PDA

View Full Version : Getting pwned by Mimiron.

Wodiman
06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi, I'm a protection warrior and my guilds MT. When we reached Mimiron we went in and I lasted no more then 40 seconds. I was running out to avoid some of the damage from plasma blast. But still getting crushed. So for the time being we're using a DK for their fast CD's. What can I do to stay alive through phase 1.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Wodiman)

Karatheya
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Running away from Plasma Blast does nothing. It's a channelled effect on you.

What is killing you? If it's Plasma Blast, you need to get some kind of "save" up during it (Shield Wall, Last Stand, Pain Suppression, Guardian Spirit, etc.), or increase healing. Three healers can keep you up without any saves so long as they offset their heals so you're not getting massive overheal followed by three seconds of no heals at all).

If it's Shock Blast, you have to be better at running out. I find that running out for Shock Blast is easier if I line up a clear path behind about 5 seconds before his CD is up, then rotate my camera 180 degrees (continuing to do my rotation of course). When I see him start casting shock blast, I just hold both mouse buttons to run out safely. Do another 180 once you're clear, and repeat to run back in.

If it's the mines, you need to change your viewing angle and positioning so that you always have a clear path to run out directly behind you.

Really, Plasma Blast is the only thing that should be causing problems in P1, and the remedies are simple.

Phase 4 on the other hand ... heh

Velovan
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
If the DK has done his homework and is out-tanking you, you're probably not the guild's Main Tank. Just a thought.

I'm going to assume that Plasma Blast is what's pwning you. Turning your back on it is a terrible idea. You need to stand in for it. It's a channeled spell that deals a ton of damage that can't be out-ranged. Not to mention that running out for that, and running out for the shockwave is probably gimping your threat and holding your DPS back.

Switching tanks to a DK is unecessary as long as the Warrior is worth his salt. Our guild uses a Warrior MT just fine. He shield walls through the first plasma blast, uses Last Stand and extra heals through the second. If there's another, use an outside cooldown to get through #3. I'm sure a Pally with HoS and DS or a Priest with PS would be happy to do so. You shouldn't have to take a 4th. If you do, your dps needs to crank it up.

Wodiman
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Well its the only fight the DK tanks b/c he can't hold threat on any other fight. But I am shield walling in first and I die every time. I've even tried shield walling and using enrage regeneration, stoneform for the bonus armor. Still death. Would it be bad heals or is there somethign i'm doing incorrect.

Kalaazar
07-01-2009, 05:31 AM
If you are shield-walled and still dying on plasma blast, healers may be a problem.

But definitely stop trying to run from plasma blast :-) Plasma blast is like chuck norris, you can run, but you cant hide...

Durundal
07-01-2009, 06:48 AM
It sounds like one of your healers must be slacking, because your Shield Wall should remove more damage than his cooldowns.There is really no reason for you to die with Shield Wall, but for him to live while using weaker cooldowns.

shez
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
definitely healer problem, if you have used shield wall and still dying.

this is how we do it

on plasma blast
1. shield wall
2. last stand
3. OT taunts and uses his cd / you can reaplce it with healer cd, e.g. ps/gs

shock blast -> run out, charge back in.

If you were running out of plasma blast, your healers could have lost you because you went out of range, thats a possibility

Molohk
07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
The fight is very intense for healers (wait till you get to phase 2). You need a cooldown for every Plasma Blast, and even with the cooldown you'll take a lot of damage.

On your first few attempts, healers are also trying to figure out how to stay out of the fire and stay alive, once they are used to the positioning it should be much easier for them to keep you alive.

Sounds like there's some confusion, make sure you're using cooldowns for plasma blast, and running out for shock blast, not the other way around.

law90026
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Like others have said, always have a CD for each Plasma Blast.

For us, it's most commonly:
1) Shield Wall;
2) External CD (pain suppression, guardian spirit, pally bubble);
3) Last Stand with Shield Block (4 piece T8) bonus).

You do need to time it right though. I've whiffed on timing once in a while .. and it's often a wipe as a result.

Terrybull
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I tank Mimi, and we use something like this setup.

1st Plasma Blast: Last Stand + Guardian Spirit
2nd Plasma Blast: Shield Wall
3rd Plasma Blast: Pally bubble + priest shields (or another GS)

Once we started doing that I've not died to the dot in a long time. You might want to check that it's not the Shockwave that isn't gibbing you. You must run away from that.

Skaggi
07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Hey there!

As countless others have said

Plasma Blast: Raise your shield and take the beating

If that one's getting you, then you either don't get the healing you need or you're missing an external cooldown after your shield-wall was used for another one

but then do it a little different

Shockwave: Get the hell out of there

Don't you dare and try running. Warriors were given Intervene (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=41198) for a reason... :D (hate doing that one on my pally)
Just charge back in and you're golden besides doing the trick that no other tank class can do like a warrior >> Avoiding the blast an not moving Mimiron a single pixel from his position

Cheers!
Skaggi

Fayre
07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Don't underestimate the amount of healing you will need, even with Shield Wall and other cooldowns up. Every available healer who doesn't have to see to damage in the raid should be focussed fully on you.

Karatheya
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Don't underestimate the amount of healing you will need, even with Shield Wall and other cooldowns up. Every available healer who doesn't have to see to damage in the raid should be focussed fully on you.

Indeed. Several people have intimated how much it is, but the hard numbers are:

120,000 damage on normal
180,000 damage on heroic

Unger
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree with most of what is posted here. My guild downed Mimiron for the first time last night (25 man) and we consistently made it to phase 4 before that. Use cooldowns for the plasma blast. Its easier when you have someone else do it. Ours is typically like this

Pally CD first
Pally CD second
Shield wall
Pain Suppression/Guardian Spirit (if you have a 4th, but you shouldnt)

Keep Last Stand for when someone screws up or goes late. Since the damage ticks, if you hit yellow with one tick and red with the next, you will need LS to make it.

For Shockwave, my experience is not to intervene. Someone could move out of range or they could shift to put a mine between the two of you. There is plenty of time to run out. He always shockwaves after plasma blast so I set up my camera facing away and pick my path. The moment he emotes, I hit both mouse buttons and Im out.

You can actually charge back in right as he blows up and not take damage. If you do this, you keep him in one place which makes the next set of mines overlap the previous ones. If he moves significantly, the next set could create an "Olympic Ring" type scenario that is unpleasant.

Good luck

law90026
07-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Here's one other thing that I do (which might be frowned upon) when running away from Shockwave:

I do not care about mines. When I tank Mimi P1, I charge in and hold him in one spot and I do not shift around trying to find a clear path with no mines to run out from after Shockwave. It's easier for my dps'ers as well since they can pick their spots without worrying that I'll be shifting all over the place.

Once plasma blast is done, I strafe out of there once the Shockwave starts to cast and charge back in at about 0.4-0.5s on the castbar. This allows me to ensure that Mimi hardly ever moves during P1.