PDA

View Full Version : Fallout from Army of the Dead?

SageGaspar
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm just starting off as a tank and a couple times the past few days I've had DKs decide it was time to use Army when I pulled Keristrasza, Mal'ganis, and one other boss I forget that subsequently meant I couldn't get rage for shit in addition to the awesome cone AEs flying around. One of them also took the time to tell me thank god the healer was carrying the group on Keristrasza because obviously my aggro was not adequate to her Army, which was a nice cherry on top :P

I've taken to preemptively warning DKs that this is a bad idea, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks you can use as a prot warrior once they're deployed to get control back, or is it just a matter of strapping in and hoping your healer is on the ball?

Faladir
06-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Only option is your 2nd choice, the army will keep taunting untill their dead. you can taunt yourself wich will give you aggro back for like a second but that all.

Oh btw, using army on something that does aoe in a cone to the front or back = ftw ;)

coe
06-17-2009, 02:40 AM
@SageGaspar, using Army is not a good idea on instance bosses. In raids, they don't taunt, so it's dps boost overall. But in instances it is a mess usually.

As DPS, I use Army only in raids. As tank, I use Army when we have o-sh*t situation (while DK is channeling this spell he receives much less damage). So using Army on bosses that are tauntable and have frontal aoe attacks is bad ;)

Shortypop
06-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Army of the dead on Ignis == absolute pain trying to keep adds under control :(

Faladir
06-17-2009, 04:54 AM
ye kinda, but it helped or well, forced us to do the shatter achiev

RialÚv
06-17-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm just starting off as a tank and a couple times the past few days I've had DKs decide it was time to use Army when I pulled Keristrasza, Mal'ganis, and one other boss I forget that subsequently meant I couldn't get rage for shit in addition to the awesome cone AEs flying around. One of them also took the time to tell me thank god the healer was carrying the group on Keristrasza because obviously my aggro was not adequate to her Army, which was a nice cherry on top :P

I've taken to preemptively warning DKs that this is a bad idea, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks you can use as a prot warrior once they're deployed to get control back, or is it just a matter of strapping in and hoping your healer is on the ball?

I've made this mistake one time and one time only as a DK Tank. It was on Cyanigosa in VH.

Had I read the tooltip i'd have known better... but honestly there's nothing you can really do that maintain aggro from Army of the Win.

Jaeden
06-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Fail DK's don't read and understand tooltips. You did fine.

Molohk
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I am curious, do DR on Taunt apply to AotD? If this was the case, assuming a single target, the boss would be immune after the 3rd ghoul taunt.

But yeah, when a DK does something like that, I just make sure to explain the group what happened, so they realize who's the real noob in the group.

Jaeden
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
I am curious, do DR on Taunt apply to AotD? If this was the case, assuming a single target, the boss would be immune after the 3rd ghoul taunt.

I wish, but unfortunately, it is not a real taunt like our spells. It's a momentary "look at me" ability not subject to DR. They will get attention until they die or expire.

Tarigar
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Honestly I just tell dk's not to army on bosses in heroics. As it limits my threat gain anyways. Tell them if they want to army wait till you die first :).

Raids it is a none issue. I don't have this problem and armies help a ton in Thorim's Arena.

Inaara
06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
AotD was extremely usefull on our server first Naxx. It was like Thaddius didn't even have an enrage! O.o lol

Kurtosis
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
AotD was extremely usefull on our server first Naxx. It was like Thaddius didn't even have an enrage! O.o lol
Meaning, a DK popped it during enrage (back when Army taunted in raids) and you guys were able to dps him almost all the way down b/f he killed all the Army?

Kurtosis
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
@OP: as a DK tank I can pop Army on a few H 5man bosses and be ok - Cyanagosa (her AoE doesn't seem to do much damage to other party members), Ingvar, and some others without serious AoE or tail swipe.

Not Keristrasza, the one time I tried it on her, her tail swipe knocked me across the room every time I come in range until Army was dead. It was only rng luck that I hadn't just got knocked across the room as she killed the last ghoul and then went after a closer dps or my healer.

The benefit when you can use it is it lets the group take a significant chunk of health out of the boss b/f it even starts targetting me, usually about 1/2 in the case of Cyanagosa. And when Army is all dead I just taunt to put myself at the top of her aggro list, then proceed tanking. On Heroic pugs, when I've noticed on prior boss fights that my healer is struggling to keep up, I find it worth popping Army on the final or hardest boss to get that head start on killing it.

Having said that, I wouldn't want a dps DK popping Army when I'm tanking a H 5man, just b/c I don't trust them (unless they're dps'ing off-spec, and are a tank main spec). Most DK's aren't familiar with the tanking mechanics of the three other tank classes either (raises hand), and forget warrior and druid tanks need to build up rage first to effectively maintain threat (drops hand). It would probably be worth reminding them at the start of the pug, along with requests not to pop Army if they don't want wipe, unless you've already died.

Damonvile
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
@SageGaspar, using Army is not a good idea on instance bosses. In raids, they don't taunt, so it's dps boost overall. But in instances it is a mess usually.

They do taunt in raids they just don't taunt bosses. Doing Ignus with an AotD running around is a huge pain because until they're dead you can't get any of the constructs into the fire :mad:

coe
06-19-2009, 04:08 AM
@Damonvile: good point, I poped army yesterday on Ignis and it was harder to kite construct ;) We killed him anyway, but I won't use that ability on Ignis anymore ;)

Faladir
06-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Not like it matters much, its easy untill you have the 5th construct alive, Ignis his dmg gets insane then

Martie
06-19-2009, 04:54 AM

Okay, my opinion on this may be a bit off, since I'm a paladin tank. (So my rage bar starts full instead of empty.)

I actually kinda like it when dk's do stuff like that. The boss won't be hitting anyone, so not too much worries about healing. (Sure, sometimes an AoE goes in the wrong direction, but that's offset by the boss doing jack all for the rest.) Just Melee a bit, throw in a taunt when four or so are dead, and then once the last one dies, taunt again. You'll have a huge threat lead, and the fight basically starts here with the boss at lower health.
Sure, you shouldn't be doing much else then meleeing the boss a bit, and that's boring, but it makes the rest of the a bit easier.

Klimpen
06-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Army is stupidly annoying on any fight with adds which need to be controlled.

Like Emalon.

facepalm.jpg

gnomeh
06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
If a DK can't say to himself "Popping AOTD during this fight is a bad idea," then he is a fail DK. Part of a good DK is not only realizing when to pop AOTD, but when not to. Some fights its OK if you pop it right away, others you should maybe wait for a certain point.
During Kologarn for example, pop it right away or don't pop it. If those adds spawn from the arm and AOTD is up, causes a huge mess. Most heroic bosses, who needs AOTD to get shit done? One DK I run with it will pop it for the LOL factor, but those new to heroics, it would be a bad idea. Specially last boss of the Nexus, have fun getting eaten by her conal attack. I would call any DK who seriously thought it was an awesome idea to pop AOTD during that fight a FAIL.

As for building rage, just wait for the AOTD to absorb as much damage as possible and taunt off when the last one is dead. Don't worry about threat generation, you have a bunch of mindless zombies running around wanting to get beat on.