining for BS once I hear what the new Toughness will be worth.... Ewww farming ore again, but whatever. Thanks in advance.

Chareth Cutestory - Pirate Lawyer

vonholck
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
well your gear is pretty damn good.

however there are a few things, you are way over the def cap, get rid of the def enchants on cloak and shiled, go for 22agi and titanium plating instead. you also have too much hit, currently you would have to change out gear to lower it, and i dont know what you have in the bank, but try to aim for 7% (around 230 cant remember the exact number).

As for survivability, one thing you could try is taking up improved diciplines, and loosing your sunder and revenge glyphs for last stand and shieldwall. currently the game is designed around bosses having one or two really hard hitting abilities, and having your oh shit cooldowns up more often will help you combat that.

As for the whole threat vs survivability discussion, there are ofc no difinitive answer and it will always be about balancing, but currently threat really dont seem like a problem, so even if you go allout for survivability, it should be ok. I myself am only focussing on HP and avoidance, and threat issues are extremely rare for me atm.