PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Ready?

Garshek
06-18-2009, 03:19 AM
I just got back into my warrior after rushing him to 80 as Arms and then going back to level my priest. I've found a new interest in tanking (since Dual Spec makes it so simple to switch around to grind!) and so I started working on a tanking set. Now, I didn't have access to much in the way of quest rewards (since most of those went to my DPS set I built along the way) so I've been trying to do what I can with just reg 5-mans, BoE Crafted, and Profession stuff.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Crushridge&n=Garshek)

Armory there.

I'd like to start moving into heroics but my guild seems reluctant to take me in. They are Uldar geared so I think they just dont want to "throttle back" DPS for a newb tank. Am I geared enough to PuG Heroics and hold my own?

I know I'm over the Def Cap and I'm probably gonna switch out 1 of my +16 def gems for a +Sta gem (since I know my HP is a bit low). I also plan on getting +18 STA on my shield (it was just crafted prior to typing this post).

So the real question is, Spec OK? Gear OK to start? Best Heroic to start with?

Thanks guys! I've been reading through a lot of this site and it's full of great information. I think I know the answer to my question, but I'd like to get a bit of a critique from those who know much, MUCH more than me!

Sytillus
06-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Ok I was looking around today for some of my own advice when I saw your post and from an old warriors tank point of view here is what I can tell you

Question on your spec your just fine there..I have to ask is the glyph of cleaving worth while tanking? I question this because my pick would have to be Glyph of Devastate it would cut down on having to spam it to get the 5 stacks of sunder up which you in turn could switch up your rotation and throw a few more moves in for quicker threat

As to where to start for better gear if your money stack and take the hits get a Armor Plated Combat Shotgun from an enginner and drop the lvl 70 old tank gun it already comes with more stam then the oldie and it has a blue socket(blizzard did something right for a change) which you throw in the +24 stam gem into for the bonus and boom even more stam

Now as far as where you should start with on runs best thing I could say is get with a healer and talk it over with them see where they have problems or where its cake to them..I stand firm on saying a tank is only as good as the healer behind them!! and with that being said yes you are heroic ready but some runs will be more hell on your group then others

Last and I had to do the same when I had my warrior tank..You might want to think about going into a few heroics as DPS and start to build up a tank set befor stepping off into a heroic as a tank atlest a few peice's not saying to do it for your whole set but it never hurts to be a bit more prepared then to start earning yourself a bad rep on your server as a tank who doesnt know how to

Well I hope this helps answer a few things

Garshek
06-18-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm an engineer (3 pts away from shotgun) so Im trying to hold off until I can make it myself. But thanks, I'd actually forgotten I still had that old gun!

A good buddy of mine has a resto shaman and he has said he will heal for me through heroics (he's Uldar geared) so I'm certain I will have some great heals to back me up if I get into it.

I went with cleaving vs devestate for AoE tanking. I find that I'm using SS, Revenge, HS, and SW far more than Devastate on multi-mob tanking. Throwing a cleave into my rotation seemed (to me) to be the better way to go about holding a bit of aggro. If I were MTing or OTing things I would probably have devastate glyph for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for the comment on the spec, I was trying to stick to the "cookie cutter" but I did swap a few points out of fury and was hoping that wasn't going to cause any major problems.

Blue
06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Best starter Heroics are Utgarde Keep and Nexus. With uber-healer, you're problems may only be in learning the mechanics of the fights. Good tank loot can be found in Gundrak and Occulus, but Occ is going to be a bit of a steeper learning curve. Good axe in there, though.
Right now, your best bet for a decent weapon is to Argent Tourney...I don't know Horde, but Alliance has a really nice one-hand axe there.
Sounds as though you might want to try a few of the dungeons on normal mode, to practice your tanking moves. Just a suggestion, since I get the impression you're new to the role.

Don't forget to glyph all your slots (looked like you had one blank?)

Good luck!

Garshek
06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I've been watching the AH for another minor glyph but there haven't been many up lately. I've been practicing normal dungeons for the past few days and put together some macros with the help of another warrior. Thanks for the tips on the easiest heroics to start with. I did tank a heroic VH once with my "pocket healer" and the only issue was that DPS had to "throttle back" but they knew they would. I'm gonna log in now and pick up some more +sta gems since I'm WELL over the Def Cap thanks to the trinket I just picked up.

I've not even looked INTO the argent tourney, I'll have to do some diggin' on that!

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated!

Garshek
07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd like to bump this thread and ask a new question in it! With my current gear where should I be headed? I know there are some things out of Naxx10 yet that would be an improvement but I also am curious as to what's the "max" I can take, gear wise. I'm fairly comfortable with tanking now although I'm not sure what my average TPS is off the top of my head (it disappears from Omen so quickly, is there an option I'm missing that will make that number stick around like a DPS meter?)

Thanks in advance everyone!