PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar 25, Rage & Threat Problems

Squirrelnut
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I was having issues tonight running Ulduar25 with regard to both rage and threat.

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ner%27zhul&cn=Squirrelnut)

First off the rage issue; I am almost NEVER able to spam heroic strike non-stop even when MTing boss fights. A couple main difference between my current spec & the old Nax 15/5/51 spec that allowed me to do so is that I am using 2 points in Imp Disc and 1 extra point in Shield Specialization instead of having 3 points in Focused Rage. Also I currently have glyph of Vigilance instead of Revenge (to go with Shield Wall & Last Stand).

I need to be able to maintain the 2 minute cooldowns for Shieldwall and Last Stand so I need to keep the Imp Disc however I suppose I could pull 1 point from Shield Spec and perhaps 2 points from Cruelty to get the 3 points back in Focused Rage? Not sure if that would be worthwhile. And the other option of considering using glyph of Revenge instead of Vigilance is also iffy.

With regard to threat I simply don't stack up to the DK & Pally tanks I had with me in AOE threat especially when lacking rage. That is fairly expected due to our mechanics but the more important problem was that I was even having threat issues on Bosses since we are doing some hard modes (Hodir for example). When we have locks/mages dropping 5-8k dps in general and 10-13k dps on buffed fights like Hodir it is a difficult task to keep a threat lead despite having Vigilance on one of them. Even worse I am unable to spam Heroic Strike non-stop even on the Hodir fight because I still become rage deprived at times.

Any suggestions? There are varous gear upgrades I need (such as 4pc bonus & hardmode drops) but beyond that I am trying to see how I could improve without having to fall back on the UA build. Ideally I would like to be able to keep my off-spec as Arms DPS so my goal is to find a gear set/spec/glyphs that can handle all situations.

EDIT: FYI I feel stuck with keeping Shield Wall and Last Stand glyphs because my guild prefers to cooldown through General and avoid kiting

Mookey
06-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Start from old nax spec

1) Trade Cruelty for imp disc
2) Take SW/LS/Blocking glyphs

Put vigilance on classes that are not dumping their aggro (not on warlocks, mages, hunters, rogues) and you wont need to glyph it.

Playing without Focused Rage is like trying to run with weight on your feet.

Squirrelnut
06-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Sounds like good advice, thanks i'll give it a shot. However you say I should NOT put vigilance on warlocks, mages, hunters rogues? I was under the impression that warlocks and non-arcane mages were the two best vigilance targets especially since they are the ones that rocket up around 9-13k dps on a buffed fight like 25m Hodir hard mode.

Last night even with vigilance on him one of our warlocks was constantly on the edge of pulling agro until we got him to pay more attention to breaking out NPCs since pulling angro and getting 1 shot didn't really help us anyway lol. I almost never vigilance hunters and rarely rogues but please explain the reasoning behind not doing locks/mages.

gabbu
06-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I almost never vigilance hunters and rarely rogues but please explain the reasoning behind not doing locks/mages.

The reason I dont put it on mages and lock is that like rogue and hunter that have aggro dumps too in form of soulshatter and invis (not sure about mage tbh). So if they dump aggro, the transfer aggro on you becomes lower.

When we raid my primary target for vig is a DPS warrior, fury or arms does not matter, their aggro is always through the roof anyways.

My 2nd choice is primarily a Shadow Priest or Warlock, but if we had DPS shammy in the raid I would pick them over the above 2.

I hope that helps

Squirrelnut
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
So if our lock is on the verge of pulling aggro even with Vigilance on him... he should be dumping his aggro with Soulshatter? (I have never played a lock so I am not sure what that is or if they need to be specced into it)

If that is the case then last night our lock was fail because apparently he wasn't doing so lol. I suppose I could go with the DPS warrior as he was doing around 7kdps on Hodir last night, but when the lock is doing around 12kdps and on the verge of pulling anyway I hadn't thought to do so.

After looking up Soulshatter I see there is a 5min cooldown on it so perhaps he did it and simply caught up in threat again. Hopefully the adjustment to my spec will provide enough rage to allow me to increase my overal TPS so it will be less of an issue.

Tonylicious
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I would probably start with Vig on the Warlock if hes routinely riding you. Swap it to someone else at around the first flash freeze if anyone is close.

If one of your mages is getting an early storm power buff they should be able to give you a huge threat lead.

Basically they burn CDs/trinks and just before they hit 130% threat they pop Mirror Images. Continue burning, if they're well geared and have a beam they should easily get to 150-200% of your threat. Simply have them tell you a couple seconds before MI drops, taunt, they invis (if invis fails you intervene/have them HoS'd), and congrats you now have a rediculous amount of threat.

Mookey
06-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Make sure that (for hard mode) they all get all buffs they can - position themselfs on safe spot and nuke everything they have during Flash Freze - as soon as Flash Freeze is done - TAUNT - and they use their reducing abilities.

Basically they burn CDs/trinks and just before they hit 130% threat they pop Mirror Images. Continue burning, if they're well geared and have a beam they should easily get to 150-200% of your threat. Simply have them tell you a couple seconds before MI drops, taunt, they invis (if invis fails you intervene/have them HoS'd), and congrats you now have a rediculous amount of threat.

Exactly. After flesh freeze taunt - use mage trick... What Tony said or if you need more info check Vene's post: Hodirs Mage Trick and More! - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/05/19/hodirs-mage-trick-and-more/)