PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the tanking life.

GalaMoridin
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Just wanted some more experienced advice on this topic. Plus, thought it would be an interesting thread. I recently started tanking and found it to be a more gold demanding job then DPS.

Currently I make the bulk of my gold from dailies. I also cut gems and put them on the AH, but that can be a hit or miss thing depending on the server economy/demand. I've always found mining/propspecting to be good, though it can be time consuming and very dependent on the server population also mining.

Just wanted to hear from anyone who is willing to share their secrets/sucesses at supporting their tank lifestyle. I know it can be hard to give away a good farming spot and I don't expect it. Just want to see what works for everyone else.

hbombs
06-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Runed orbs. If you have any to spare. I have paid for all my raiding expenses via valor bracers and runed orbs.

When I am in a pinch I do the argent tournament dailies.

Crono
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
TBH, having a second character is the only way I can support it.

I spend a few hours a week mining on my healy priest until I have 10 to 15 stacks of Saronite, and I prospect all of it on my DK. With the green gems and the eternals I get while mining, I use my 70 warlock who I only use for his alchemy to xmute them into uncut metas and then sell them by cutting them on my DK.

Overall, my characters are built to support each other. My warlock herbs for my DK's inscription and his own alch, my priest enchants my other characters' gear since he's on another account and mines for my DK's JC, and my DK crafts the things my other characters get into things to make money.

That, and as a JC I can turn eternals into rings that I can DE with my priest, and the enchanting mats sell fairly well.

It's really just about having professions that support each other and can make you decent amounts of gold.

Tarigar
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
What I discovered as of recent is fishing in wintergrasp(all the fish for fish feasts). And the other thing i do is the same concept but how you go about it is different. First is to go mine cobalt and craft the Horned Cobalt Helm. From there I send it off to an enchanter for d/e. Or what i will do is buy the cobalt ore/bars off AH. I will not spend more than 25g a stack for ore.

Cobalt=25g-30g a stack
Infinite Dust=65-100g a stack
Greater Cosmic=14-20g single
Dream Shard=20-35g a shard

One day i saw ore and alot of it from 20g-24g75s. I bought 440 ore for ~500g. Spent 30 minutes smelting and crafting most of the time I was afk for it. Then d/ed all the helms. I came up with 8 stacks of dust, 18 greaters, 1 shard and I returned 900g from AH. So about 400g profit.

xenogriff
06-22-2009, 12:09 AM
generally dailies will cover me - if i'm just running heroics

also raid bosses drop a lot of gold - eg: naxx10 full clear should provide enough gold for 3 full repairs ie: everything broken

all really depends on how often u die i guess....

vonholck
06-22-2009, 04:15 AM
being a tank gives the ability to solo stuff!

I dont really know how well this work as a DK (playing warrior myself), and block might be the reason i can do this so easily, but i usually just farm normal botanica.

I can make a run in aroung 25-30 min, this gives around 90-100g in money drops and vendor trash, in adition you will get alot of greens to DE, arcane tomes and marks.

on my server atleast, arcane dust still sell for around 3g a piece, essences 15-20g and tomes are around 10g. And a bonus on all these items is that they dont cost anything to throw up on the AH. all in all, i think i make around 250g/hour this way.

Spazlord
06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I run ZG a bit, for about 23g per boss + drops. Easy couple hundred gold for an hour or so, and a chance at the raptor and tiger mounts.