PDA

View Full Version : Block rating question

yamanx
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Can you have too much block rating on a warrior? I have a 34% chance to block along with 25 dodge and 17% parry or do I need to even them out??

Heladys
06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
There's never a need to "even them out", but that kind of block rating is a huge waste of itemization for raiding level tanking. You'll just end up feeling really squishy to your healers.

Hengist
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Basically every stat that comes on tanking gear is better investment than block rating, outside of tanking trash and heroics.

chinster
06-16-2009, 11:40 PM
So basically what you are saying, is that dodge and parry and HP are much more valuable stats compared to shield block and amount blocked?

Reason I ask, is that I'm trying out the Unrelenting Assault build, and find it easy to grind with, close to no downtime, close to no hp loss etc, and I've read and understood that you need a close to 75% avoidance (block/dodge/parry) to make this work. And it's hard to get that high amount of parry and dodge, compared to block :)

Superspy23
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
So basically what you are saying, is that dodge and parry and HP are much more valuable stats compared to shield block and amount blocked?

Reason I ask, is that I'm trying out the Unrelenting Assault build, and find it easy to grind with, close to no downtime, close to no hp loss etc, and I've read and understood that you need a close to 75% avoidance (block/dodge/parry) to make this work. And it's hard to get that high amount of parry and dodge, compared to block :)

Block isn't really avoidance, it's just a damage reducing stat relevant to your block value. Also don't forget miss. Raid bosses (lvl 83) have a 4.4% base chance to miss and you can add to that the miss chance listed when you hover over your defensive skill.

loquatious
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Its not that terrible a stat for tanking trash - esp if you are an effective AOE tank and can hold 5-15 mobs.

For bosses in Ulduar 10 or 25 its a disaster. Basically if the gear has Block Rating on it seriously evaluate whether or not its an upgrade.

Put more simply - Block rating is slightly superior to MP5 or Spirit on Plate :-)

yamanx
06-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Why is block so bad? If you increase the block value along with % wouldnt that be good to also help keep rage (With a warrior)?